The Student Room Group

A level options

What are sociology and psychology a level like? What are the exams like? The content and things to remember for the exams
I take both of these subjects at A level (just started year 13) and I love them! Personally psychology is my favourite as it’s more science but both are really good A levels to have!
Reply 2
Original post by alexandria51201
I take both of these subjects at A level (just started year 13) and I love them! Personally psychology is my favourite as it’s more science but both are really good A levels to have!

Can you tell me a bit about them. Like the questions I’ve mentioned above
Original post by xxjessxx20
Can you tell me a bit about them. Like the questions I’ve mentioned above

Psychology:

Studying the mind pretty much. Topics include things like attachment, social influence, biopsychology, approaches, psychopathology, memory, aggression, schizophrenia etc.
Has basic maths in like statistics and graphs and percentages, stuff you learn in GCSE so if you’re not great at maths then don’t let it put you off. Also has basic GCSE biology in it like nervous system, endocrine system, neutrons, and then stuff about the brain in year 2 which is more advanced by again nothing that you can’t handle if you have a good basis in biology. My favourite A level subject by far.
Most amount of marks for a question is 16 which is an essay, Has multiple choice questions, labelling diagrams etc.

Sociology:
Studying society. Topics include families and households, religion, crime and deviance, education, policy etc. No science or maths questions. Most amount of marks is 30, also 20 markers and 10 markers, 4 markers as well (I think). Very interesting subject.
Reply 4
Original post by alexandria51201
Psychology:

Studying the mind pretty much. Topics include things like attachment, social influence, biopsychology, approaches, psychopathology, memory, aggression, schizophrenia etc.
Has basic maths in like statistics and graphs and percentages, stuff you learn in GCSE so if you’re not great at maths then don’t let it put you off. Also has basic GCSE biology in it like nervous system, endocrine system, neutrons, and then stuff about the brain in year 2 which is more advanced by again nothing that you can’t handle if you have a good basis in biology. My favourite A level subject by far.
Most amount of marks for a question is 16 which is an essay, Has multiple choice questions, labelling diagrams etc.

Sociology:
Studying society. Topics include families and households, religion, crime and deviance, education, policy etc. No science or maths questions. Most amount of marks is 30, also 20 markers and 10 markers, 4 markers as well (I think). Very interesting subject.

Thank you so much. This helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest