The Student Room Group

Soft A levels?

hello!

I'm wondering if English Literature is considered to be a "soft" subject to study at A level. I've heard that English Language isn't looked upon favourably, but I really have no idea. Also, just how interesting is English Lit. ???

I'm also considering doing Biology and History at A level, but your advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by depressticles
hello!

I'm wondering if English Literature is considered to be a "soft" subject to study at A level. I've heard that English Language isn't looked upon favourably, but I really have no idea. Also, just how interesting is English Lit. ???

I'm also considering doing Biology and History at A level, but your advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The concept of 'soft' subjects as well as 'facilitating' subjects doesn't exist anymore. English Lit is 100% fine. English Lang is also fine. If you really wanted, you could do combined English Lit&Lang.

Don't worry too much about what's apparently respected and what's not. Just do the subjects you enjoy the most and will do well on. Also, when choosing your subjects consider what you'd potentially like to do after finishing school.
Original post by Quick-use
The concept of 'soft' subjects as well as 'facilitating' subjects doesn't exist anymore. English Lit is 100% fine. English Lang is also fine. If you really wanted, you could do combined English Lit&Lang.

Don't worry too much about what's apparently respected and what's not. Just do the subjects you enjoy the most and will do well on. Also, when choosing your subjects consider what you'd potentially like to do after finishing school.

Thank you, this makes me feel better about what I might like to do. Would Biology, History and English Lit. leave me in a less flexible position though? Although the skills developed in English Lit. might be transferable to History, I'm not sure if it's a good combination (Biology).

I'm still unsure about English Lit. tbh, but that's because I'm not sure how I'd handle it. I definitely want to take History though.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the response!
Thank you, this makes me feel better about what I might like to do. Would Biology, History and English Lit. leave me in a less flexible position though? Although the skills developed in English Lit. might be transferable to History, I'm not sure if it's a good combination (Biology).

I'm still unsure about English Lit. tbh, but that's because I'm not sure how I'd handle it. I definitely want to take History though.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the response!

Your subjects don't have to 'connect' or anything. Even if they're unrelated, that's fine. I'm not sure what you mean by less flexible position. Less flexible position for what?

Do you know what you might want to do after school? If you want to go to university and do a degree, then make sure to check the entry requirements for that degree. If there are no specific entry requirements, you're free to do whatever you like. :rambo:
Your subjects don't have to 'connect' or anything. Even if they're unrelated, that's fine. I'm not sure what you mean by less flexible position. Less flexible position for what?

Do you know what you might want to do after school? If you want to go to university and do a degree, then make sure to check the entry requirements for that degree. If there are no specific entry requirements, you're free to do whatever you like. :rambo:

I'd like to do something related to History as a job (so I figure I'll need a history degree). I don't perform brilliantly at school, but I enjoy science and I hoped taking Biology at A level would leave some room for experimentation. Now that I think about it though, Biology doesn't have much of a connection with History/English Lit. , which just makes me even more unsure about English Lit. I'm basically trying to say that A level Biology alone most likely wouldn't lead me down a scientific path, would it? Knowing that my subjects don't have to have much of a connection in order to be useful is a comfort though.

Overall, I'm sure about taking History at A level and I'm pretty sure about Biology. My third option's still in play (sorry if that makes the thread feel pointless).

Thanks for the advice (and the incredibly swift responses!). I feel like it'll be useful no matter the A levels I decide to take. :smile:
English Lit is one of the most respected subjects along with Maths and would be an ideal fit with History. If however you are looking at science you might need Chemistry It depends what you see as your future. It is most important you take subjects you enjoy and excel in . It might also be worth looking at new subjects like Psychology and Sociology. Universities have a list of preferred subjects and all the above wold be acceptable.
Original post by swanseajack1
English Lit is one of the most respected subjects along with Maths and would be an ideal fit with History. If however you are looking at science you might need Chemistry It depends what you see as your future. It is most important you take subjects you enjoy and excel in . It might also be worth looking at new subjects like Psychology and Sociology. Universities have a list of preferred subjects and all the above wold be acceptable.

I guess I have some thinking to do. As you suggested, I'll take a look at Chemistry (although I'm not sure if I'm good enough to have a career in science, so taking two sciences may not be for me). I'll check out some social sciences too, as I haven't taken these into consideration and it might be a good idea. In all honesty, I think I'm leaning into history - but things keep changing.
Cheers.
If you enjoy history then have a look at politics as well.
I guess I have some thinking to do. As you suggested, I'll take a look at Chemistry (although I'm not sure if I'm good enough to have a career in science, so taking two sciences may not be for me). I'll check out some social sciences too, as I haven't taken these into consideration and it might be a good idea. In all honesty, I think I'm leaning into history - but things keep changing.
Cheers.

I wouldn't take science A levels just for the sake of flexibility. If you don't enjoy it then you won't enjoy doing a job in it for the rest of your life. Do what you enjoy and what you're good at. You could also consider A level Religious Studies. It's extremely interesting and easy. :rambo:
Cheers.

If you dont think you are good enough dont take Chemistry. It does seem likely you will go down the Humanities route possibly History, English Lit and Politics. Whatever you choose now you will usually be able to change on results day so dont worry too much.
If you dont think you are good enough dont take Chemistry. It does seem likely you will go down the Humanities route possibly History, English Lit and Politics. Whatever you choose now you will usually be able to change on results day so dont worry too much.

After hearing what everyone has said I feel much more comfortable taking that route. I'd still like to take Biology (because it's one of the most engaging subjects imo), but I don't think Chemistry/Physics is for me. I've decided on subjects I enjoy and am predicted high grades in (English Lit, Biology and History). It's also a real comfort to know that it's possible to change your options after obtaining your results. If my GCSE English Lit. doesn't go well then I'll probably look to Criminology at A level instead. In fact, Criminology sounds like a decent option regardless of how well I do in English.

Thank you everyone, you've really helped me out. I'm much less worried about choosing my A levels now and you've all helped me think a little more rationally. Chemistry is not a good idea for me! If I go to Uni, I won't be going to a top one. I really shouldn't stress too much about whether prestigious schools consider my options to be traditional enough for their taste. Besides, Biology/History/English Lit are well respected subjects anywhere (thanks for telling me). If I choose Criminology over English Lit (but have History and Biology behind me) then I'm sure I'll be fine.

Have a good one everybody! :smile:
hello!

Thanks in advance.

I study sciences, but english lit is by no means a soft subject. Of the humanities, I’d probably say it’s the hardest. Eng lit, History and Biology would make a nice combination- they’re academic and also mixed so you don’t get too tired of writing essays/science. It also makes you open to loads of careers like law. If you liked english lit at gcse, you’ll love it at A level- because it’s just more of that except in greater detail. As for english language.. yeah don’t.
I wouldn't take science A levels just for the sake of flexibility. If you don't enjoy it then you won't enjoy doing a job in it for the rest of your life. Do what you enjoy and what you're good at. You could also consider A level Religious Studies. It's extremely interesting and easy. :rambo:

That's true. I shouldn't invest so much time and effort into the sciences if I'm not going to be pursuing a career in it.

Although I agree that Religious Studies is interesting, it isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks for all your responses btw, they've really helped me!

Maths A level will never be comparable to an English A level due to Maths being way more difficult than English. Maths is also respected more due to this. Also, when it comes to the 'hard' A levels, English is towards the mid/bottom end as generally people who did well at English gcse will maintain their grade throughout A level because they're naturally good at it
Original post by Anna191817
I study sciences, but english lit is by no means a soft subject. Of the humanities, I’d probably say it’s the hardest. Eng lit, History and Biology would make a nice combination- they’re academic and also mixed so you don’t get too tired of writing essays/science. It also makes you open to loads of careers like law. If you liked english lit at gcse, you’ll love it at A level- because it’s just more of that except in greater detail. As for english language.. yeah don’t.

That makes me feel a lot better. When I told people about the options I'd been considering they acted a little stuck up when I brought up the English. Then again, they probably just hate the amount of annotating we've had to do for GCSE English Lit. (it's excessive to say the least). English Language doesn't have the greatest reputation.

I know that many would view this as a considerable downgrade, but what if I took Criminology rather than English Lit?

I'm aware that Criminology is considered to be significantly softer than English Lit, but combined with History and Biology it wouldn't be so bad?
I feel like two academic subjects and a social science could work???

Thank you!
Original post by Huckipity
Maths A level will never be comparable to an English A level due to Maths being way more difficult than English. Maths is also respected more due to this. Also, when it comes to the 'hard' A levels, English is towards the mid/bottom end as generally people who did well at English gcse will maintain their grade throughout A level because they're naturally good at it

Can’t you the same be said for maths? People with a natural aptitude for maths will likely maintain their grades. You can’t simply say one subject is easier than the other. It’s all relative to the person. I know people who find english harder than maths.
Original post by Huckipity

There is no such thing as 'a more respected A level' anymore : https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

And Maths is not preferred over English.

What utter nonsense.
Nothing about english lit is soft!! It's very highly respected because of the skills you learn and just generally the fact that it is a quite difficult A Level.

Thanks in advance.

Any idea what subject you might want to do at Uni?
How did you do in your GCSEs in English Lit, English Lang, Biology and History?

Quick Reply

Latest