The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anand3761
WHich med schools apart from Sheffield and Bham have the highest interview to offer ratio?

Quite hard to find as can be through FOIs if unis don’t put on their website like Leicester . I think @TCL speculated Newcastle was pretty high and perhaps Leeds?
Wow. Was thinking of applying to Exeter. However, after researching what the uni is like (in terms of how diverse it is, any racism, and etc), it presented itself as being VERY worrying. When going to a uni, you want it to be diversified, entertaining and social. I did not feel this vibe from Exeter. Now, I don't know if what I have been hearing is biased, but the low diversity definitely put me off.
Am I wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated because it may affect the next 5-6 years of my life ! (and also others who may be applying here)

Therefore, out of ARU, Aston, Keele, which 2 do you guys think are the most diverse, most fun (in terms of sports and etc) , most sociable to apply to? Moreover, I tend to prefer a good working environment- e.g: not much noise when you are revising in the library- out of the ones I mentioned, which ones have more learning space and etc. I will be doing my research as well but I do want to hear some second opinions as well.

I can also apply to Liverpool, Manny, Edge Hill, Lincoln, Plymouth but I do not want to because they are quite far from home. I also don't want to adapt to hearing a new accent (like in manny and liverpool) as it may affect if I am understanding people around me. Should I consider these or not?

Overall, I am thinking of:
- Kings
- Southampton
- And the other 2 I will wait for your opinions.

*Exeter hasn't fully been ruled out of my head, just waiting for second opinions :smile: *

Please let me know!
Original post by DGeorge13
Liverpool should be fine
PARTNERS should be ok - if I were you I would consider it if you really like the course and we’re just worried about cutoffs as you would have been fine all recent years
Score yourself for Birmingham and 8.1 was good enough last year unless on the contextual list when it was over 5.1 - I think you are ok here
Leeds you get maximum academic points so would not need your bmat score to be perfect although would still need relatively good
BSMS - a bit more of an unknown as more heavily rely on bmat than Leeds
HYMS - you would likely get an interview but be a bit behind post interview due to your band 2 and sjt is considered 20% post interview

Thank youuu :smile:
Original post by Harrybeld
Sending my UCAS application off tomorrow :smile: UCAT 667.5 band 2, A*A*A* predictions, GCSE's: 776666655
I'm Applying to Exeter, Imperial college, St. Georges and Cambridge (Cambridge is a risk but who cares you only live once right?)
Thanks for any help here.

Have you checked Cambridge stats completely? I don't want to put you off but if you are doing the BMAT, Oxford may be better to apply to. Have heard Cambridge is not the best for medicine (even though it may be no.1 for a majority of courses)- check the student satisfaction and research quality. I would prefer going for Oxford as it has a much higher student satisfaction rating and research quality. It's all up to you though. But I can see why you chose Cambridge, they don't check GCSEs, so in that case you are good :smile:. Good luck !
Original post by HecticG
Have you checked Cambridge stats completely? I don't want to put you off but if you are doing the BMAT, Oxford may be better to apply to. Have heard Cambridge is not the best for medicine (even though it may be no.1 for a majority of courses)- check the student satisfaction and research quality. I would prefer going for Oxford as it has a much higher student satisfaction rating and research quality. It's all up to you though. Good luck !

They would not be interviewed at Oxford as they don’t have enough a*s and student satisfaction doesn’t mean that much at the end of the day and neither does research particularly for med students and applying in uk for jobs
Original post by HecticG
Wow. Was thinking of applying to Exeter. However, after researching what the uni is like (in terms of how diverse it is, any racism, and etc), it presented itself as being VERY worrying. When going to a uni, you want it to be diversified, entertaining and social. I did not feel this vibe from Exeter. Now, I don't know if what I have been hearing is biased, but the low diversity definitely put me off.
Am I wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated because it may affect the next 5-6 years of my life ! (and also others who may be applying here)

Therefore, out of ARU, Aston, Keele, which 2 do you guys think are the most diverse, most fun (in terms of sports and etc) , most sociable to apply to? Moreover, I tend to prefer a good working environment- e.g: not much noise when you are revising in the library- out of the ones I mentioned, which ones have more learning space and etc. I will be doing my research as well but I do want to hear some second opinions as well.

I can also apply to Liverpool, Manny, Edge Hill, Lincoln, Plymouth but I do not want to because they are quite far from home. I also don't want to adapt to hearing a new accent (like in manny and liverpool) as it may affect if I am understanding people around me. Should I consider these or not?

Overall, I am thinking of:
- Kings
- Southampton
- And the other 2 I will wait for your opinions.

*Exeter hasn't fully been ruled out of my head, just waiting for second opinions :smile: *

Please let me know!

Probably Aston for diversity although I’m not an expert. Working environment isn’t a problem as libraries at uni are generally predominantly silent study and the books can be got in on inter library loan if necessary but most are well stocked - did work experience in Southampton hospital library (used by uni too). Genuinely though I would pick where you are more likely to get in if it were me as I would rather do medicine than be close to home although I understand many may be different to this as many of my friends are. Pick where you are likely to be happy out of the places that you realistically stand a chance at.

I would say Exeter has got a bit of a reputation and I don’t know the extent to which it is true although I would say not to let a couple of stories put you off if you got a good vibe and feel it would suit you as most institutions have them.
Original post by DGeorge13
They would not be interviewed at Oxford as they don’t have enough a*s and student satisfaction doesn’t mean that much at the end of the day and neither does research particularly for med students and applying in uk for jobs

I checked it independently for medicine. It could mean something as you have a rough idea of the 'student satisfaction'. I guess it's how I see things differently to some people in that case.
Reply 4647
I’m a resit student (got BBC first time) predicted: A*AA and got 650 band 1 avg, GCSE 8A*3A and was thinking of applying to Southampton, Sheffield, Anglia Ruskin and Kings or Sunderland.
Will I be considered for an interview at these unis?? Any help would be great!
Original post by hannah.thomas
Hi !
These are my stats:
GSCEs: Four 9s, five 8s and two 7s
A-Level Predicted: A*A*AA
UCAT: 2520 , 630 avg. (VR: 540, AR: 620 DM: 630 SJT: Band 2)
Unis currently thinking of applying to: UCL, UEA, Liverpool/Manchester, Birmingham
Any suggestions? Sorry for posting again, but no one replied!! :'

Hey! I’ve got very similar stats to you and I’m also applying for Liverpool and Manchester - do you know how many GCSEs Manchester look by any chance?
Original post by Flop23876
Hey! I’ve got very similar stats to you and I’m also applying for Liverpool and Manchester - do you know how many GCSEs Manchester look by any chance?

This is what I found on their website. Hope it's useful:
We require at least seven GCSEs at grade A (7) or A* (8+).

English Language, Mathematics and at least two science subjects are required at GCSE minimum grade B. If Dual Award Science or Core and Additional Science are offered, the minimum required is BB.

If you are resitting any GCSE subjects, you must explain the circumstances that prompted this. We do not currently accept short courses; however, Level 2 BTEC qualifications are acceptable (at distinction grade or above) in lieu of one GCSE.

Due to the phased introduction of GCSE reform in England, we will accept a mixture of GCSE grading scales. We can confirm our position in terms of equivalencies:

A* = 8
A = 7
B = 6
C = 4
Original post by HecticG
Have you checked Cambridge stats completely? I don't want to put you off but if you are doing the BMAT, Oxford may be better to apply to. Have heard Cambridge is not the best for medicine (even though it may be no.1 for a majority of courses)- check the student satisfaction and research quality. I would prefer going for Oxford as it has a much higher student satisfaction rating and research quality. It's all up to you though. But I can see why you chose Cambridge, they don't check GCSEs, so in that case you are good :smile:. Good luck !

How is oxford a good choice? Their GCSEs rule it out pretty much completely
Before sending off I just wondered if anyone can say that these choices are good (feeling a bit stressed so any help would be very much appreciated)
GCSEs 9A* 2As
Achieved A Levels: A*A*A bio chemistry maths respectively
UCAT 615 average B3 :frown:
Final 4 I think
Cardiff
Exeter
Plymouth
UEA
Original post by hannah.thomas
This is what I found on their website. Hope it's useful:
We require at least seven GCSEs at grade A (7) or A* (8+).

English Language, Mathematics and at least two science subjects are required at GCSE minimum grade B. If Dual Award Science or Core and Additional Science are offered, the minimum required is BB.

If you are resitting any GCSE subjects, you must explain the circumstances that prompted this. We do not currently accept short courses; however, Level 2 BTEC qualifications are acceptable (at distinction grade or above) in lieu of one GCSE.

Due to the phased introduction of GCSE reform in England, we will accept a mixture of GCSE grading scales. We can confirm our position in terms of equivalencies:

A* = 8
A = 7
B = 6
C = 4

Okay thanks thats great! Seen as you are pretty similar to me I think we are quite strong for Liverpool but that obviously depends on the UCAT cutoff this year
hey does anyone know how edge hill or uea use ukcat scores? i did my ukcat and got 652 today so i wanted to know if this will be good enough for both / either of them?
Hey everyone!

Can someone advise me where to apply!

GCSEs: 10 A*, 2 A

A-Levels (already achieved): A*AAA (Chem, Bio, French and German)

UCAT: 615 average (2460), Band 2 :/

Was thinking of Cardiff, Liverpool, Leicester and Queen's Belfast/Plymouth - what are my chances? Which ones are the best to go for??
Reply 4655
Original post by med202
"A100

Both academic potential and interview ranking will determine whether an offer is made. Academic
potential will be determined on the basis of achieved qualifications which will include level 2 and 3
qualifications such as GCSEs and A-levels and achieved degrees. Achieved qualifications are
known to be good predictors of future achievement. Previous qualifications are awarded UCAS
Tariff points which will be used in the submission of data returns to the Higher Education Statistics
Agency. Based on their prior academic achievement interviewees will be allocated into two groups
(1) and (2) as indicated in table below. Applicants in group one will be given priority in the decision
making process but all applicants receiving offers will be expected to have given competitive
interview performances. Additional factors such as UCAT score may be taken into account in
making borderline decisions. The admissions team will allocate applicants who offer GCSE or Alevel equivalents (e.g. EU or international qualifications) to each of the groups after assessment of
their declared qualifications and thus applicants are reminded of the importance of submitting full
details of all achieved qualifications on the UCAS form. Decisions will be made based only on the
information that was submitted on the UCAS form at the time of application. Allocation to the groups
will be determined by the academic judgement of the admissions’ directors and thus no appeal can
be made against this decision.
Group 1 Interviewees Group 2 Interviewees
GCSE points (17 and 18) GCSE points (15 and 16)
Level 2 GCSE equivalent (94% and above) Level 2 GCSE equivalent (83% - 93%)
Achieved A levels (AAA/ A*AB) or equivalent Predicted A-levels or equivalent
Achieved Degree (minimum of 2:1 honours)

Above is from their supplement for 2020, i called a few days ago to enquire about the fact that I have 18pts for GCSE but I am currently doing my Alevels so where would I sit and they told me it would be Group1 and that a lower interview score can be compensated with a higher GCSE profile when making offers.

And this is why the link to the Departmental Supplement on their website (which says 2019) is dead, when it was certainly live a couple of weeks ago. Why do med schools leave things so late to radically change their admission policies??
So Liverpool is up in the air again as we do not know how many of their applicants are going to have achieved A levels or 17/18 points so how far down the list everyone else will be, regardless of their interview performance
Original post by As.1997
Which unis should I apply to?
My avg is 627.
600 VR
540 DM
700 QR
670 AR
Total 2510
B2 SJT

lecister and notts would be good as long as gcses are alright
I'm really worried about applying to Edinburgh with a band 2 UCAT?
My stats are; GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 1B
AS: B (sociology in GCSE year)
A Level predicted: 3A* (bio, chem, german)
UCAT: 737.5 ave. Band 2 SJT
My four choices are Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle, and unless I stand NO chance, Edinburgh!
I wouldn't be inclined to risk Edinburgh, but I already know I have a guaranteed interview at Sheffield, because of their outreach course, and they also set aside spaces for SOAMS students, so I'm fairly confident with it, and I'm also going to be applying to the PARTNERS scheme at Newcastle. This makes me a bit more willing to have an aspirational uni in there, and just hope for the best??
Hi everyone! I've never lived in the UK so I don't know much about the different schools... I also am completing my bachelor's degree in the U.S. so none of my advisers know anything, either! I know this is a long post, so thank you so much in advance for helping me out, if you are able to!

Preferences:
-City: I have always lived in cities and would like to work in a city. I would prefer more diverse/international cities, if possible (having grown up in Brussels which is quite international!) My preference is London because I could live with my sister and cut costs significantly.
-otherwise I'm pretty open-minded -- like I said, I don't know much about what to look for! I've heard that rankings aren't always the best guides.

Stats:
-EU and US dual citizen
-Belgian high school diploma (92%)
-B.S. Chemistry from Northeastern University in Boston, Sep 2015 - Dec 2019*
Note: I also completed a Business minor and took an extra 2 Bio classes to round out my Bio foundation.
-3.92/4.00 GPA
-UCAT - VR: 720 DM: 850 QR: 780 AR: 870 SJT: Band 1 Total: 3220 Avg: 805
-GAMSAT: took on Sep 11, still awaiting results but would rather rely on my UCAT score
-Volunteer experience: co-founded local community health nonprofit, 6 months volunteering at care homes 2h/week
-Work experience (paid): 6 months full time as analytical chemist at a pharmaceutical company, 6 months full time as grant writer & development lead at health/environmental nonprofit, 2 months full time as clinical research assistant at a hospital
-Research experience: cumulative 22 months working ~5-15 hours/week in 3 different on-campus chemistry faculty labs

*My timeline may seem strange to people in the U.K., but due to my school's internship program (see work experience), students take anywhere between 4 and 5 years complete their degrees, thus 4.5 years is pretty normal.

I would sincerely appreciate any tips on how I should go about selecting/what aspects of the courses I should look at/which rankings, if any, I should pay attention to, etc. Thank you thank you!
Any advice for UCAT 2640 SJT Band 3
GCSE - 6 A* 4As
Strong PS and work exp

Safe

Latest

Trending

Trending