The Student Room Group

Adult acne

i'm 22 and have had spots since i was 12. it's now mostly cystic acne around my jawline and chin, which i think means it's most likely hormonal.

i've tried basically every high street anti-blemish treatment you can think of over the years as well as prescription stuff like benzoyl peroxide but nothing works.

i really don't want to take any medication like roaccutane just yet though as my acne is not that severe. maybe if it does get any worse i would look into that.

so can anyone recommend anything else that i might not have tried? preferably not too expensive and easy to get hold of.

(also i've tried going dairy-free too but that didn't help and i'm not allowed to go on the combined pill which i know sometimes helps people)
Have you tried antibiotics? They are the next step when things like benzoyl peroxide doesn't work. If you are a girl, another option is the contraceptive pill Dianette. I would suggest seeing your GP.
Original post by Anonymous
i'm 22 and have had spots since i was 12. it's now mostly cystic acne around my jawline and chin, which i think means it's most likely hormonal.

i've tried basically every high street anti-blemish treatment you can think of over the years as well as prescription stuff like benzoyl peroxide but nothing works.

i really don't want to take any medication like roaccutane just yet though as my acne is not that severe. maybe if it does get any worse i would look into that.

so can anyone recommend anything else that i might not have tried? preferably not too expensive and easy to get hold of.

(also i've tried going dairy-free too but that didn't help and i'm not allowed to go on the combined pill which i know sometimes helps people)

Sometimes your skin is just acne prone. I'm 24 and have acne still. My mum is almost 50 and she still has acne. It can be genetic and it's just a case of keeping your skin clean and managing break outs. I personally use sudocrem - it often reduces the redness and inflammation overnight. It seems to speed up healing. I'd suggest speaking to a doctor about it if it's bothering you a lot. They may have some options for you to try.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
Have you tried antibiotics? They are the next step when things like benzoyl peroxide doesn't work. If you are a girl, another option is the contraceptive pill Dianette. I would suggest seeing your GP.

I did use antibiotics about 5 years ago and they helped a bit but I stopped using them and can't remember why... maybe I will look into that again. And the only contraceptive pill I can take is the mini pill, not sure is Dianette is? Think I will go to the GP and see
Original post by Anonymous
I did use antibiotics about 5 years ago and they helped a bit but I stopped using them and can't remember why... maybe I will look into that again. And the only contraceptive pill I can take is the mini pill, not sure is Dianette is? Think I will go to the GP and see

Dianette is a combined pill.

It's definitely worth having a chat to your GP :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by -Eirlys-
Sometimes your skin is just acne prone. I'm 24 and have acne still. My mum is almost 50 and she still has acne. It can be genetic and it's just a case of keeping your skin clean and managing break outs. I personally use sudocrem - it often reduces the redness and inflammation overnight. It seems to speed up healing. I'd suggest speaking to a doctor about it if it's bothering you a lot. They may have some options for you to try.

It's so unfair! 😂 Especially as my parents and siblings have clear skin. Yeah I use sudocrem from time to time too and it does help the redness. I'll go to the doctors and see what they say.
Hi,
I had a similar problem- my acne started when I was 12 and continued until I was 18. I found in particular it got really bad around exam time; it was at its absolute worst during my A levels. Over that 6 years I tried every topical cream that could be prescribed, was on and off doxycline and other antibiotics, cut dairy, chocolate, fizzy drinks and any thing else I could think off out of my diet. For ages my mum had been encouraging me to try roaccutane because she knew how badly it had been affecting my self esteem, but I always put it off because any time I had looked into it all I had seen were people complaining about the horrible side effects and about the risk of developing depression while on it; I didn't think It was worth it to put myself under extra stress during exam time. When I finished my A levels, I finally bit the bullet and got a referral to go to a dermatologist to talk to him about it. He encouraged me to give it a go and said that the side effects were only really bad in a small proportion of people. I took his advice and gave it a go and I have to say I wish I'd done it sooner. A year after finishing my course and my skin is completely clear (bar the odd stress induced breakout around exam time- which goes away completely with some topical treatment). Honestly, although everyone responds to medication differently I personally didn't notice any side effects whatsoever (except for very chapped lips, and a dry nose- my skin didn't even get very dry as I was sure to use a good moisturiser that my Dr recommended). I think that roaccutane is made out to be this super terrible, harsh drug that's a nightmare to be on, and though that's true for a small number of people, I really didn't mind being on it! Everyone knows whats best for themselves but I would definitely consider thinking about trying it!!
Hope you get sorted!!

Quick Reply

Latest