The Student Room Group

Is this a strong a level subject combination?

Ok so I started off the year doing biology, chemistry and maths but currently I’m not enjoying biology at all so I’m going to swap it for English literature(deadline is this Wednesday).
I’m wondering if maths, chemistry and English literature is a good combination of a levels because no one seems to do it and what are the courses I could possibly do in the future?
I’m currently thinking of doing either chemistry or law(will probably change) at a top uni but essentially do these a levels give me good prospects?

Scroll to see replies

for law in uni u need a level in law
Original post by Unknown829919228
Ok so I started off the year doing biology, chemistry and maths but currently I’m not enjoying biology at all so I’m going to swap it for English literature(deadline is this Wednesday).
I’m wondering if maths, chemistry and English literature is a good combination of a levels because no one seems to do it and what are the courses I could possibly do in the future?
I’m currently thinking of doing either chemistry or law(will probably change) at a top uni but essentially do these a levels give me good prospects?

It would probably be best to study law to do a law course at university. It's not impossible to do it without one, but it's preferred you have a law a level
Original post by aliali119

There are no required a levels for law just some universities prefer an essay subject
Original post by ElectroHeartedL
It would probably be best to study law to do a law course at university. It's not impossible to do it without one, but it's preferred you have a law a level

I’m not even certain I want to do law so I don’t want to do a level law because it seems to be considered a ‘soft’ subject even for a law degree. I think doing an essay based subject like English lit would be better overall even if I don’t do a law degree?
I’m not even certain I want to do law so I don’t want to do a level law because it seems to be considered a ‘soft’ subject even for a law degree. I think doing an essay based subject like English lit would be better overall even if I don’t do a law degree?

That's right, you don't need A level Law - it is clearly stated on uni websites what they want and no uni asks for A level Law.

Hi there!

This can depend on a number of things, I would firstly suggest looking into any careers that you may like to get into with law and chemistry and also look into the entry requirements for degrees. It might be useful to look into the job profiles on our website to explore the various careers and requirements that you may need:

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

You could check UCAS to see if the universities you want to do chemistry and law with look into the specific subjects alongside the grades. You can do this by looking at the link below:

https://www.ucas.com/

I would also advise that you speak to the universities that you would like to apply for in the future to ask about their requirements and specifics on when it come to accepting the a-level subjects you're planning to do.

I hope this helps!

Good luck.
I’m currently thinking of doing either chemistry or law(will probably change) at a top uni but essentially do these a levels give me good prospects

I am aware that doing history is a good foundation block for doing law later on. I know that it is not the same but it certainly looks good to an employer or a university if they are aware that history is a subject you chose. I am in year 13 and happen to do both history and law and this I hope will further my chances in a great career of some sorts. And of course, history certainly isn't a soft subject.
Original post by TheRareSamuel
I am aware that doing history is a good foundation block for doing law later on. I know that it is not the same but it certainly looks good to an employer or a university if they are aware that history is a subject you chose. I am in year 13 and happen to do both history and law and this I hope will further my chances in a great career of some sorts. And of course, history certainly isn't a soft subject.

History is a great subject for law I think I just can’t do it because I didn't do history gcse in year 11 as I moved schools and they didn’t have spaces on the course so I had to drop it

Honestly, if you're not sure yet on whether you want to do law, English is a good way to go. As I said, law is only preferred by some places but not everyone on the course will have a law a level because at the end of the day, if you have other strong subjects, especially a essay based one, that is more practically beneficial in a uni's eyes. Also, English is versatile if you do change your mind before uni
History is a great subject for law I think I just can’t do it because I didn't do history gcse in year 11 as I moved schools and they didn’t have spaces on the course so I had to drop it

Why is it that you think that law is a soft subject anyway, it is UCAS points you need to get into Universities?
Original post by aliali119

This is arrant nonsense.
but it's preferred you have a law a level

No it isn't in almost all cases.
Original post by Good bloke
This is arrant nonsense.

Yes it is nonsense, but why would it "in almost all cases" be undesirable?
People hear different things. I've always heard that to apply to a subjects, it's preferred to have it. Not necessary to have as other factors help and other subjects link, but it's something a uni looks for. It's what I was always told by schools and uni's for my courses so sorry that I got something wrong

Schools do not always give the best advice as it may well be a PE teacher or similar doubling up as the school careers adviser. But Unis are neutral about Law A level, they don’t love it or hate it
This is arrant nonsense.

People hear different things. I've always heard that to apply to a subjects, it's preferred to have it. Not necessary to have as other factors help and other subjects link, but it's something a uni looks for. It's what I was always told by schools and uni's for my courses so sorry that I got something wrong
Why is it that you think that law is a soft subject anyway, it is UCAS points you need to get into Universities?

Well it depends which universities but most RG unis I think have grade requirements e.g AAA rather then UCAS points. I’m not sure about a level law tbh but I’ve done lots of research and it’s really not much of an advantage because apparently a level is completely different to uni and lots of people do law degrees without a level law.
Yes it is nonsense, but why would it "in almost all cases" be undesirable?

Because you may find a university that prefers candidates to have it. Many lecturers feel that A-level law actually misleads candidates and set them back in terms of learning the subject properly.
Because you may find a university that prefers candidates to have it. Many lecturers feel that A-level law actually misleads candidates and set them back in terms of learning the subject properly.

Like science when they tell you some things are actually not what has been taught and is something completely different.
Like science when they tell you some things are actually not what has been taught and is something completely different.

But more so.
their A levels, not pokemon. their is no "strong combination". as it is, all three of those are good A levels that open plenty of doors.

Quick Reply

Latest