Can someone review and give me some feedback on my answer? GCSE Geography

Watch
Will Bennett
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Describe how river processes of transportation and deposition change downstream.[9 marks]

Transportation is when the river erodes material which becomes the rivers load and it transports this load through the course of the river until it deposits the load. There are 4 different ways the river will transport the load – traction, saltation, suspension and solution.

Traction is where large particles (for example boulders) are rolled along the bed of the river, this also erodes the bed and particles in doing so. This often occurs in the upper stage of the river (near the source) because it has the most energy to carry the larger particles.

Saltation is where smaller particles, such as pebbles and gravel bounce along the bed of the river. This is because the river has enough energy to lift the particles off the bed, but they are to heavy to travel via suspension, this most commonly occurs near the source of the river.

Suspension is where fine particles, such as silt and clay are carried within the water. This process occurs in the lower stage, near the source of the river.

Solution is a special type of transportation where the particles are dissolved into the water (only soluble rocks e.g. limestone can be transported in this way). This occurs throughout the course of the river.

On the other hand, deposition is where the river loses energy and drops the load it has been carrying. This occurs at the end of the river's journey, at the river's mouth, in shallow water or when the volume of the water decreases. In the upper course large bedload is deposited, in the middle course deposition mainly occurs on slip off slopes and in the lower course mostly small particles are deposited and levees and slip off slopes are formed.
Sailor girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Will Bennett)
Describe how river processes of transportation and deposition change downstream.[9 marks]

Transportation is when the river erodes material which becomes the rivers load and it transports this load through the course of the river until it deposits the load. There are 4 different ways the river will transport the load – traction, saltation, suspension and solution.

Traction is where large particles (for example boulders) are rolled along the bed of the river, this also erodes the bed and particles in doing so. This often occurs in the upper stage of the river (near the source) because it has the most energy to carry the larger particles.

Saltation is where smaller particles, such as pebbles and gravel bounce along the bed of the river. This is because the river has enough energy to lift the particles off the bed, but they are to heavy to travel via suspension, this most commonly occurs near the source of the river.

Suspension is where fine particles, such as silt and clay are carried within the water. This process occurs in the lower stage, near the source of the river.

Solution is a special type of transportation where the particles are dissolved into the water (only soluble rocks e.g. limestone can be transported in this way). This occurs throughout the course of the river.

On the other hand, deposition is where the river loses energy and drops the load it has been carrying. This occurs at the end of the river's journey, at the river's mouth, in shallow water or when the volume of the water decreases. In the upper course large bedload is deposited, in the middle course deposition mainly occurs on slip off slopes and in the lower course mostly small particles are deposited and levees and slip off slopes are formed.
I got an A at gcse, and am doing as geography, and I think that is a really good answer. But for suspension you have put that it happens in the lower stages of a river (which is right) but it is near the mouth of the river not the source.
And where you have written about deposition add in how larger materials are deposited higher up the river (in a higher energy environment) etc. And also add in how rivers deposit materials on the outside bend of a meander because the river looses energy
Will Bennett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sailor girl)
I got an A at gcse, and am doing as geography, and I think that is a really good answer. But for suspension you have put that it happens in the lower stages of a river (which is right) but it is near the mouth of the river not the source.
And where you have written about deposition add in how larger materials are deposited higher up the river (in a higher energy environment) etc. And also add in how rivers deposit materials on the outside bend of a meander because the river looses energy
Thank you for the feedback, only just realised that mistake with the suspension part.
Sailor girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You are welcome. What exam board are you doing?
Will Bennett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sailor girl)
You are welcome. What exam board are you doing?
AQA
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry I didn’t read through it but I got a 9 in geo and my ultimate trump card for 9 mark questions were: give 3 points and develop each of them and on your final paragraph give opinion and choose a trump card point that you didn’t use for your main points- minimal is 7 marks but if answered well then 9/9
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads