The Student Room Group

Mental illness and A-Levels... do I tell my school?

Recently been diagnosed and currently in treatment for major depression, anxiety, panic disorder and OCD. Normally I would never share this with anyone, let alone my school, but now that I’m in my second year of A-Levels and my attendance was incredibly poor last year (and is this year so far), my grades are very low and my mental health is far too much to handle at the moment, I’m not quite sure what to do.

Does anyone have advice? You don’t need to have necessarily dealt with this before, but a few suggestions as to how to go about this would be much appreciated! Having a mare.
Yes, I would heartily encourage you to consider whom from amongst your staff is the best person to approach. Talking about it face to face will help you to unburden a little, and there are also lots of practical things that can help, such as notifying the exam boards before the special circumstances deadline (ask your school’s examinations officer), and arranging the facility to sit your papers in a separate room.
Definitely tell someone at school! It's so important to get the right help and support and for your teachers (or at least one member of staff) to know that you're not just skiving. I'm at uni and initially I tried to keep a lid on my mental health stuff but since telling my tutor (and then other tutors/teachers and support staff) I've had extra support that has kept me in uni and even just knowing that people understand what's going on actually helps my mental health! Really hope things work out for you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
Definitely tell someone at school! It's so important to get the right help and support and for your teachers (or at least one member of staff) to know that you're not just skiving. I'm at uni and initially I tried to keep a lid on my mental health stuff but since telling my tutor (and then other tutors/teachers and support staff) I've had extra support that has kept me in uni and even just knowing that people understand what's going on actually helps my mental health! Really hope things work out for you :smile:

Last thing I want is for the school to think I don’t care, it’s tricky to handle mental health! Thank you and all the best!
Reply 4
Original post by colestark
Recently been diagnosed and currently in treatment for major depression, anxiety, panic disorder and OCD. Normally I would never share this with anyone, let alone my school, but now that I’m in my second year of A-Levels and my attendance was incredibly poor last year (and is this year so far), my grades are very low and my mental health is far too much to handle at the moment, I’m not quite sure what to do.

Does anyone have advice? You don’t need to have necessarily dealt with this before, but a few suggestions as to how to go about this would be much appreciated! Having a mare.

Definitely definitely tell the school - I kept my mental health problems from everyone which affected my exam performance heavily, now I am sitting here regretting it, wishing I seeked support earlier. I know it my be very very hard, I really do understand, but if you manage to seek support it might be much more beneficial than you would have thought. Not everything starts and ends with grades, and it isn’t all just about grades, so this may not be your only motive to go seek help but your general well being is also important in a school environment. Speak to your school’s counsellor or anyone in a similar post, informing the right people can make all the difference. Good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by colestark

PM btw if you wish: had quite a lot of experience of this over the past 12 months.
Definitely tell your school! If only because it gives you more options in the way of leniency with prep, sitting your exams in an environment that suits you or even the choice to resist year 12 if you felt your grades weren’t the best you could achieve.
Reply 7
Original post by ramzinoo
Definitely definitely tell the school - I kept my mental health problems from everyone which affected my exam performance heavily, now I am sitting here regretting it, wishing I seeked support earlier. I know it my be very very hard, I really do understand, but if you manage to seek support it might be much more beneficial than you would have thought. Not everything starts and ends with grades, and it isn’t all just about grades, so this may not be your only motive to go seek help but your general well being is also important in a school environment. Speak to your school’s counsellor or anyone in a similar post, informing the right people can make all the difference. Good luck with everything :smile:

I will, thank you! All the best!
Reply 8
Original post by brickfick
Definitely tell your school! If only because it gives you more options in the way of leniency with prep, sitting your exams in an environment that suits you or even the choice to resist year 12 if you felt your grades weren’t the best you could achieve.

Yeah definitely, I will do. Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by DrSocSciences
PM btw if you wish: had quite a lot of experience of this over the past 12 months.

Really appreciate it, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest