The Student Room Group

Need help with choosing A Levels

Hello, im having a bit of trouble with choosing my A Levels for next year.

These are some subjects that i am interested in studying as A Levels and/or have proved pretty good in their GCSE equivalents:
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science
-Business
-Economics

My current choice goes Physics, Business, Computer Science and, if needed or offered a fourth choice, Economics.

Here is my first problem:
I recently spoke with a career's adviser and she told me that doing Physics A Levels without Maths or Further Maths A Level is equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot. Is this true? Should i refer to Chemistry instead? (The reason i dont want to do Maths as an A Level is because for me Physics is interesting enough for me to bother to do the maths behind it, but for Maths i just find it boring and at times confusing.)

My second problem is:
I currently have a few ideas of what i want to do after college in university, my current choices are: Architecture, Computer Science and Business. My question is: would the A Levels chosen above be enough for me to be able to get into any of these 3? Should i do 4 A Levels due to the lack of my Maths A Level? Or which of the 3 would i not be able to do with my initial choice (Business, Physics, Computer Science) and the back-up choice (Business, Chemistry, Computer Science)?
Most of your questions are answered in this TSR article : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/a-guide-to-choosing-your-sixth-form-subjects

To find out what you need for an intended University degree subject, you need to check the requirements on a range of different Uni websites - they will all be different. Make sure you also check any GCSE requirements.
Step 1: Look at the universities you want to attend
Step 2: Look at the courses you want to do at those unis
Step 3: look at the A level entry requirements

This will tell you exactly what subjects you need to get onto that course
Original post by vulcangtr

These are some subjects that i am interested in studying as A Levels and/or have proved pretty good in their GCSE equivalents:
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science
-Business
-Economics

My current choice goes Physics, Business, Computer Science and, if needed or offered a fourth choice, Economics.

I recently spoke with a career's adviser and she told me that doing Physics A Levels without Maths or Further Maths A Level is equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot. Is this true? Should i refer to Chemistry instead? (The reason i dont want to do Maths as an A Level is because for me Physics is interesting enough for me to bother to do the maths behind it, but for Maths i just find it boring and at times confusing.)

My second problem is:
I currently have a few ideas of what i want to do after college in university, my current choices are: Architecture, Computer Science and Business. My question is: would the A Levels chosen above be enough for me to be able to get into any of these 3? Should i do 4 A Levels due to the lack of my Maths A Level? Or which of the 3 would i not be able to do with my initial choice (Business, Physics, Computer Science) and the back-up choice (Business, Chemistry, Computer Science)?

Try your choices in this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

It's not a good idea to do BS and Economics ... check whether architecture will fit with your choices ...
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Try your choices in this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

It's not a good idea to do BS and Economics ... check whether architecture will fit with your choices ...

Dont worry i wouldnt do Business AND Economics haha...

Thank you for the website, I looked around and it seems that Architecture has no particular A Level requirements which is cool, and that website showed both Business and Computer Science as possible and likely, respectively.
Reply 5
Original post by Holly jade
Step 1: Look at the universities you want to attend
Step 2: Look at the courses you want to do at those unis
Step 3: look at the A level entry requirements

This will tell you exactly what subjects you need to get onto that course

I hope to study at an university abroad, hopefully on a scholarship but i dont count on it as its not super likely. should how do i go around that considering univerisites in America ( for example ) dont have A Level requirements?

Thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
Most of your questions are answered in this TSR article : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/a-guide-to-choosing-your-sixth-form-subjects

To find out what you need for an intended University degree subject, you need to check the requirements on a range of different Uni websites - they will all be different. Make sure you also check any GCSE requirements.

Thank you very much for the article, it was very helpful. I will go and do some research on uni websites.
Dont worry i wouldnt do Business AND Economics haha...

Thank you for the website, I looked around and it seems that Architecture has no particular A Level requirements which is cool, and that website showed both Business and Computer Science as possible and likely, respectively.

You did say you'd take Economics as a 4th ..

Do check architecture - some want Maths and some Art/Design ... you may restrict choice of uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
You did say you'd take Economics as a 4th ..

Do check architecture - some want Maths and some Art/Design ... you may restrict choice of uni.

Oh yeah, youre right haha... sorry im very tired right now. Thank you for the advice. And i will check for architecture universities requirements just in case.

Thank you.
I hope to study at an university abroad, hopefully on a scholarship but i dont count on it as its not super likely. should how do i go around that considering univerisites in America ( for example ) dont have A Level requirements?

Thank you.

Ahh, American universities will change how you have to look at things, in that case I’d say just do the subjects you love the most and think you’ll do the best in because you’ll need very high UMS :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by Holly jade
Ahh, American universities will change how you have to look at things, in that case I’d say just do the subjects you love the most and think you’ll do the best in because you’ll need very high UMS :smile:
Good luck!

Thank you very much! :smile: Ill try my hardest

-Physics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science
-Business
-Economics

My second problem is:

firstly, get rid of Business as it's a doss subject and clashes with Econ

secondly, you need to do maths for all 3 of Physics, Comp Sci and Economics.
Maths is known as a facilitating subject and even though your sciences are also facilitating subjects, most unis require you to have alevel maths to progress to subjects such as physics, chemistry, comp sci. I also have friends who really struggled with physics and also slightly chemistry without doing maths. I think you’ll regret it even if you find it a bit boring. Tbh I wouldn’t do business as an alevel subject because, as someone else said, it’s a doss subject. Furthermore I would say don’t do 4 alevels even if you are offered it because all universities base their offers off of 3 grades and doing a 4th means they can state that you must meet 4 grades instead and it can be harder to achieve as you are more thinly spread. Good luck
Original post by Odetosophxo
Maths is known as a facilitating subject

The concept of 'facilitating subjects' has now been formally dropped by the RG - it was really only that LSE that wanted it anyway. See : https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

However, your point about Maths being essential for a degree in Physics is totally valid.

-Physics
-Chemistry
-Computer Science
-Business
-Economics

My second problem is:

I would say maths is the language of physics, so its not possible to learn physics without understanding maths. The actual maths content in A-level is fairly trivial tbh and is designed to be taken without A-level maths, but doing A-level maths makes the numerical content much simpler, so its not essential but does substantially help.

I would say if you want to study computer science at uni maths should be required, you will need maths for this really.

Business: most business degrees dont require maths, but if you want to have a good understanding of the financial element of business (which is obv pretty important) and stats & calculus are hugely important, so A-level maths would also be hugely beneficial.

I would say if you want to learn any physics, study compsci or business (in the real world) you will need to understand maths and calculus in particular. If you are serious about these subjects bite the bullet and do A-level maths (and further math ideally). If not then your best of just steering clear of numerical A-levels such as physics, but this will limit your competency of understanding finance/financial modelling/econometrics etc. should you pursue the business degree route.
the easiest ones hun
If you want to study computer science at uni, you definitely need maths and for most good universities you will also need further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest