The Student Room Group

Amylose and amylopectin?

I know that they're both bonds for starch but im not sure if glycogen has these bonds - are there more 1,6 bonds?
If anyone can explain the whole bonding of polysaccharides i would be really grateful.
Amylose has alpha 1,4 glycosidic bonds
Amylopectin has alpha 1,4 and alpha 1,6 glycosidic bonds
Glycogen has alpha 1,4 and alpha 1,6 glycosidic bonds but is more heavily branched (i.e. has more 1,6 bonds) than amylopectin.
Original post by king axolotl
Amylose has alpha 1,4 glycosidic bonds
Amylopectin has alpha 1,4 and alpha 1,6 glycosidic bonds
Glycogen has alpha 1,4 and alpha 1,6 glycosidic bonds but is more heavily branched (i.e. has more 1,6 bonds) than amylopectin.

so glycogen has more amylopectin than amylose?
Original post by khadija.khatun
so glycogen has more amylopectin than amylose?

glycogen doesnt contain amylose or amylopectin if that is your question
amylose and amylopecting both are in starch not glycogen
amylopectin is similiar to glycogen as it is highly branched but glycogen has shorter chains
glycogen and starch are similiar but different

also with bonding of polysaccharides the bonds you need to know are like 1,4 and 1,6 glycosidics and hydrogen. Pretty certian that is it.
Glycogen and Starch (amylose + amylopectin) are both alpha glucose and hold similiar properites to one another but starch is found as small grains in plants and glycogen is found as small granules in animals (mostly kidneys and muscles). They are both insoluble and storage molecules.
Glycogen is more highly branched and has shorter chains which is suitable for animals as they have a higher metabolic therefore respiratory rate than plants, because enzymes work quicker on hydrolysing glycogen to alpha glucose
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nitnendo
glycogen doesnt contain amylose or amylopectin if that is your question
amylose and amylopecting both are in starch not glycogen
amylopectin is similiar to glycogen as it is highly branched but glycogen has shorter chains
glycogen and starch are similiar but different

also with bonding of polysaccharides the bonds you need to know are like 1,4 and 1,6 glycosidics and hydrogen. Pretty certian that is it.
Glycogen and Starch (amylose + amylopectin) are both alpha glucose and hold similiar properites to one another but starch is found as small grains in plants and glycogen is found as small granules in animals (mostly kidneys and muscles). They are both insoluble and storage molecules.
Glycogen is more highly branched and has shorter chains which is suitable for animals as they have a higher metabolic therefore respiratory rate than plants, because enzymes work quicker on hydrolysing glycogen to alpha glucose

Thanks, i got confused because i thought amylose and amylopectin were glycosidic bonds (1,4 and 1,6). what do u mean by glycogen and starch (amylose and amylopectin) - are they just another word for the bonds for glycogen and starch
am i right in saying starch has both amylose and amylopectin?
I know that they're both bonds for starch but im not sure if glycogen has these bonds - are there more 1,6 bonds?
If anyone can explain the whole bonding of polysaccharides i would be really grateful.

Lets have a clear distinction first.
Both are polysaccharides, so have glycosidic bonds.
Starch is found in plants. Glycogen is found in animals in muscle tissues.

There are 2 types of starch, amylose and amylopectin.
Amylose has 1,6 glycosidic bonds
Amylopectin has 1,6 and 1,4 glycosidic bonds. This is why it is a branched molecule

Glycogen has 1,6 and 1,4 glycosidic bonds. It is a branched molecule but is more branched than amylopectin, allowing a rapid release of glucose as energy when needed.
Original post by Angelholic
Lets have a clear distinction first.
Both are polysaccharides, so have glycosidic bonds.
Starch is found in plants. Glycogen is found in animals in muscle tissues.

There are 2 types of starch, amylose and amylopectin.
Amylose has 1,6 glycosidic bonds
Amylopectin has 1,6 and 1,4 glycosidic bonds. This is why it is a branched molecule

Glycogen has 1,6 and 1,4 glycosidic bonds. It is a branched molecule but is more branched than amylopectin, allowing a rapid release of glucose as energy when needed.

thanks!
thanks!

No worries :smile: Glad to be of help.
No so amylopectin and amylose are two different structures that pack together to form starch. They are not bonds. Amylopectin has 1-6 glycosidics and 1-4 glycosidics whereas amylose only has 1-4. Glycogen doesnt have amylose or amylopectin. Glycogen is its own structure.If you are stuck seneca learning has a good a level biology course and if you need videos snap revise has a bunch of a level biology stuff on youtube
Original post by Nitnendo
No so amylopectin and amylose are two different structures that pack together to form starch. They are not bonds. Amylopectin has 1-6 glycosidics and 1-4 glycosidics whereas amylose only has 1-4. Glycogen doesnt have amylose or amylopectin. Glycogen is its own structure.If you are stuck seneca learning has a good a level biology course and if you need videos snap revise has a bunch of a level biology stuff on youtube

Thanks. So amylose and amylopectin are only molecules that make up starch with different bonding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending