The Student Room Group

Bristol A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Username4500
I qualify for the lowered entry requirements. But I’m not sure if they could do it for the GCSEs instead of the A level?

You are expected to retake any essential GCSEs alongside your A levels.

You wont be disadvantaged by Bristol, and its fairly straightforward to arrange - just ask your school
I wanted to apply for medicine at Uni of Bristol but I got grade 6 for GCSE maths although they require a grade 7... Do you think there's any chance I would still get an offer from them if I applied?
Original post by riri_101
I wanted to apply for medicine at Uni of Bristol but I got grade 6 for GCSE maths although they require a grade 7... Do you think there's any chance I would still get an offer from them if I applied?

An offer? You wouldn't even be invited for an interview.

All applicants not meeting the minimum requirements will just get automatically rejected. There are plenty of other candidates that do have a Grade 7 for Maths.

Either retake your Maths GCSE (it doesn't matter as much as A-Level retakes) or apply elsewhere which will consider a Grade 6 in Maths GCSE.

Note: there is already a thread for Bristol A100 discussion.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Polkadot2018
I’d sort of ruled Bristol out as was down to PS and loads of people I know applied with great academics and UCAT score didn’t even get an interview. This year however I hear there’s been a complete turn around and now it’s all down to UCAT for interview. Would be really interested to hear from anybody who thinking of applying to Bristol this year, and also from anyone who has experience of admissions at Bristol. Is there anything different or special they seek from candidates?

I’m hoping to apply to Bristol this year! I love the city and they now rank you on ucat which I like !
(edited 4 years ago)
I got a 680 UCAT score, A*AA predictions for maths, chemistry and biology as well as an A* EPQ. I got 5A*, 3A and 2B for GCSE. I’ve done a week in clinical genetics. A week in ophthalmology and a week in cardiology. As well as 4 years volunteering in geriatrics ward and a youth club.

Should I apply with my UCAT? I feel like it would be a waste since the cut off last year was 690...
Reply 45
Original post by Ectover_
I got a 680 UCAT score, A*AA predictions for maths, chemistry and biology as well as an A* EPQ. I got 5A*, 3A and 2B for GCSE. I’ve done a week in clinical genetics. A week in ophthalmology and a week in cardiology. As well as 4 years volunteering in geriatrics ward and a youth club.

Should I apply with my UCAT? I feel like it would be a waste since the cut off last year was 690...

Well nobody has any information other than that last year's cut off was around 690. There is no reason to think it will change much (does not mean it won't, though!)
Reply 46
If retaking any GCSE's, does it mean we can apply only next year following a gap year? Reason I ask is by the time applications are done this year, the results won't be there so automatic rejection?
Sorry if its a silly question.
Reply 47
Original post by gmmamin
If retaking any GCSE's, does it mean we can apply only next year following a gap year? Reason I ask is by the time applications are done this year, the results won't be there so automatic rejection?
Sorry if its a silly question.

No, you would just put the new predicted grade as pending in the same way you do your A level grades and any offer would be for AAA (typical) plus a 7 in maths GCSE and if you did not meet it, you would have missed the terms of your offer
Reply 48
Original post by GANFYD
No, you would just put the new predicted grade as pending in the same way you do your A level grades and any offer would be for AAA (typical) plus a 7 in maths GCSE and if you did not meet it, you would have missed the terms of your offer

Thank you very much. So my son can retake the particular GCSE if he wants and then use that in the application. That will actually open up a few more uni's.
Reply 49
Original post by gmmamin
Thank you very much. So my son can retake the particular GCSE if he wants and then use that in the application. That will actually open up a few more uni's.

Yes, though most are, check any Med school is ok with GCSE resits (Bristol is, I believe)
Let's say you are retaking a GCSE, even though you've already met the minimum requirement for that subject (ie 4 in English Lang)

You put the retake as a pending Qualification on your UCAS form
You then decide not to sit the exam

Will Bristol / other unis care that you didn't follow through with the resit? Do you think they could make an offer based on the retake (even though you've achieved minimum requirements?)

If you didn't actually sit an exam but signed up for one... will it show up as a fail on your UCAS??
Reply 51
Original post by TSU - Mod
Let's say you are retaking a GCSE, even though you've already met the minimum requirement for that subject (ie 4 in English Lang)

You put the retake as a pending Qualification on your UCAS form
You then decide not to sit the exam

Will Bristol / other unis care that you didn't follow through with the resit? Do you think they could make an offer based on the retake (even though you've achieved minimum requirements?)

If you didn't actually sit an exam but signed up for one... will it show up as a fail on your UCAS??

Good question. Looking for a learned soul to reply please.
If you have already met the minimum GCSE requirement then they wont add a resit as an extra condition to your offer (should you get one).
I read somewhere that the Bristol cut off last year was 690, is that true?
Reply 54
Original post by drsagittarius

The Bristol website says this:

“There is no cut-off score for the UKCAT.

Using data from 2017/18 cycle, applicants with a UKCAT score of 2660 or above would have been issued with an invitation to interview had we been solely using UKCAT for selection. This number is subject to change year-on-year depending on the strength of the cohort, therefore cannot be used with certainty to predict the likelihood of receiving an invite to interview for the current cycle.”
Original post by TSU - Mod
Let's say you are retaking a GCSE, even though you've already met the minimum requirement for that subject (ie 4 in English Lang). You put the retake as a pending Qualification on your UCAS form. You then decide not to sit the exam

Any offer would include that GCSE grade as an extra condition. If you don't meet it, you'll get rejected.
It really is that simple!
Okay folks - lets make this one really clear ::

THERE IS NO AUTOMATIC UCAT CUT-OFF FOR BRISTOL.

They have provide last years score as a guide - repeat, a guide.

That does not mean that you will be rejected if you are just below it that, because the UCAT threshold grade that gets you an interview will change year-by-year. The UCAT ranking can't take place until everyone has applied - think about it - and therefore Bristol cannot tell you exactly what the threshold score for this year will be in advance.

Are we all okay on that one now?
Reply 57
Original post by drsagittarius

Bristol have not released what the lowest UKCAT score to receive an interview last year (2019 entry) was. However there are many examples on last year’s Bristol thread on TSR of people with scores in the high 680s being rejected.

As pointed out, this year’s cut off cannot be established until all applications are in and UCAT score ranked. Then Bristol will take the top X number of applicants and offer them an interview and when they have interviewed the desired number of people, the score of the lowest person on this list will be the cut-off school. People often use previous years’ scores as a guide, given that cut offs are often fairly static, particularly in respect to the ucat decile they fall within, however, there is no way of knowing whether the cut-off this year will be higher, lower or about the same as last year and there is no evidence from previous years on which to judge any sort of trend.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
there is no way of knowing whether the cut-off this year will be higher, lower or about the same as last year and there is no evidence from previous years on which to judge any sort of trend.

This.
If you go on the course page on Bristol's website, it says that for 2019 entry, applicants with a UCAT score of 2730 or above were invited to interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending