The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE without GCSE's in English, Maths, Science?

I really really want to become a primary teacher, but I dont have grade C's in GCSE English, Maths, Science. I have a degree, scraped a 2:2, and I'd get a day or two of school experience before starting as Ive heard they like that. I know that these GCSE's are needed. Does anyone have experience of getting a "conditional' offer with me needing to pass these exams? Or is it too competitive? I'm guessing needing all 3 is unusual that's all and I heard primary is difficult to get into but I really want to get offers!! Fwiw Id avoid the places like Cambridge

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I_want_2__teach
I really really want to become a primary teacher, but I dont have grade C's in GCSE English, Maths, Science. I have a degree, scraped a 2:2, and I'd get a day or two of school experience before starting as Ive heard they like that. I know that these GCSE's are needed. Does anyone have experience of getting a "conditional' offer with me needing to pass these exams? Or is it too competitive? I'm guessing needing all 3 is unusual that's all and I heard primary is difficult to get into but I really want to get offers!! Fwiw Id avoid the places like CambridgeThanks!

You need GCSEs in all 3 of them to get into Primary PGCE.
Most places also ask for at least 1 week of work experience.
What degree did you do btw?
I really really want to become a primary teacher, but I dont have grade C's in GCSE English, Maths, Science. I have a degree, scraped a 2:2, and I'd get a day or two of school experience before starting as Ive heard they like that. I know that these GCSE's are needed. Does anyone have experience of getting a "conditional' offer with me needing to pass these exams? Or is it too competitive? I'm guessing needing all 3 is unusual that's all and I heard primary is difficult to get into but I really want to get offers!! Fwiw Id avoid the places like Cambridge

Thanks!

What is your degree in? I'm slightly surprised a university accepted you without English GCSE ...
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
You need GCSEs in all 3 of them to get into Primary PGCE.
Most places also ask for at least 1 week of work experience.
What degree did you do btw?

Fashion marketing. They needed GCSE English but I was a mature student so I didnt need it. Ok I can get maybe five days in school but it looks like that wouldnt be paid. Yes I know i need those GCSE's but I could get a "conditional" offer to do them but I don't know if I would get that offer as primary is 'competitive' so I'm asking. Thanks
Original post by Muttley79
What is your degree in? I'm slightly surprised a university accepted you without English GCSE ...

Was a mature student so they let me in anyways
Original post by Muttley79

Fashion marketing but now i want to teach.
any advice would be really nice
Fashion marketing. They needed GCSE English but I was a mature student so I didnt need it. Ok I can get maybe five days in school but it looks like that wouldnt be paid. Yes I know i need those GCSE's but I could get a "conditional" offer to do them but I don't know if I would get that offer as primary is 'competitive' so I'm asking. Thanks

It's possible to get a conditional offer on the condition that you pass them 3 GCSEs as well as the Literacy and Numeracy Skills tests.

Do you currently have any experience working with children- in and outside the classroom?
It's possible to get a conditional offer on the condition that you pass them 3 GCSEs as well as the Literacy and Numeracy Skills tests.

Do you currently have any experience working with children- in and outside the classroom?

Oh good! I will apply! I helped at kids summer camp a few yrs ago. My job is "'non-graduate'" and boring, it's just admin. so i remembered my times then and that I enjoyed primary school and working with kids and looked it up. it would be good for me because I already have a degree so it would just take one year then I would be a teacher! I will just write in my "personal statement" that I will work to pass the GCSE's soon. and "volunteer" in a school after the summer holidays as my cousin is a teacher!

I know fashion isnt primary teaching but I looked it up and any degree is good for primary?
I know fashion isnt primary teaching but I looked it up and any degree is good for primary?

Look on here: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

You can get specific advice on there;

My advice would be to do a proper PGCE at a university - do not do SCITT or any other 'scheme'.
Oh good! I will apply! I helped at kids summer camp a few yrs ago. My job is "'non-graduate'" and boring, it's just admin. so i remembered my times then and that I enjoyed primary school and working with kids and looked it up. it would be good for me because I already have a degree so it would just take one year then I would be a teacher! I will just write in my "personal statement" that I will work to pass the GCSE's soon. and "volunteer" in a school after the summer holidays as my cousin is a teacher!

When you apply via UCAS, you should list the GCSEs as pending on your application- don't waste space discussing them in your PS, which should be about why you want to teach and the experience you have.

Would you be self studying for these GCSEs, or could you find a college course for at least some of them? For English and maths these are widely available and they may help you get your head around the new style exams- which especially in English are harder than they used to be.

I'm not sure if you will get offers this year, but you may as well apply and find out- if you get rejected from your initial 3 choices, you can keep applying via apply2 as well.
Hmmm... my advice would be to get those GCSEs under your belt first.
I’ve recently passed my maths after 4 times, I had applied before but even though I had maths pending and I had a lot of experience and all the other qualifications needed, I didn’t even get to interview stage and it was because of the maths.
The universities have to look at the basic qualifications the applicants have, if one applicant has all their GCSEs at C, a 2:2 or above degree and a weeks school experience they will be more likely to select them than the one who has a 8 Cs and D in English, a 2:1 degree and a years experience as a TA.
Sorry to sound harsh but I speak from experience.
do gcse equivalency exams in all the subjects and do them with A* Teachers. theyre alot easier. good luck!
I’ve recently passed my maths after 4 times, I had applied before but even though I had maths pending and I had a lot of experience and all the other qualifications needed, I didn’t even get to interview stage and it was because of the maths.
The universities have to look at the basic qualifications the applicants have, if one applicant has all their GCSEs at C, a 2:2 or above degree and a weeks school experience they will be more likely to select them than the one who has a 8 Cs and D in English, a 2:1 degree and a years experience as a TA.
Original post by Claudette

It is hard to even get a TA job without having GCSEs in English, Maths and Science. Some schools have GCSE Maths and English tests as part of their recruitment process.
Original post by Constantine2018
It is hard to even get a TA job without having GCSEs in English, Maths and Science. Some schools have GCSE Maths and English tests as part of their recruitment process.

Quite right. Many ask for passes in maths and English. Although, in my career a TA I’ve never had to do any tests for recruitment.
Reply 17
It is no longer necessary for applicants to take the Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy that have been required in previous years. They have been withdrawn by the Department for Education. Instead, initial teacher education providers now have responsibility for the literacy and numeracy skills of their trainees. You should expect a process of assessment and development of your literacy and numeracy skills between interview and graduation.

Just read this on the government website.... stupid GCSE rule as of Oct 2019 does NOT apply anymore for secondary PGCE ;-)
Original post by Coz 1
It is no longer necessary for applicants to take the Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy that have been required in previous years. They have been withdrawn by the Department for Education. Instead, initial teacher education providers now have responsibility for the literacy and numeracy skills of their trainees. You should expect a process of assessment and development of your literacy and numeracy skills between interview and graduation.

Just read this on the government website.... stupid GCSE rule as of Oct 2019 does NOT apply anymore for secondary PGCE ;-)

Sorry for butting into this discussion, but is this true!?

I have a D in my GCSE English but I am getting my IELTS results soon, I know I will get a good grade as I did it to get my Bachelor in Media degrees.

I am desperate to be a teacher of Media (niche, I know) but I am scared that the GCSE English grade will just be an immediate write-off from my choices...
Reply 19
I got a D in both GCSE Maths and Science at school can I resit these at night college and still train to be a teacher? I know the rules have changed in terms of the way professional test so I’m wondering if they would accept that as it’s 2 years part time training whilst you work and get paid in a school. Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending