The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got ABB, since I’m on a gap year it’s my only option or to study a diff subject at a diff uni that could be Russell group, just want to decide between kent for law or non law at another uni to then convert with the GDL
Reply 2
Probably like Southampton or QMUL for languages
Original post by Ms1040
Basically, Is it a well-ish known name between firms or does it completely stop my chances of getting into a silver/magic circle firm or good chambers? I don’t wanna shoot myself in the foot early.

Moved to the Law forum :smile:

You won't be shooting yourself in the foot by going to Kent, I would say it's a reasonable choice with ABB, and certainly could make up one of your 5 UCAS choices. Having said that, you could also get offers from certain Russell group unis, which seems to be your preference, and do so without having to switch to a different subject. This is a list of what grades unis went down to in Clearing 2019. There are no guarantees that things will be the same for 2020 entry but it gives you a rough guide as to which unis are likely to be more flexible than you would think from their published entry requirements:

Southampton LLB vacancies ABB reportedly accepted BBC
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Sheffield Hallam BBC
QMUL indicative grade requirement of AAA
SOAS LLB BBB/BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
Newcastle LLB ABB
Cardiff .....LLB ABB reportedly BBC
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving BBB reportedly BBC
This might seem a bit odd to some people, but I'd probably opt to go to a uni that has a good law course and do non-law than to do law at a uni with a not-so-special law course. The reason being that you'll still be able to be in on all the stuff the law students will be doing (to illustrate, I met History, English and War Studies students at a firm office visit/presentation that our law society put together). Being able to just go to the firms' offices and hear straight from the horse's mouth is a huge advantage. You learn quite a bit and you get to hear from people who were actually in on the deals they're telling you about. The larger alumni network is another benefit. Alums will actually do their best to help you succeed and will be easier to build a good connection with. It's just in-group preference, people always tend to side with other people who they have something in common with. If you went to the same uni as them, they don't care what you studied, they'll view you as similar to themselves.

ABB's alright for a couple of courses at some unis with good law schools. If that's not up your alley, you can always try Bristol/Notts Law. According to Johan's data requests, they take on a sizeable number of ABB students every year.

The issue with getting a TC will most likely be your A-levels, not your university. Certain firms have a cut-off of AAB (some even have it at AAA).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HarvestingSeason
This might seem a bit odd to some people, but I'd probably opt to go to a uni that has a good law course and do non-law than to do law at a uni with a not-so-special law course. The reason being that you'll still be able to be in on all the stuff the law students will be doing (to illustrate, I met History, English and War Studies students at a firm office visit/presentation that our law society put together). Being able to just go to the firms' offices and hear straight from the horse's mouth is a huge advantage. You learn quite a bit and you get to hear from people who were actually in on the deals they're telling you about. The larger alumni network is another benefit. Alums will actually do their best to help you succeed and will be easier to build a good connection with. It's just in-group preference, people always tend to side with other people who they have something in common with. If you went to the same uni as them, they don't care what you studied, they'll view you as similar to themselves.

ABB's alright for a couple of courses at some unis with good law schools. If that's not up your alley, you can always try Bristol/Notts Law. According to Johan's data requests, they take on a sizeable number of ABB students every year.

The issue with getting a TC will most likely be your A-levels, not your university. Certain firms have a cut-off of AAB (some even have it at AAA).

Fair enough. I’d agree but I feel like Kent is a fine school, it wouldn’t put OP at a disadvantage by any means. If OP gets a first, is active in the law society and has good extra curricular they’ll be in a fine position
Original post by Ms1040
Basically, Is it a well-ish known name between firms or does it completely stop my chances of getting into a silver/magic circle firm or good chambers? I don’t wanna shoot myself in the foot early.

Hey there!
You certainly won't be shooting yourself in the foot at all by studying at Kent! You could find it useful to use Kent's Unibuddy programme to talk to some current Kent students and ask about they're getting on with finding employment after they graduate, could be quite useful to get some insight :smile: Here is the link in case you're interested.
I don't study Law unfortunately, but if you have any questions about life at Kent in general then please feel free to ask :smile:
Good luck with your university applications!
Hi I actually studied Law at Kent, graduated in 2018! I have not experienced any kind of 'prejudice' so far that I know of in terms of the uni and I got the same grades as you as well. I have met a few lawyers that went to Kent at networking days etc too! BUT a key thing I have realised after leaving Kent, is that a lot of law firms actually do not visit Kent. If you look at various law firms open days/presentation/evenings you will see that Kent is not one of them. (Do some research on this by looking at law firms calendars in terms of picking universities it might help) Firms even do application workshops at certain university's and we did not get any of that! Even at our law careers day while at Kent most of the law firms were south-east/ regional ones and of the time I was there I only remember receiving one visit/ workshop from a city law firm. I suppose I will never know what I missed out on and whether they were truly beneficial, but just thought it would be important to mention!
Is it really necessary to litter the majority of threads in the Law forum with these sort of passive aggressive and infantile remarks?
There is actually a considerable amount that could be said on this topic, although probably best left to a professional psychotherapist.

This forum provides an avenue for people to discuss and ask questions related to the study of Law. This will inevitably involve questions from newbies and the inexperienced. There is no obligation to answer questions you have heard a thousand times, especially with such a large number of posters on here.
Original post by tudor_777
There is actually a considerable amount that could be said on this topic, although probably best left to a professional psychotherapist.

This forum provides an avenue for people to discuss and ask questions related to the study of Law. This will inevitably involve questions from newbies and the inexperienced. There is no obligation to answer questions you have heard a thousand times, especially with such a large number of posters on here. However, a lot of threads quickly become debased into a platform for your childish posturing. Someone should really have told you by now that the smug and arrogant law student/professional caricature is a bit cheesey and dated at this point.

I think you're underestimating the contribution and dedication that J Papi has put into this forum, if you can see past the "smug" remarks then you'll notice that he's one of the genuine posters that won't mislead people into false hope, like half of the posters here do.

I think he's earned the right to be smug because he genuinely knows what he's talking about. :laugh:

This forum provides an avenue for people to discuss and ask questions related to the study of Law. This will inevitably involve questions from newbies and the inexperienced. There is no obligation to answer questions you have heard a thousand times, especially with such a large number of posters on here. However, a lot of threads quickly become debased into a platform for your childish posturing. Someone should really have told you by now that the smug and arrogant law student/professional caricature is a bit cheesey and dated at this point.

He knows what he's on about though, you say he does not need to answer questions but he does so to help people. I don't mind a bit of 'belittling' as you say as long as I get the advice/help I need. I'd always choose to be given answers. It's just not that serious lmao.

In all fairness, some of the questions people ask are ridiculous. There's a difference between questions from a newbie and questions from a naive teenager.

Plus the comment you quoted was towards me, and I wasn’t at all offended. It wasn’t ‘rude’, we will learn as we go through this process, that’s not an insult it’s a fact.
(edited 4 years ago)

We need J Papi's expertise on the Law forum and lots of people are grateful for his help.

If you want the Law forum to be a kinder place, you won't achieve it by personal insults
Original post by Ms1040

I dont think its a top Uni for the magic/silver circle firms, is it possible to go to those firms however? yes.
How likely? Pretty slim imo.

You also should do some google searches on the A-level requirements of these firms. Its not unusual for some law firms to require AAA/AAB hence the number of application to magic & silver circle type firms is already slimmer than some candidates.
Original post by MidgetFever

I think he's earned the right to be smug because he genuinely knows what he's talking about. :laugh:

I know a great many people who "know what they are talking about" and are in a very good position to give advice and do so without the silly attitude. It's no big deal of course and it is common to find self appointed authority figures who are usually propped up by a handful of cheerleaders on little corners of the internet like this.
Original post by dyingstudent101
He knows what he's on about though

His advice is great if you want to believe that only those who attend a top Russell Group Uni will have a successful legal career. Those of us who have already qualified know differently of course :smile:
Not really but feel free to interpret the facts however it suits you best :smile: A fairly standard tactic in any well cultivated echo chamber :rofl:
His advice is great if you want to believe that only those who attend a top Russell Group Uni will have a successful legal career. Those of us who have already qualified know differently of course :smile:

I’m slightly confused as to what annoyed you though. His comment about growing up was towards me, and I really didn’t care about it. I wasn’t offended.

Latest

Trending

Trending