The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I've got a dilemma. Is it worth applying to Cambridge with poor GCSE's (776666655 science and maths all 6 English lang 7)?My A levels are A*A*A*(A in Biology, chemistry and maths) and I believe my personal statement is strong. If I smash the BMAT is it worth applying? The dilemma is that I can only apply to either Cambridge or Plymouth because of my low GCSE's. Plymouth is 5 hours from where I live and I really don't want to be that far from home. Do you know anyone who has gotten into Cambridge with low GCSE's? Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Harrybeld
Hi guys I've got a dilemma. Is it worth applying to Cambridge with poor GCSE's (776666655 science and maths all 6 English lang 7)?My A levels are A*A*A*(A in Biology, chemistry and maths) and I believe my personal statement is strong. If I smash the BMAT is it worth applying? The dilemma is that I can only apply to either Cambridge or Plymouth because of my low GCSE's. Plymouth is 5 hours from where I live and I really don't want to be that far from home. Do you know anyone who has gotten into Cambridge with low GCSE's? Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Are those predicted or achieved a levels?
What are my chances of getting an interview from Fitzwilliam if i have only 3 A*s at GCSE, but a good BMAT score (6.0 + in sections 1 and 2) ?
Original post by Sososnake
Are those predicted or achieved a levels?

Predicted
Predicted

Have you changed schools and was your old school contextual? Because although your GCSEs are fine for cambridge, they may wonder how you’ve gone from a B at gcse to an A* at a level
Have you changed schools and was your old school contextual? Because although your GCSEs are fine for cambridge, they may wonder how you’ve gone from a B at gcse to an A* at a level

I have changed school (sort of I've gone to college to do my A levels) and my old school had a bellow average attainment 8 score (-0.45) whehn I sat my GCSE's I'm not sure if that makes me contextualised though.
I have changed school (sort of I've gone to college to do my A levels) and my old school had a bellow average attainment 8 score (-0.45) whehn I sat my GCSE's I'm not sure if that makes me contextualised though.

I’m not really sure, is there a reason why you’re performing much better in these subjects at Alevel compared to gcse?
I’m not really sure, is there a reason why you’re performing much better in these subjects at Alevel compared to gcse?

Unsupported at school, put down by teachers at school and family issues I suppose. Also I have very good teachers at A level and the subjects are much more interesting at the higher level. No particularly bad extenuating circumstances really.
Unsupported at school, put down by teachers at school and family issues I suppose. Also I have very good teachers at A level and the subjects are much more interesting at the higher level. No particularly bad extenuating circumstances really.

Well good luck with your applications! I’m applying to Cambridge too so might see you there
Well good luck with your applications! I’m applying to Cambridge too so might see you there

Thank you! What college are you applying to? Good luck with your application as well and thanks for your help.:smile:
Does anyone know if there's a resource where it says how each college uses the BMAT
Original post by mfaliuk14
Does anyone know if there's a resource where it says how each college uses the BMAT

Its on most of the college websites if you go to their Medicine page.
Reply 72
Original post by mfaliuk14

You can use this tool, but be sure to double check the info against the latest on the medical school websites.
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/
Hi! Anyone applying to Cambridge Med while studying a different course at another university in the UK/overseas?
Original post by puravi
Hi! Anyone applying to Cambridge Med while studying a different course at another university in the UK/overseas?

Hey! I am, I'm doing biomed in Canada :smile:
Original post by shinypixel
GCSE: 98888877AA65 (bad secondary school)
A levels : maths bio psych and chem (A*A*A*A)
Going to apply to cambridge, imperial, exeter and plymouth
BMAT to be done in 3 weeks.
Lots of work experience, volunteering and extra curricular.

I'm not sure if its worth applying to cambridge, mainly because of my weak GCSE's, however there is nowhere else I can see myself applying to. Is it worth a shot? Am I unlikely to get in? Have there even been any successful medicine applicants with my stats?

Thank you

I’m no expert, but I’d say if you can get a strong bmat score then you will be fine
Is anyone applying to kings college at Cambridge for medicine 2020 entry?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Naomi_rcx
Is anyone applying to kings college at Cambridge for medicine 2020 entry?

medicine, have you done your bmat?
Original post by nnaidu22
medicine, have you done your bmat?

No, I'm doing it in October. have you done yours? if so do you have any tips ?
How is BMAT prep going guys?

Latest

Trending

Trending