The Student Room Group

Please explain nuclear fusion!!

If two light nuclei join together to form a “heavier” nucleus, then how is the mass of the nucleus less. I know the mass is less because of some of it being converted to energy but wouldn’t that mean it becomes “lighter” instead? Because weight is influenced by mass. What does it mean by the nucleus becoming “heavier”?? I sound kinda dumb asking this.
Reply 1
Mass is converted to energy yes. But heavier just means that it is overall heavier than one if the nuclei on its own
Original post by Thanoswashere
If two light nuclei join together to form a “heavier” nucleus, then how is the mass of the nucleus less. I know the mass is less because of some of it being converted to energy but wouldn’t that mean it becomes “lighter” instead? Because weight is influenced by mass. What does it mean by the nucleus becoming “heavier”?? I sound kinda dumb asking this.

Simplified example and probably not the right numbers, but essentially nuclei of masses 2 and 3 fuse to make one of mass 1 and one of mass 3.99. The 0.01 left over is cinverted to energy.
Original post by Emiluu
Mass is converted to energy yes. But heavier just means that it is overall heavier than one if the nuclei on its own

Ok I think I understand now. Thank you so much for your help!
Reply 4
Original post by Thanoswashere
Ok I think I understand now. Thank you so much for your help!

Best to put it this way: light nuclei + light nuclei = heavier nuclei + energy
Original post by Dysf(x)al
Simplified example and probably not the right numbers, but essentially nuclei of masses 2 and 3 fuse to make one of mass 1 and one of mass 3.99. The 0.01 left over is cinverted to energy.

Thank you so much for explaining that. I find that the CGP explanations for my physics are too simple for what appears in the test
Original post by Emiluu
Best to put it this way: light nuclei + light nuclei = heavier nuclei + energy

Ok I’ll remember that for revision. Thank you 🙏🏼

Quick Reply

Latest