The Student Room Group

HYMS A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muez
Oh really? I called them and they said the highest number (9) is an A* and 8 is an A. I’ll call them up again and confirm. But thanks

definitely 8 is A*
Any idea of how useful Band 1 is post interview( how many points it makes up). Also any idea on admissions stats? Cheers
Top 8 GCSE’s = 3A*’s & 5A’s
UCAT = 655 (8th decile)
SJT = Band 1
& I qualify for contextual points

Would I be right in saying I would score 84.25/100??
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anand3761
Any idea of how useful Band 1 is post interview( how many points it makes up). Also any idea on admissions stats? Cheers

Band one is 20 points I believe and your interview consists of 5 sections which are each worth 20 points (so total 120 points).
Band 1 is useful since almost all applicants interviewed who had band 1 got an offer in 2018.
See this :

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_sjt_band_statistic?unfold=1#incoming-1428818

Band 2 is good too but I wouldn’t recommend applying with a band 3.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ambercairney
Top 8 GCSE’s = 3A*’s
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ambercairney
Top 8 GCSE’s = 3A*’s & 5A’s
UCAT = 655 (estimating/hoping for 7th decile)
SJT = Band 1
& I qualify for contextual points

Would I be right in saying I would score 84.25/100??

According to the alleged point system of A*=3.75 etc. yes but I’m not sure how accurate this is since HYMS haven’t confirmed it
Original post by Muez
Band one is 20 points I believe and your interview consists of 5 sections which are each worth 20 points (so total 120 points).
Band 1 is useful since almost all applicants interviewed who had band 1 got an offer in 2018.
See this :

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_sjt_band_statistic?unfold=1#incoming-1428818

Band 2 is good too but I wouldn’t recommend applying with a band 3.

I assumed band 1 would be worth slightly more points if 90% with it got offers. The website says 100 points for 5 sections plus Band score
Original post by Anand3761
I assumed band 1 would be worth slightly more points if 90% with it got offers. The website says 100 points for 5 sections plus Band score

“Your scores from the five separate components of the interview process are collated in addition to points allocated depending on the UCAT SJT Band achieved, up to a maximum of 20 points.

That’s what the website says and the interview scores are definitely a total of 100 on their own since there’s 5 sections worth 20 points each.

Then it says interview scores are combined with SJT score which is out of a maximum of 20 points. That’s what I understand from the information above but do tell me if I’m wrong.
Original post by Muez
“Your scores from the five separate components of the interview process are collated in addition to points allocated depending on the UCAT SJT Band achieved, up to a maximum of 20 points.

That’s what the website says and the interview scores are definitely a total of 100 on their own since there’s 5 sections worth 20 points each.

Then it says interview scores are combined with SJT score which is out of a maximum of 20 points. That’s what I understand from the information above but do tell me if I’m wrong.

I think tht means the 5 stations are 20 alongside points from sJT but I’m not completely sure
Hi, based on these stats what would be your score estimation? GCSES: 4A* 4A UCAT- 600 (low) SJT: BAND 1 QUALIFY/ FOR CONTEXTUAL POINTS thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey guys! I will be applying.
Stats;
UCAT - 700 average
A levels- A*AA
Degree- 2.1 biomedical science
Contextual data - went to a low performing school
Experience- working as a carer in a dementia care home full time now, plenty of shadowing

Good luck to us all!
Original post by MZT_56
I will be applying to HYMS for the 2020 entry. Who else is applying?

Me too. What are your stats?
Original post by medicine02
Hi, based on these stats what would be your score estimation? GCSES: 4A* 4A UCAT- 600 (low) SJT: BAND 1 QUALIFY/ FOR CONTEXTUAL POINTS thank you

According to the point system suggested in previous threads you’d have 69 points.

GCSE- 27 (A* = 3.75 and A= 3)
UCAT- 12 (600 was 3rd decile last year) + 15 for band 1
Contextual points- 15

Remember HYMS said they don’t release their scoring system so I’m not sure how accurate this is.
Reply 33
Hi,

Anyone know what the accommodation situation is like at the Hull campus?

Do all medical students tends to be in the same halls, or spread out about campus?
I meet all requirement with a score of 58.75 out of the required 54.5 however I do not do biology instead I do chemistry physics and maths. Is there any chance of overlooking this?
Original post by Cgallagher2
I meet all requirement with a score of 58.75 out of the required 54.5 however I do not do biology instead I do chemistry physics and maths.

So you don't meet all the requirements.

Is there any chance of overlooking this?

No, the minimum entry requirements are just that, the minimum. There will be plenty of other candidates who score higher than required who do Biology.

Apply elsewhere.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Muez
According to the point system suggested in previous threads you’d have 69 points.

GCSE- 27 (A* = 3.75 and A= 3)
UCAT- 12 (600 was 3rd decile last year) + 15 for band 1
Contextual points- 15

Remember HYMS said they don’t release their scoring system so I’m not sure how accurate this is.

Thank you very much!
do you think i should risk applying to HYMS or is my score too low?
Original post by medicine02
Thank you very much!
do you think i should risk applying to HYMS or is my score too low?

I mean you have 69 points which is pretty good. I think last years cut off for points was 54.5.
So I asked about the point system and selection for interview and they pointed me toward this video which was quite handy:https://youtu.be/A10cbZAgtHQ
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it’s worth me applying to HYMS. I have a 1st class in diagnostic Radiography, alevel BBB, GCSE 5A* 4A +A* short course, ucat 2560 and band 1. No contextual points. Would this be enough to get an interview? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending