The Student Room Group

I regret choosing uni

Idk if this is the right forum but it is related to uni. My problem so far with uni is the work or the uni life, but because I literally cannot stop thinking about the debt I will be in when I leave. Uni is so bloody expensive. Its keeping me up at night and I can't concentrate on the work.

A friend of mine is doing a HND, at the college we went to, with the top-up year at the end (also at the same college). The tuition is costing him £6,500 per year while its costing me £9,250. He also doesn't need to pay for accommodation, washing, food etc. We're both doing a computing course which seem to be the same other than the fact that he doesn't need to do exams, which I hate btw. I seriously considered doing the HND but it all seemed too good to be true so I thought there must've been a catch somewhere. This scared me off and I shamefully picked uni instead because the careers adviser I kept visiting pointed out that I only start paying back the loan after £25,000. Since then, I have realised that what is the point of going to uni if I never earn enough to pay back the loan. I thought people go to uni to increase their chances of getting a high paying career. My friend will be paying back £18,500 when he leaves while I will need to pay back £55,000 not including interest! I feel like crying.

The only thing that might make going to uni worth it is the fact that I'm doing an extra industrial placement year which apparently looks really good on a CV but idk if it will actually help me when it comes to finding a job. Do you think the industrial placement justifies all of the extra expenditure that comes with going to uni?

Part of me really wants someone to just say that the HND with the top-up isn't worth much to employers and that I made the right choice going to uni but I don't think this is the case. From what I've read, a degree is a degree to an employer, you don't need to tell them where you got it from. I could write an entire essay ranting about this but to value your time I'll stop typing now. Thanks in advance to any replies
Reply 1
"I cannot stop thinking about..."
This sounds like an obsessive thought pattern. If you want help with this, the GP can point you in the right direction e.g. CBT and they would also consider medication (which you may not consider appropriate as your unhappiness is so specific to the £55k debt).

btw where/what type of further education college is the HND course based?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by happbee
Potentially, but try not to jump the gun there. Could just be that OP is struggling with adjustment to university and their brain is 'latching on' to the issue as a result.

It will all be OK, OP. Just make sure you get the support you need :smile:

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm struggling I just tend to obsessively worry about my decisions in life. With something as big as my next step in education I really want to make sure I have made the right decision. I don't want to regret picking this path in 10 years time when I'm paying taxes, bills, loads of other fees and my ever increasing student debt. If going to uni, and only uni, leads to a good career then that would be okay but that's a very big "if". I wish uni was the only option so then I wouldn't have to second guess myself or think about how my life would be if I picked a different path.
I'm sorry to hear (or see) that, Itsmith. This is exactly what I don't want and worry that this will happen to me. (it did lol)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by errrr99
"I cannot stop thinking about..."
This sounds like an obsessive thought pattern. If you want help with this, the GP can point you in the right direction e.g. CBT and they would also consider medication (which you may not consider appropriate as your unhappiness is so specific to the £55k debt).

btw where/what type of further education college is the HND course based?

I'm not sure but google says the college is a "college of further education" which takes on people aged 16 and up. It also keeps people on after they completed their a-levels/btech to do levels 4 to 6. Its part of the 'Collab Group' if that means anything to you.
Reply 5
If you cannot stop thinking about "what if" you had chosen the HND route, "what if" you had a personality clash with the tutors/other students and could not complete?

Or what if your learning style did not match the accepted learning style at the college?

The colleges do not seem to be funded to the same level as the universities, (I could be wrong, it's just an inference from the lower fees) so why would they be able to offer the same standard of learning support?

Quick Reply

Latest