The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
As far as I am aware they only use interview score to decide regarding offers

They said on their website that “people with higher GCSEs are more likely to receive an offer” or something like that.
Reply 21
Original post by Muez
They said on their website that “people with higher GCSEs are more likely to receive an offer” or something like that.

They state:
"Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process."
I would read that as they use GCSEs in a tiebreak situation, ie lots of people with the same score and they may look at GCSE results. However, contact them and ask

EDIT: Hmm, they have now added a 2020 information sheet that says:
"The selection procedure at Liverpool is a competitive process. The indicative criteria are the minimum required. Invitation

to interview is highly competitive and dependant on minimum academic achievement and UCAT performance. Nonacademic attributes will be assessed at interview and offers made on the basis of both academic achievement and interview performance. No candidate will be made an offer without interview. Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process. The threshold for progressing through each stage varies from year to year depending upon the quality and quantity of applications that year."

Which does indeed suggest they are somehow using academics post interview in decision making. I would definitely contact them and ask, especially as they may, at this point, score A*s differently to As and it is important people know.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
They state:
"Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process."
I would read that as they use GCSEs in a tiebreak situation, ie lots of people with the same score and they may look at GCSE results. However, contact them and ask

"The selection procedure at Liverpool is a competitive process. The indicative criteria are the minimum required. Invitation

to interview is highly competitive and dependant on minimum academic achievement and UCAT performance. Nonacademic attributes will be assessed at interview and offers made on the basis of both academic achievement and interview performance. No candidate will be made an offer without interview. Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process. The threshold for progressing through each stage varies from year to year depending upon the quality and quantity of applications that year."

Which does indeed suggest they are somehow using academics post interview in decision making. I would definitely contact them and ask, especially as they may, at this point, score A*s differently to As and it is important people know.

Yup. I’ve never had much luck with emails so I’ll give them a ring tomorrow morning.
Original post by GANFYD
They state:

Yeah I emailed them the other day and they said that they use academics and interview score to make an offer and also give priority to those with high academics
Reply 24
Original post by Meduser
Yeah I emailed them the other day and they said that they use academics and interview score to make an offer and also give priority to those with high academics

But how? GCSEs alone? Is it 50% academics, 50% interview? Or 90-10? Can you get back to them and ask how they are proportioning points for each, please? And report back on the thread? Everyone is relying on you (no pressure) :laugh:
Original post by GANFYD
But how? GCSEs alone? Is it 50% academics, 50% interview? Or 90-10? Can you get back to them and ask how they are proportioning points for each, please? And report back on the thread? Everyone is relying on you (no pressure) :laugh:

Oh goodness I’ll try my best haha. They just told me what I said and then linked their admissions process document so I’m not sure how much more info they’ll give up
Reply 26
2020 Departmental SUpplement now on the website which gives full details and suggests that those with 18 or 19 points for GCSEs or achieved A levels will be chosen for an offer over those with lower results, provided their interview performance is "satisfactory"
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/admissions/Liverpool,Departmental,Supplement,Entry,2020.pdf
Original post by GANFYD

OK, just got a reply and I asked all the questions you did, and even some of my own. They (very helpfully🙄) said that they were unable to offer any further information other than what is on the departmental supplement.
How ucat heavy is Liverpool?
Reply 29
Original post by wxgmak
How ucat heavy is Liverpool?

Have you read the thread and their website?
Reply 30
Original post by Meduser
OK, just got a reply and I asked all the questions you did, and even some of my own. They (very helpfully🙄) said that they were unable to offer any further information other than what is on the departmental supplement.

Aren't Admissions Departments so helpful??!! :dry:
They have now put this year's Departmental Supplement on, though, which details how they are using academics post interview
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/admissions/Liverpool,Departmental,Supplement,Entry,2020.pdf
Original post by GANFYD
Aren't Admissions Departments so helpful??!! :dry:
They have now put this year's Departmental Supplement on, though, which details how they are using academics post interview

Very!

Okay thank you I will check it out :smile:
I've read some contradicting things. Are they fully PBL?
Original post by thedecorator33
I've read some contradicting things. Are they fully PBL?

No - they used to be but got bad reviews so changed to integrated. Have a read if of interest:
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/tqsd/programmespecs/Medicine,and,Surgery,MBChB.pdf
Does anyone know how Liverpool use GCSE's? Do they use post interview too?
I have lower GCSEs but a high ucat is there any point applying ?? I’ve tried to contact them but had no luck
GCSEs = 988887666B
UCAT = 2780 so 695 average and band 1
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by pyracantha
Does anyone know how Liverpool use GCSE's? Do they use post interview too?

Have you read the rest of the thread? And checked the website?
Original post by Mjsmalley0902
I have lower GCSEs but a high ucat is there any point applying ?? I’ve tried to contact them but had no luck
GCSEs = 988887666B
UCAT = 2780 so 695 average and band 1

You have 15/18 points for the gcse which is the minimum required. However post-interview, you will be placed into tier 2 based on your gcses, meaning there will be a lower chance of you gaining a place over someone in tier 1 who scored the same in the interview. I don't think Liverpool rely too much on the ucat, so Liverpool may be one to avoid.
Original post by mattyclarke04
You have 15/18 points for the gcse which is the minimum required. However post-interview, you will be placed into tier 2 based on your gcses, meaning there will be a lower chance of you gaining a place over someone in tier 1 who scored the same in the interview. I don't think Liverpool rely too much on the ucat, so Liverpool may be one to avoid.

hey where can i find more info on the tier system thing after interview? I didn't see any info on this on liverpool's website? could you maybe link me if possible?
Original post by pseudo123
hey where can i find more info on the tier system thing after interview? I didn't see any info on this on liverpool's website? could you maybe link me if possible?

Page 8

Latest

Trending

Trending