The Student Room Group

why do I start to shake and have breathing problems when I talk in class

okay so, Im a pretty confident person sometimes, I answer questions and I'm really talkative, but when it comes to reading stuff out in-class I start to shake. this one time I was picked to read out a chapter in a book in class, I was prepared because I knew I would be picked and I read perfectly until the next half, I started to shake and my voice started to tremble and the words in the book became a bit blurry and I couldn't breathe. so I kept stopping after sentences and everyone was looking at me. (this wasn't the first time it happened). I felt so disappointed in my self because I want to be the type of person that can smash their presentations and be really confident. But I can't even read out a couple paragraphs without getting anxiety after a while. I don't know if this is common or if I have social anxiety, I want to get rid out this weird feeling, what do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
okay so, Im a pretty confident person sometimes, I answer questions and I'm really talkative, but when it comes to reading stuff out in-class I start to shake. this one time I was picked to read out a chapter in a book in class, I was prepared because I knew I would be picked and I read perfectly until the next half, I started to shake and my voice started to tremble and the words in the book became a bit blurry and I couldn't breathe. so I kept stopping after sentences and everyone was looking at me. (this wasn't the first time it happened). I felt so disappointed in my self because I want to be the type of person that can smash their presentations and be really confident. But I can't even read out a couple paragraphs without getting anxiety after a while. I don't know if this is common or if I have social anxiety, I want to get rid out this weird feeling, what do I do?

Ahhh, I get where you're coming from, it's normal to get nervous whilst reading out to a group of people or giving a presentation even if you're usually confident, don't worry too much about it, but a good way to learn to overcome it is by volunteering to read out, as often as you can even if you're nervous, that way you get used to it
Reply 2
Original post by Judith.
Ahhh, I get where you're coming from, it's normal to get nervous whilst reading out to a group of people or giving a presentation even if you're usually confident, don't worry too much about it, but a good way to learn to overcome it is by volunteering to read out, as often as you can even if you're nervous, that way you get used to it

thanks, will do xx
just remember. if u mess up people will forget after 2 seconds.
Reply 4
Original post by arusham
thanks, will do xx

Np x
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

First, you accept that you have public speaking anxiety. Then you analyse what you are thinking about when you are actually doing the presentations. (Also, being talkative is nothing like the same thing as public speaking!) Then you need to remind yourself that you need more practice at public speaking, so keep volunteering to do it! And the most important thing to understand: the presentation is not about you and how good or bad you are! It is about giving the class some information -full stop! It is not about you! So get out of your own way! Volunteer to do it again and again and you feel see that it gets easier- and see how right and smart i am about public speaking. Thats how i deal with public speaking! Its not personal!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending