The Student Room Group

Synthetic Pathways/ Routes

Does anybody know how to form the synthetic pathways for A2 OCR Chemistry? I made a diagram for AS but the newer reactions just dont make any sense to me and the diagram in our text book doesnt contain all of the reactions necessary. I'm in a bit of a panic with Chemistry so any help would be great xx
Reply 1
Original post by StaleCereal
Does anybody know how to form the synthetic pathways for A2 OCR Chemistry? I made a diagram for AS but the newer reactions just dont make any sense to me and the diagram in our text book doesnt contain all of the reactions necessary. I'm in a bit of a panic with Chemistry so any help would be great xx

OCR A or B?
Which text book?
Which reactions do you think are missing?
Original post by Pigster
OCR A or B?
Which text book?
Which reactions do you think are missing?

Honestly I really don't know which OCR it is. Our books just say OCR. But I feel like I'm missing all of the reactions involving nitriles, amines and amides. Maybe the aromatic ones too? I'm just panicking and it's not helping.
Reply 3
Honestly I really don't know which OCR it is. Our books just say OCR. But I feel like I'm missing all of the reactions involving nitriles, amines and amides. Maybe the aromatic ones too? I'm just panicking and it's not helping.

If your book has sections named "Elements of life" and "Developing fuels", then its OCR B, but the vast majority of centres do OCR A, which would have sections named "Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements" or similar.

You didn't tell me anything that I could use to identify which book you are referring to. Author? Colour? Front cover? Publisher? Is it the AS book, or the A level book (or both)?
Original post by Pigster
If your book has sections named "Elements of life" and "Developing fuels", then its OCR B, but the vast majority of centres do OCR A, which would have sections named "Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements" or similar.

You didn't tell me anything that I could use to identify which book you are referring to. Author? Colour? Front cover? Publisher? Is it the AS book, or the A level book (or both)?

A2, so A level OCR. I’m certain it’s OCR A actually as module 5 is Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements. It’s written by Sam Holyman, David Scoot and Victoria Stutt. I’ve attached the routes diagram that is in the book. I tried extending the AS diagram I made by adding the new A level reactions and conditions and it’s so hard to connect everything in a coherent way.
Reply 5
A2, so A level OCR. I’m certain it’s OCR A actually as module 5 is Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements. It’s written by Sam Holyman, David Scoot and Victoria Stutt. I’ve attached the routes diagram that is in the book. I tried extending the AS diagram I made by adding the new A level reactions and conditions and it’s so hard to connect everything in a coherent way.

You'll be wanting this: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/359182-organic-synthesis-reaction-pathways.pdf

Oh my goodness!! Thank you so much you’re an absolute lifesaver!

Quick Reply

Latest