The Student Room Group

Newcastle A101 2020 Entry

Welcome to the Newcastle University A101 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#entryrequirements

For entry requirements click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a101/#entryrequirements

Newcastle A100/A101 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6331642

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm glad there's a discussion board for this! I know we will have time before the applications for the 2020 cycle are released in September so I'm still trying to narrow down the list of medical schools I can apply to as an international student. Is there a website that compares these schools based on UCAT/GAMSAT/BMAT requirements, location, GEM spots, cost, teaching and clinical placements?
Reply 2
Original post by alysidferns
I'm glad there's a discussion board for this! I know we will have time before the applications for the 2020 cycle are released in September so I'm still trying to narrow down the list of medical schools I can apply to as an international student. Is there a website that compares these schools based on UCAT/GAMSAT/BMAT requirements, location, GEM spots, cost, teaching and clinical placements?

Please don't post the same thing in different threads on TSR.

There is a PDF file published by the Medical Schools Council which compares the entry requirements: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

For the rest, you'll have to research yourself, but they vary year-on-year so they will change between now and by the time you finish.

Post originally created by ecolier.
I'm applying to medical schools in the UK as an international student so I'm not too familiar with the process, its way different compared to the US. I'll be sure to check out the link, thanks.
I got a disappointing UCAT score of 2580 (570, 580, 630, 800) and Band 1. I don't have any hope for newcastle right? :/
Current Newcastle GEM, 1st Year, any questions don’t hesitate to @ me
Original post by Antibiotics

Hi! Currently considering applying to Newcastle GEM... How satisfied are you with the course? What's living in Newcastle like? What was the interview like/how did you prepare? Thank you and sorry for all the questions!! Stats: 805/Band 1 UCAT, 3.92/4.00 GPA, B.S. Chemistry from Northeastern University in Boston
Original post by theadventurezone
Hi! Currently considering applying to Newcastle GEM... How satisfied are you with the course? What's living in Newcastle like? What was the interview like/how did you prepare? Thank you and sorry for all the questions!! Stats: 805/Band 1 UCAT, 3.92/4.00 GPA, B.S. Chemistry from Northeastern University in Boston

You’ll sail in with that UCAT. Have a Canadian friend on the course and believe they have a similar grading system, so as long as they accept your degree and GPA then happy days.

Living in Newcastle - both expensive and cheap simultaneously. Rent is comparatively expensive for the north in a place called jesmond but it’s a vibrant, fun place to live. Locals are incredibly friendly. 3 trebles for £5 that frankly taste like Powerade.

Satisfaction - 90%. Nothing could’ve prepared me for how intense it is. My background is in tropical diseases, with two years of biomed. So say the undergrads do a case in two weeks which is already quite hard pressed, we do them in one week. I think Newcastle GEM is definitley one of the more intense courses for the first year (Swansea Warwick etc its evenly spread over four years and Southampton Nottingham etc are three years into a year and a half. Ours is two into one and then we’re straight into third year clinical placement)

Despite the stress, the course director always starts off his lectures with checking in how we’re all doing, that we understand and that we’re basically not overwhelmed. They are so so receptive to feedback to the extent that it’s compulsory to feedback on every learning set. The clinical skills suite is excellent, I haven’t seen one like the one we use at any university so I’m very satisfied with that. We had some excellent anatomy teaching too. So basically my satisfaction is very high because the negatives of the intensity is offset by how fantastic the university are. Lecturers always take emails and if you have a query will upload explanation videos for everyone. Also, because it’s accelerated we don’t have lectures for the equivalent undergrad learning outcomes and they upload this to Newcastle’s tailor made learning environment.

I am very overwhelmingly positive about Newcastle, I promise it’s not because I get anything out of it, it’s just that between my own experience and my friends experience I really genuinely believe Newcastle is up there at the top. I guess it suits me and the things I believe in (ie not demanding science qualifications because they use evidence to show that having biology a level is not a necessity to do a Medicine course).

Long winded but I hope that helps!
(edited 4 years ago)
You’ll sail in with that UCAT. Have a Canadian friend on the course and believe they have a similar grading system, so as long as they accept your degree and GPA then happy days.

Living in Newcastle - both expensive and cheap simultaneously. Rent is comparatively expensive for the north in a place called jesmond but it’s a vibrant, fun place to live. Locals are incredibly friendly. 3 trebles for £5 that frankly taste like Powerade.

Satisfaction - 90%. Nothing could’ve prepared me for how intense it is. My background is in tropical diseases, with two years of biomed. So say the undergrads do a case in two weeks which is already quite hard pressed, we do them in one week. I think Newcastle GEM is definitley one of the more intense courses for the first year (Swansea Warwick etc its evenly spread over four years and Southampton Nottingham etc are three years into a year and a half. Ours is two into one and then we’re straight into third year clinical placement)

Despite the stress, the course director always starts off his lectures with checking in how we’re all doing, that we understand and that we’re basically not overwhelmed. They are so so receptive to feedback to the extent that it’s compulsory to feedback on every learning set. The clinical skills suite is excellent, I haven’t seen one like the one we use at any university so I’m very satisfied with that. We had some excellent anatomy teaching too. So basically my satisfaction is very high because the negatives of the intensity is offset by how fantastic the university are. Lecturers always take emails and if you have a query will upload explanation videos for everyone. Also, because it’s accelerated we don’t have lectures for the equivalent undergrad learning outcomes and they upload this to Newcastle’s tailor made learning environment.

I am very overwhelmingly positive about Newcastle, I promise it’s not because I get anything out of it, it’s just that between my own experience and my friends experience I really genuinely believe Newcastle is up there at the top. I guess it suits me and the things I believe in (ie not demanding science qualifications because they use evidence to show that having biology a level is not a necessity to do a Medicine course).

Long winded but I hope that helps!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this out! You made me so exciting about applying, it sounds like a high quality program. It's also encouraging that they're not strict about science qualifications, even though I'm a Chem major; like you, I believe in being well-rounded. Thanks again and best of luck with the rest of your course.
Reply 9
Final scores are out now. I think I sit right on the border for the GEM application :frown:. I got 2900, 95th percentile according to UCAT's website. Should I still apply for the course? Last years cut off was 2920, the year before 2940 but I'm not sure what percentile they were. Does anybody know?
I'm in the same boat! I got 2930, but I'm not hopeful :frown:
Reply 11
That's a good score! I would have been happy with 2800 or 3000 as then I would know i have a chance or not. 2900 is on the border :/.

2930 is okay though maybe? The mean this year is 2 points lowers than the last so the cutoff may hang around the 2920. Tough decisions!

I really want to have this as an option :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi, I read that Newcastle are interested in sustained academic endeavor in the past 3 years. Do you know how they assess this? Thanks!
Original post by cupboard3
Hi, I read that Newcastle are interested in sustained academic endeavor in the past 3 years. Do you know how they assess this? Thanks!

I can’t see them asking for this anymore on their site - maybe check. It’s in the 2019 policy but can’t find it in 2020 one and tbh I’m sure there’s people on my course that didn’t fulfill that. Anyway, it’s just that you have to have sat an invigilated exam within the last three years.
Reply 14
Hello thread that is being bumped from the bottom of page 2,

Just to let you all know that the spreadsheet for this year's Newcastle applicants is ready and raring to go. As far as I'm aware:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1raOdIae0T-QGzOIjGocTqyJpevYz-CSj4SKFn8Dj2kw/edit#gid=855535143

I do hope that the previous year may have helped you out, although Newcastle seems to be fairly transparent with their cut off points as is.
Feel free to add in your details, if you want, to the spreadsheet once you get your interview dates. Hopefully this can help fellow applicants and yourselves to figure out various data points that may not be released for a while.
If you feel like anything is missing, feel free to add it or ask me to add it.
Ctrl + z for any mistakes. It's okay that they happen.

Good luck all o/
I rang Newcastle and asked when they will start sending out interview invites. They said they will start sending them from next week.
Original post by cupboard3
I rang Newcastle and asked when they will start sending out interview invites. They said they will start sending them from next week.

That's great thank you! I heard someone had a rejection through track as their UCAT was too low (2550 I think), hopefully we will all hear soon
Original post by thebiomedblonde
That's great thank you! I heard someone had a rejection through track as their UCAT was too low (2550 I think), hopefully we will all hear soon

I think I am on track for a rejection, my ucat is 2860 and that would not have gotten me a space in any of the last few years.
Alright lads, just spoke to Newcastle and they said they're sending out invites from next week up until two weeks before Jan 26th (the last interview date). She also said they have started sending out rejections due to UCAT. I was a bit dense and didn't think to ask if they had agreed the cut off/ if they'd tell me what it was but hey ho x
Original post by thebiomedblonde
Alright lads, just spoke to Newcastle and they said they're sending out invites from next week up until two weeks before Jan 26th (the last interview date). She also said they have started sending out rejections due to UCAT. I was a bit dense and didn't think to ask if they had agreed the cut off/ if they'd tell me what it was but hey ho x

They have just told me they are unable to reveal the cut off until after the application process has been completed..

Latest

Trending

Trending