The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Official University of York Applicants Thread 2020

Are you applying to the University of York for 2020 entry? Then welcome to this thread!

This is the place to get to know other applicants and ask for advice during the application process.

We have Open Days on Saturday 14 September and Sunday 15 September 2019 where you can find out a bit about what living and studying at the University of York is really like. You can speak to departments and current students, take a tour of our campus and accommodation, and find out about life beyond your degree.
Book your place now: http://bit.ly/2MuOzkH.

Open Day Sept 2019 Graphic 1.jpg

Let’s get the conversation started...

Name?
Location (optional)?
Course?
Also applying at?
Currently studying?
Any questions about life at York?

Scroll to see replies

University of York
York
Reply 2
Michael Wester
Isle of Wight
Economics|Politics (Equal)
University of Birmingham, Oxford Brookes University, University of Southampton, University of Surrey
A Level Economics, Maths, Politics, AS Further Maths
Why should I go to to York?
(edited 4 years ago)
Holly Brunker
Milton Keynes
Politics and International Relations
Loughborough, Bristol, Nottingham and Lincoln
I absolutely loved York on the open day! I would just like to know a bit more about the colleges and also opinions on catered vs. self-catered?
Peter Conlin
Edinburgh
MBiol
St Andrews, Durham, Bath, Edinburgh
Maths, Chemistry, Biology (AH)

Wish all other applicants luck and look forward to maybe meeting some of you in the future!
Original post by MWester
Michael Wester
Isle of Wight
Economics|Politics (Equal)
University of Birmingham, Oxford Brookes University, University of Southampton, University of Surrey
A Level Economics, Maths, Politics, AS Further Maths
Why should I go to to York?

Hi there,

I could tell you about how we have a TEF Gold Award for teaching, or about how graduates have gone on to work for The World Food Programme and The European Parliament. However, I'd rather tell you, from my own personal experience, that York is just an amazing place to go to university. You'll meet amazing people wherever you go, but with the college system at York, you truly feel like you're part of a big family.

Both the city and the University are full of life and charm. If you need proof York was named the best place to live in Britain by The Sunday Times in 2018, and the best city in the Luxury Lifestyle Magazine Readers' Travel Awards 2019. Aside from that, we strive to offer transformational experiences that let you achieve your goals and allow you to feel you've actually learned something - both academically and personally.

I hope this helps answer your question, but if you have anything else to ask, please feel free to!

Steph :h:
Original post by Holly Brunker
Holly Brunker
Milton Keynes
Politics and International Relations
Loughborough, Bristol, Nottingham and Lincoln
I absolutely loved York on the open day! I would just like to know a bit more about the colleges and also opinions on catered vs. self-catered?

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Open Day!

Do you have any specific questions about our college system? If it's just general curiousity, you can find more information about the colleges themselves here: https://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/, and more information about college life and rooms here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/student-life/colleges/.

In terms of catered versus self-catered, it really just depends on what you think is going to work best for you. Catered meals are a social experience that can help you make friends with your housemates, and means you don't have to worry about food on the weekdays. Self-catering offers a bit more independence, and can still be a social experience as you and your housemates bond over cooking for yourselves. You might find this video helpful:

Does York send out acknowledgements? I've already applied and was wondering if I'll receive anything...
Original post by Anonymous
Does York send out acknowledgements? I've already applied and was wondering if I'll receive anything...

Hi there,

You should receive an email a few days after admissions get your application from UCAS.

Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Open Day!

Do you have any specific questions about our college system? If it's just general curiousity, you can find more information about the colleges themselves here: https://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/, and more information about college life and rooms here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/student-life/colleges/.

In terms of catered versus self-catered, it really just depends on what you think is going to work best for you. Catered meals are a social experience that can help you make friends with your housemates, and means you don't have to worry about food on the weekdays. Self-catering offers a bit more independence, and can still be a social experience as you and your housemates bond over cooking for yourselves. You might find this video helpful:

Thank you! I'll definitely have a read a bit more about the college systems and check out the videos!
Reply 10
Hi there,

I could tell you about how we have a TEF Gold Award for teaching, or about how graduates have gone on to work for The World Food Programme and The European Parliament. However, I'd rather tell you, from my own personal experience, that York is just an amazing place to go to university. You'll meet amazing people wherever you go, but with the college system at York, you truly feel like you're part of a big family.

Both the city and the University are full of life and charm. If you need proof York was named the best place to live in Britain by The Sunday Times in 2018, and the best city in the Luxury Lifestyle Magazine Readers' Travel Awards 2019. Aside from that, we strive to offer transformational experiences that let you achieve your goals and allow you to feel you've actually learned something - both academically and personally.

I hope this helps answer your question, but if you have anything else to ask, please feel free to!

Thank you for your reply. I think York is a very good place to go. My only concern is that it is so far away and I do not want to feel lonely. I live on the Isle of Wight in the South and whilst wanting to become independent from my family, I do not want to go too far astray. However, at a University Fair in Winchester last July, I was struck with how friendly the York representative was, so I have considered it since. How do you address this problem?
Original post by MWester
Thank you for your reply. I think York is a very good place to go. My only concern is that it is so far away and I do not want to feel lonely. I live on the Isle of Wight in the South and whilst wanting to become independent from my family, I do not want to go too far astray. However, at a University Fair in Winchester last July, I was struck with how friendly the York representative was, so I have considered it since. How do you address this problem?

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you found our representative friendly and that you like the look of York.

Firstly, York has a lot of great transport links. The train station is only a half an hour walk from the University, and from there there are direct routes to most major cities. So, while you may not be able to do it too often, it would be possible for you to visit home. York is also a wonderful place to visit, there are plenty of hotels and B&B's and the University even offers reasonably priced rooms that guests can stay in. This means that your family could also visit you.

Secondly, all of our rooms have Wi-Fi, and so do all of the buildings on Campus West and Campus East. So, if you're missing your family, you can Skype or Facetime them whenever you want. You might also find that once you get to York, you'll be surrounded by people in the same situation as you, and so you'll be distracted by the excitement of starting university, and becoming independent. You'll meet many people who are also missing their families, and so you won't be lonely because you'll find it so easy to make friends.

Finally, if you're feeling homesick, the University has lots of helpful resources on how to deal with that feeling - you can find one of them here. You may also find our wellbeing pages helpful, as well as our Student Services and Student Support pages. There is also support in place within our colleges, such as our College Tutors and second and third year mentors (STYMs), so you'll never be without someone to talk to about how you're feeling.

Hope this helps!
Hi there,
I sent my application about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t received an acknowledgment email or anything, is there a way to check that my application was received ?

Also, has York started making offers / invites to interviews for law yet ?

Thanks
Jack
Reply 13
Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you found our representative friendly and that you like the look of York.

Firstly, York has a lot of great transport links. The train station is only a half an hour walk from the University, and from there there are direct routes to most major cities. So, while you may not be able to do it too often, it would be possible for you to visit home. York is also a wonderful place to visit, there are plenty of hotels and B&B's and the University even offers reasonably priced rooms that guests can stay in. This means that your family could also visit you.

Secondly, all of our rooms have Wi-Fi, and so do all of the buildings on Campus West and Campus East. So, if you're missing your family, you can Skype or Facetime them whenever you want. You might also find that once you get to York, you'll be surrounded by people in the same situation as you, and so you'll be distracted by the excitement of starting university, and becoming independent. You'll meet many people who are also missing their families, and so you won't be lonely because you'll find it so easy to make friends.

Finally, if you're feeling homesick, the University has lots of helpful resources on how to deal with that feeling - you can find one of them here. You may also find our wellbeing pages helpful, as well as our Student Services and Student Support pages. There is also support in place within our colleges, such as our College Tutors and second and third year mentors (STYMs), so you'll never be without someone to talk to about how you're feeling.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much. I will look to apply in the coming days and will look to come up and visit the university in the coming weeks. Do I need to notify the University when I am planning to visit?

Thanks,
Michael
Original post by Obvsjack
Hi there,
I sent my application about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t received an acknowledgment email or anything, is there a way to check that my application was received ?

Also, has York started making offers / invites to interviews for law yet ?

Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack,

I've been informed that the first acknowledgement emails will hopefully go out today. If you would like us to check whether your application was received, please send us your UCAS ID in a private message so that we can see if we have it.

As far as I'm aware interviews haven't been assigned yet, but if I find out otherwise, I'll let you know.

Hope this helps!
Original post by MWester
Thank you very much. I will look to apply in the coming days and will look to come up and visit the university in the coming weeks. Do I need to notify the University when I am planning to visit?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Happy to help :smile:

You might find our Campus Tours useful, which are happening towards the end of October. This would give you the opportunity to see what our accommodation is like as well, which you wouldn't have access to on a self-guided tour (which we also offer). You can find out more information here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/visit/campus-tours/.

Hope this helps!

Mya
English
Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Lancaster
English Lit, Philosophy, Politics
Any questions about life at York?- If after receiving an offer, there would be a chance to visit before we decide our choices, as I didn't get to visit on the open day ;(
Name: Rin
Course: Law
Also applying at: Manchester, Cardiff, Lancaster
Currently studying: A level Physics, Psychology, Maths
Questions:
1. Can we request for a single sex flat for accommodation?
2. If an offer is given, when do the university usually conduct the Law interviews? Is it possible to change the date?
Original post by RinTheRen
Name: Rin
Course: Law
Also applying at: Manchester, Cardiff, Lancaster
Currently studying: A level Physics, Psychology, Maths
Questions:
1. Can we request for a single sex flat for accommodation?
2. If an offer is given, when do the university usually conduct the Law interviews? Is it possible to change the date?

Hi Rin,

1. All of our accommodation is mixed gender and we can't accommodate requests for single gender blocks or flats. You can find more information here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/health/ and if you have any questions about this you can contact our accommodation team at [email protected] or ring them on +44 (0)1904 322165.

2. Interviews run from 10 December to 16 March, with a few dates in each month (except for January). You can request a change of date and admissions will work with you on this. If you have any further questions you can contact [email protected].

Hope this helps!

Original post by mdowdall
Mya
English
Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Lancaster
English Lit, Philosophy, Politics
Any questions about life at York?- If after receiving an offer, there would be a chance to visit before we decide our choices, as I didn't get to visit on the open day ;(

Hi Mya,

Don't worry about not being able to visit on our Open Days! We have plenty of other opportunities where you can get to know York a bit better, such as Visit Days, and both guided and self-guided Campus Tours. You can find more information about that here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visits/open-days/.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest