The Student Room Group

Dundee A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hello there!

I thought I would add my two cent to this. I am a current final year medic at Dundee. My understanding is that a score of 2630 should hopefully be enough to get an interview at Dundee. My understanding Dundee will employ a decile system for academics and UCAT score, with a weighting of 60% academics to 40% UCAT, which is then used to invite candidates for interview. From personal experience the lowest score I am aware of in my year is around the 650 mark, however, this was 6 years ago, and there may indeed be scores lower than this that I am not aware of. I believe that Dundee could be applied to with a UCAT of this score, as Dundee does not use the UCAT after interview, which I believe the other Scottish universities do, or are at least heavier in their selection with the UCAT

thank you so much!! Just to be clear, will they use 10 bands for grades and 10 for ucat results?
Original post by bulbasaur55
thank you! if i manage to get care home experience do dundee require me to write about it on my personal statement? i’m afraid i might not get it before the application deadline

There is no requirement for the personal statement, though I would advise strongly to put things in that show your commitment to study medicine and I feel your voluntary work at a care home would highlight that.
Original post by Mom2
thank you so much!! Just to be clear, will they use 10 bands for grades and 10 for ucat results?

No problem at all!

This information isn't really clear and I do not know based on my experience. However, I am getting this information from the description provided at the medic portal. Link below. Considering this is done with the UCAT scores, it is conceivable this will be the same for the grades. Regardless, I don't think that will really change the playing field and I feel the take home message is the same; good grades can compensate for a lower UCAT and visa versa

https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/apply-good-ukcat-score-2018-entry-part-two/
Reply 23
Original post by .S.K.T.
No problem at all!

This information isn't really clear and I do not know based on my experience. However, I am getting this information from the description provided at the medic portal. Link below. Considering this is done with the UCAT scores, it is conceivable this will be the same for the grades. Regardless, I don't think that will really change the playing field and I feel the take home message is the same; good grades can compensate for a lower UCAT and visa versa

https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/apply-good-ukcat-score-2018-entry-part-two/

thanks, agreed that on average and from the point of the uni, they will do well whether they use deciles or quintiles, but for a particular applicant with max grades it will make a difference. btw the medicportal is not always up to date on UCAT, wish all unis published mean, min-max and standard deviation of interviewees.
Reply 24
Original post by anon56781
Hi I achieved a ukcat score of 2740 but recieved a Band 3. Is it possible to still be considered by dundee uni. I recieved my 5As at higher so it is the band 3 that worries me.

Dundee does not consider the SJT!
Original post by Mom2
Hi I am trying to find out whether to apply to Dundee. Would it be possible to qualify with a UCAT of 2630 to be invited to interview? Grades are perfect. Will grades be weighted 60% and UCAT 40% and how many percentile bands might there be for each (or do they use the actual grades/UCAT results rather than rearranging the data into bands)? The only info I could find so far is that in 2016 the average UCAT of applicants invited to interview was 2740 and that about 40 percent of applicants are invited to interview. I hope they don't use bands... Don't know why unis make these transformations which make them lose info...

Hi @Mom2

The UCAT does account for 40% (60% for graduate entry) of your pre-interview score.The other 60% is based on your qualifications. We do not have a cut off for the UCAT, and consider everybody who applies to us. We do advise applicants to aim high, as generally speaking we make offers to those who have above average UCAT scores. For example, our analysis of the 2016 applicant cohort revealed that the average UCAT score of applicants invited for interview was 2740.

These averages do change from year to year, however, and we cannot predict what kind of scores we will see on the applications we receive. At present we do not use the Situational Judgement Test to select for interview; however, Band 4 may affect the decision on whether or not to make an offer.

Each application received is assessed and allocated an academic score based on your qualifications and UCAT score. Those applicants with the highest combined score will be invited for interview. We interview approximately 500 applicants, with a number of places allocated for those who have mitigating circumstances.

If you have any further questions you can contact our admissions team on [email protected] or 01382 383838.

Thanks
Kathryn :smile:
Original post by celine ng
I am international, from Singapore. May I know what is the minimum ukcat score for year of entry 2019 for international student? Thank U.

Hi @celine ng

We do not have a cut off score for the UCAT and consider everyone who applies. However the higher your UCAT score the stronger your application will be.

If you would like more specific information about our interview selection process you can send an email to [email protected] and one of our Enquiry Team will be able to supply you with more information.

Thanks!
Kathryn :smile:
Hello there!

I was just wondering if someone could suggest/advise me if I should consider Dundee or not - Do I have a chance for the interview?
My results are as following:
UCAT: 2540
VR 520
DM 650
QR 700
AR 670
B2

BSc Biomedical science, going into 3rd year, predicted with 1:1 (+ distinction); straight As throughout 2 years, lowest was A-

Thank you all in advance!
Reply 28
Original post by jplascev
Hello there!

I was just wondering if someone could suggest/advise me if I should consider Dundee or not - Do I have a chance for the interview?
My results are as following:
UCAT: 2540
VR 520
DM 650
QR 700
AR 670
B2

BSc Biomedical science, going into 3rd year, predicted with 1:1 (+ distinction); straight As throughout 2 years, lowest was A-

Thank you all in advance!

Not sure if it is the same for graduates, but your UCAT would be a bit low for a school leaver RUK applicant
Got a low score of 2540 in UCAT, achieved 5 As at higher however this does not include chemistry. Is it still worth me applying to Dundee for medicine.
Reply 30
Original post by Archjam21
Got a low score of 2540 in UCAT, achieved 5 As at higher however this does not include chemistry. Is it still worth me applying to Dundee for medicine.

Chemistry is a required subject for Dundee and without it, you would be rejected without further consideration
i know dundee requires 2 weeks of care experience, but do they require it on my personal statement ? Because i know i can get 2 weeks of experience but it’ll have to be after the ucas deadline, so is it ok if i don’t write it on my personal statement but i’ll have it by the interview?
Reply 32
Original post by bulbasaur55
i know dundee requires 2 weeks of care experience, but do they require it on my personal statement ? Because i know i can get 2 weeks of experience but it’ll have to be after the ucas deadline, so is it ok if i don’t write it on my personal statement but i’ll have it by the interview?

Well they may well review you PS to check you have got it, as otherwise how will they know?
Hi, could anyone advise if Dundee add 10% to widening access applicants scores? I’m sure a question was asked about this at the open day but I can’t find it. Thanks in advance. X
Anyone know how Dundee scores UCAT for graduates?
Wondering if it's worth applying with 3A* 4A 4B GCSEs, AS: ABBB, UCAT: 3000 / sjt band 1
Thanks
Original post by SpookySkelet0n
Wondering if it's worth applying with 3A* 4A 4B GCSEs, AS: ABBB, UCAT: 3000 / sjt band 1
Thanks

Bearing in mind for school leavers 60% of application is based on previous academic attainment

Original post by k8clar
Anyone know how Dundee scores UCAT for graduates?

For graduates wise 60% is based on UCAT score but remaining 40% is compensated by statement, reference and your predicted 1/2:1
Original post by mcschang
Bearing in mind for school leavers 60% of application is based on previous academic attainment

For graduates wise 60% is based on UCAT score but remaining 40% is compensated by statement, reference and your predicted 1/2:1

On their website it states for graduates that previous academics are taken in account. Are you aware of how much they're taken into account (hoping my degree which I already have bears a lot more weight)? And I'm in the 78th percentile for this year with regards to UCAT and was unsure whether Dundee or Glasgow would be a safer option?
Original post by amazon_prince
On their website it states for graduates that previous academics are taken in account. Are you aware of how much they're taken into account (hoping my degree which I already have bears a lot more weight)? And I'm in the 78th percentile for this year with regards to UCAT and was unsure whether Dundee or Glasgow would be a safer option?

I've emailed them a while ago and they said if you've done a degree with sufficient biology and chemistry then no further requirements are needed. Their website is somewhat superficial on that when they mean "previous academic attainments will also be taken into account".
Likewise I'm on 74% UCAT I think Dundee will be a safer option
Does anyone know how many additional references can we send for Dundee?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending