The Student Room Group

Rory Stewart leaves the Tories

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BrexitPopulist
Good. Hopefully he’ll find a new party where his views are more representative of its members.
Enough of this ‘broad church’ rubbish, which is basically just PR for having unrepresentative, establishment candidates imposed from above on local membership. I’m glad the Conservative and Labour parties are both becoming more democratic.🙂

Although I disagree with him on virtually everything, Rory actually seems like a genuine, decent guy and I wish him good luck esp in the mayoral race (unless the Brexit party fields a decent candidate)

You're a Brexit Party supporter. The Conservative Party should have absolutely nothing to do with your type of politics. We're certainly not your friends.

Ironically, a Rory Stewart leadership of the party would probably have opened some space for right-wing populism on the fringes. Boris Johnson, however, is out to destroy you.
Original post by L i b
Believe it or not, the Conservative Party is not just a lot of port-soaked Sir Bufton Tuftons, weird narrow-eyed "sovereigntists", aggressive gammons who hate the modern world and creepy teenage Thatcherite yobbos in ill-fitting suits.

These swivel-eyed sorts might feel emboldened in the party right now, but given half the chance they'll run decades of reasonableness, moderation and a reputation for competence into the ground.

You think people like Rory Stewart is the best version for the Tory Party?
Original post by L i b
You're a Brexit Party supporter. The Conservative Party should have absolutely nothing to do with your type of politics. We're certainly not your friends.

Ironically, a Rory Stewart leadership of the party would probably have opened some space for right-wing populism on the fringes. Boris Johnson, however, is out to destroy you.

I’m not a conservative supporter by any stretch - I think they’ve been a disaster for the country. That said I think you’ll find that the bulk of the Conservative membership is far more friendly to the Brexit party than to the Lib Dem’s or people like Stewart.

Sure but Stewart would have vetoed Brexit which is far more important than party loyalty, TBP would gladly sacrifice the Brexit party's chances at the GE if Boris delivered a no- deal break which is a far greater prize.

We’ll see if Boris is able to destroy us. I doubt it if he’s planning an extension. Populism is on the rise no matter what happens 🔥🔥🔥
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Johnson can't so much as authorise the purchase of a paperclip via Parliament now.

Corbyn really does have to allow a general election sooner rather than later, the current situation is increasingly ridiculous and unfeasible.

You got that right, it's a terrible situation parliament is in. I think the fixed term parliament act needs abolishing fir our democracy and constitution, the cracks of it is on display for all to see at the moment.
Original post by Wired_1800
That is fair but I think people are attacking the Tories for being too extreme. I largely think this is because of Brexit and people prefer to catastrophise the current situation.

We have our Labour Party being viewed as left-wing lunatics while the Tories are viewed as right-wing racists. I think this extreme views need to stop.

Also Parties are a broad church where all views are welcome.

This

The truth is remaining in the EU is not left at all, its actually more right than left. The conservatives are learing not far right by supporting Brexit. Nonsense argument that's being presented.
Original post by bhot_lagucj
Next he will join the Lib Dems.

No chance, it's not that right wing or stupid.
Original post by Burton Bridge
This

The truth is remaining in the EU is not left at all, its actually more right than left. The conservatives are learing not far right by supporting Brexit. Nonsense argument that's being presented.

I think the attacks on the Tory Party is not actually about Brexit but elements surrounding Brexit like xenophobia, racism, far-right nationalism and, in some tiny cases, fascism.

Although there are people in the Tory Party who possess these attributes and have these views, I don't think it is endemic in the Party. Just as I don't buy the nonsense about the Labour Party and the extreme left-wing rhetoric.

My annoyance is that modern politics now push extremes. If one does not agree with another, the person is a fascist or climate-change denier or racist etc. Common sense and rational debate seem to have gone out of the window.
They should be, but right now, they clearly aren't.

This kind of demand for purist radicalism infects the minor parties as well - the Greens for example can be rather unwelcoming and obsessed with trivial greenshaming and norms based on upper middle class twittish interpretations of how to make progress.

I agree with you again, what's cracking on here.... we need to disagree stop talking sence :biggrin::tongue:

The greens are cannot be called a serious party with crazy policies that hold on inequality and security. How can you be serious when you think it should be legal to join a terrorist group,? What a bunch of clowns!
I think the attacks on the Tory Party is not actually about Brexit but elements surrounding Brexit like xenophobia, racism, far-right nationalism and, in some tiny cases, fascism.

Although there are people in the Tory Party who possess these attributes and have these views, I don't think it is endemic in the Party. Just as I don't buy the nonsense about the Labour Party and the extreme left-wing rhetoric.

My annoyance is that modern politics now push extremes. If one does not agree with another, the person is a fascist or climate-change denier or racist etc. Common sense and rational debate seem to have gone out of the window.

Oh absolutely mate, unfortunately I think it will stay out the window until we get brexit started, we must get brexit started its litterally the most important thing, we are sinking at the moment in a sea of infighting every man and his dog are shouting "you are either with me or you're against me"
Original post by bhot_lagucj
Boris is not going to follow the Benn act, he will find a loophole to leave with no deal, then even if it gets challenged in the supreme court, britain is already out of the EU. The plan from day 1 was to stall parliament, leave with no deal, call an election, win an election and then resume the status quo.

I highly doubt that, did you hear the court reading today?
Original post by fallen_acorns
the fact that he is more liked by supporters of the opposition parties than his own, should tell you the problem..

Stupid political decision though, leaving to stand as an indipendant for the mayor of London? He has no chance. Hes not going to win the left-wing vote away from Khan, and hes not going to win the right-wing vote because hes a remainer.

If he wants to remain in politics.. join the libs. If he doesn't, resign.. but the idea to run for the mayor of london is just stupid.

I dont think hes anywhere near as intelligent as he's been made out to be. I thought he was playing a political game in the leadership contest, stranger things have happened but I'll be amazed if he hmfer mayor of London
I was surprised that he did not remain in such a fine Party as the Labour Party. He lost his soul when he moved over to the dark side.

Is that actually true?
Reply 52
Rory Stewart is a joke of a politician. His views are not Conservative

Who are you to attempt to make such a claim?
Reply 53
Pity, he was a good MP and actually had some principles unlike his colleagues.
JCorbyn really does have to allow a general election sooner rather than later, the current situation is increasingly ridiculous and unfeasible.

An election would risk a Johnson majority though. The current situation, however ludicrous, at least prevents a hard Brexit.
Original post by Napp
Who are you to attempt to make such a claim?

I am no one.
Is that actually true?

Yes, it appears so. He was supported and loved by more people outside of his Party than inside his own Party.
Oh absolutely mate, unfortunately I think it will stay out the window until we get brexit started, we must get brexit started its litterally the most important thing, we are sinking at the moment in a sea of infighting every man and his dog are shouting "you are either with me or you're against me"

Brexit needs to be triggered by October 31, so we can get the Labour Party into Downing Street.
I am unable to remember the exact publication, sorry. But it was scathing about Mr Stewart. Apparently, he was stationed in the Middle East and “took” the wife of a colleague.

You mean Turquoise Mountain's dirty little games in Afghanistan.
Dr Noah Coburn, Shoshana Clark Coburn, Rory Stewart and probably half the black ops teams of usa & uk intelligence. :biggrin:
I can still remember the scandalised whispers, stwc never-ending moralistic outrage and maternal grandmother indignantly howling about the sordid activities being on par with the antics of Lord Byron.

Terribly indiscreet of the Telegraph, Daily Mail and Evening Standard to publish.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/rory-stewart-the-tory-mp-who-went-to-afghanistan-and-came-back-with-a-glamorous-new-fianc-8198797.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9434945/How-lover-of-Conservative-MP-Rory-Stewart-left-her-husband-heartbroken-in-Afghanistan.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180711/Charity-worker-broke-husbands-heart-leaving-Tory-MP-met-volunteering-Afghanistan.html
Original post by Drewski
Nice sentiment, but...

...you can't say that after saying this.

Politics is too divided, it is too tribalistic. But you can't say that, and say that parties should have a wide range and cover a spectrum, while at the same time saying someone shouldn't hold the views they do in the party they're in. You're railing against yourself..?

That is fair. Just to clarify, I think a Party should have fundamental values that bind all of its members. Stewart was more popular outside his Party than within his own Party.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending