The Student Room Group

St Andrews A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TCL
The FOI on scores is out. Internationals be careful - the Scottish Funding Council document implies no international spaces at St Andrew's this year.

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.45.10.png

Why the big jump?
Reply 41
Original post by Momoalas93
Why the big jump?

The first column must have been the year with only 3 sections scored - it was when they introduced the DM paper and the score for the new paper was not used as part of the official score.
Hey guys, I got 645 avg and band 2 for SJ. I am thinking of applying to St.Andrews. Do you think its good enough?
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous65
Hey guys, I got 645 avg and band 2 for SJ. I am thinking of applying to St.Andrews. Do you think its good enough?

Last year's cut offs are earlier on the thread
Original post by GANFYD

Oh ok I wasn't aware thank you
Original post by GANFYD

I am confsued I got 665 average and I class as a uk resident(in england). So which one of EU england or RUK england do I class as on the table that you have shared?
Reply 46
Original post by Schoolboy101
I am confsued I got 665 average and I class as a uk resident(in england). So which one of EU england or RUK england do I class as on the table that you have shared?

Hopefully, you've realised that St Andrews is only a 3-year course - you then complete the rest at a different uni. This can be either in Scotland or England see https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100/course-pathways/
So if you are currently in England, you are a RUK student, and you will be choosing either the Scottish route (ie to complete your training at a Scottish uni) or the England route (to complete it in Manchester ot Barts) or no preference.
Original post by 2500_2
Hopefully, you've realised that St Andrews is only a 3-year course - you then complete the rest at a different uni. This can be either in Scotland or England see https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100/course-pathways/
So if you are currently in England, you are a RUK student, and you will be choosing either the Scottish route (ie to complete your training at a Scottish uni) or the England route (to complete it in Manchester ot Barts) or no preference.

I see my bad, thank you.
Does anyone how much of emphasis that st Andrews put on academics and other parts of your application outisde of ucat scores.
On their website they say ' To be considered for interview, applicants must have: a strong academic record, a positive reference, relevant, medically related work experience.' How strict are they with this? As I have 3A* prediction + A epq achieved, 8A* 2A 1B GCSE I also would say my ps fulfills all the points they mention here https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100/entry-requirements/ as well as a ucat of 2660 (im a RUK applicant). How are my odds of an interview?
Reply 49
Original post by Schoolboy101
Does anyone how much of emphasis that st Andrews put on academics and other parts of your application outisde of ucat scores.
On their website they say ' To be considered for interview, applicants must have: a strong academic record, a positive reference, relevant, medically related work experience.' How strict are they with this? As I have 3A* prediction + A epq achieved, 8A* 2A 1B GCSE I also would say my ps fulfills all the points they mention here https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100/entry-requirements/ as well as a ucat of 2660 (im a RUK applicant). How are my odds of an interview?

Just need to meet minimum requirements - was it 5 As and AAA at A level. PS ypu ha e to show you have explored the career, but it is not scored.
Hi All,
I’m thinking of applying to St. Andrews I would love to get a second opinion.
GCSE: 2A* and 8A’s
UCAT: 2690 and B2
A level achieved: A*AA in RS, chem and Bio and A* in EPQ.
Thank you. ❤️
Reply 51
Original post by Fezza101
Hi All,
I’m thinking of applying to St. Andrews I would love to get a second opinion.
GCSE: 2A* and 8A’s
UCAT: 2690 and B2
A level achieved: A*AA in RS, chem and Bio and A* in EPQ.
Thank you. ❤️

Yes, you should get an interview provided your PS shows you have explored the career enough.
Hi,

I’m a EU applicant. I am predicted 38 with 666 HL (IB).
I got 675 B1 from my UCAT and I have some relevant clinical experience. Do I stand a chance for an interview?
Reply 53
Original post by arrabela
Hi,

I’m a EU applicant. I am predicted 38 with 666 HL (IB).
I got 675 B1 from my UCAT and I have some relevant clinical experience. Do I stand a chance for an interview?

Yes. You can e-mail to check you meet academic requirements, but you should be fine.
Should I still apply to st andrews medicine if I have a low UCAT score but high grades and a decent personal statement (as an international student)
I'd say go for it. Universities take into consideration lots of different aspects of your application, and whilst the UCAT is important, it's not the be all and end all. If you've got backups incase you get rejected then, just do it.
Reply 56
Original post by Anonymous
Should I still apply to st andrews medicine if I have a low UCAT score but high grades and a decent personal statement (as an international student)

No, St Andrews shortlists using UCAT scores. Previous cut-offs posted in this thread.
Reply 57
Original post by mollypearce123
I'd say go for it. Universities take into consideration lots of different aspects of your application, and whilst the UCAT is important, it's not the be all and end all. If you've got backups incase you get rejected then, just do it.

Do not give advice if you don't know what you are talking about. Anybody applying with a low UCAT will be rejected whatever the rest of their application is like. It IS the be all and end all for St Andrews once you meet the GCSE, A level and PS requirements.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TCL
Do not give advice if you don't know what you are talking about. Anybody applying with a low UCAT will be rejected whatever the rest of their application is like. It IS the be all and end all for St Andrews once you meet the GCSE, A level and PS requirements.

I was trying to be positive. I do know what I'm talking about, thank you. They didn't say how low their UCAT score actually was, for some people, a low score for some is high for others. Don't just assume i'm clueless.
Reply 59
Original post by mollypearce123
I was trying to be positive. I do know what I'm talking about, thank you. They didn't say how low their UCAT score actually was, for some people, a low score for some is high for others. Don't just assume i'm clueless.

Apparently clueless about how St Andrews select. Your post says “universities take into consideration lots of different aspects of your application”, St Andrews checks you meet minimum requirements and then rank using UCAT. A low score cannot be compensated for, even with stellar academic results. The sensible thing to do would be to direct OP towards the past admission stats which are posted earlier on the thread (or re-post them, given you are on top of the admission process!
Positivity is great, but being inaccurate and unrealistic helps nobody
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending