The Student Room Group

regret my decision of living away from home

Scroll to see replies

[quote=Laura :D [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];85481634]Don’t feel bad about living at home, I live at home and drive 40/45 miles ( one way! ) to uni as I didn’t like living alone and away from all my home comforts.
yh I want to pass my driving test so hopefully can be the same as u too :smile: & honestly living out has made me value home a lot more
Good luck passing your driving test! And yes it’s funny what you appreciate after living away - like the little things such as having a dishwasher and washing machine. You still can become a fully independent adult whilst living at home - I still have to wash up and do daily chores - it’s just easier having family support. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
So it's been 2 weeks since I started uni & living out in student halls. After living on my own, I've realised I'm a home girl & I'm just not ready to live away from my family. I like city life in the sense it's busy & there's always so much to see & do but actually living away from home is something I thought I could do but I've realised I can't. After first year, I'm thinking to transfer to a uni closer to home & use the train everyday(or whenever I have uni as this year I only have 3 days so might be the same next year). I love going out but I've realised I like it better knowing I can always come back home. Will I look like a wuss if I transfer closer to home or will anyone say anything? I know if I didn't live away I would've regretted too as I never would've got the student experience of living out so In that sense I'm glad as I'm getting to experience it for the next 8 months but ultimately I don't think it's for me :frown:

Hi, listen the first month is always a bit hard but once you find the right people to keep you company everything falls into place. Now Im at that stage where after maybe a month away from home i get a homesick feeling, but 2 weeks at home and i get a college sick feeling or whatever that should be called😂. Plus the independence is really good since you understand how to manage yourself and live independently. Ofcource im from India so my story and situation is quite different, but believe me just the right people will make it feel like home.
[quote=Laura :D [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];85489048]Good luck passing your driving test! And yes it’s funny what you appreciate after living away - like the little things such as having a dishwasher and washing machine. You still can become a fully independent adult whilst living at home - I still have to wash up and do daily chores - it’s just easier having family support. :smile:
Thanksss & at home I really don't do much but I will start too lol
Original post by Afthab Aamir
Hi, listen the first month is always a bit hard but once you find the right people to keep you company everything falls into place. Now Im at that stage where after maybe a month away from home i get a homesick feeling, but 2 weeks at home and i get a college sick feeling or whatever that should be called😂. Plus the independence is really good since you understand how to manage yourself and live independently. Ofcource im from India so my story and situation is quite different, but believe me just the right people will make it feel like home.

Don't get me wrong I have made some friends but I'd rather meet up with them whilst traveling as opposed to me living there & r u an international student?
Don't get me wrong I have made some friends but I'd rather meet up with them whilst traveling as opposed to me living there & r u an international student?

No actually im studying in India currently, but planning on doing my Masters at Lancaster University. Yah and i get ur answer, but honestly for me the hostel life ive got can never be traded for
No actually im studying in India currently, but planning on doing my Masters at Lancaster University. Yah and i get ur answer, but honestly for me the hostel life ive got can never be traded for

Oooh nice & OMGG HOSTEL that's what my parents call it too :P first time I've heard someone else say it tbh
Reply 27
yh I want to pass my driving test so hopefully can be the same as u too :smile: & honestly living out has made me value home a lot more

Go back home until you are really ready to leave.
Original post by mgi
Go back home until you are really ready to leave.

i think imma suck it up for 8 months cos I wanna experience & explore the city so at least I know ive given student life more of a chance before I decide to transfer next year. I finish in May so not too bad I guess.
Reply 29
i think imma suck it up for 8 months cos I wanna experience & explore the city so at least I know ive given student life more of a chance before I decide to transfer next year. I finish in May so not too bad I guess.

and you may change your mind. It is not easy to transition into being a fully fledged adult with responsibility!
Original post by mgi
and you may change your mind. It is not easy to transition into being a fully fledged adult with responsibility!

i dont think i will
Oooh nice & OMGG HOSTEL that's what my parents call it too :P first time I've heard someone else say it tbh

Haha lol, seriously?? So what is it called over there??

Also, sorry for the late reply, really not active here at all😅

It’s called accommodation but I’m assuming ur South Indian init? That’s probs why haha over here we call it student accommodation or just accommodation x
Also, sorry for the late reply, really not active here at all😅

haha no worries I did forget about this thread haha
It’s called accommodation but I’m assuming ur South Indian init? That’s probs why haha over here we call it student accommodation or just accommodation x

Ohh alright, btw how did u get Im South Indian from that haha
This is a normal way to feel after the two week mark. You're used to your family being there, and them always helping you, and this is a big change. It's an important but difficult milestone in life learning how to live independently and you ARE ready for it - even if you don't feel like you are. It'd feel the same way whether you do it now (at presumably 18) or if you do it five or ten years from now. Experiencing it and learning these skills now is a good thing, and once you've stuck it out for a few months it will feel a lot better.
Ohh alright, btw how did u get Im South Indian from that haha

Cos u say hostel that’s a South Indian thing to say
Original post by sinfonietta
This is a normal way to feel after the two week mark. You're used to your family being there, and them always helping you, and this is a big change. It's an important but difficult milestone in life learning how to live independently and you ARE ready for it - even if you don't feel like you are. It'd feel the same way whether you do it now (at presumably 18) or if you do it five or ten years from now. Experiencing it and learning these skills now is a good thing, and once you've stuck it out for a few months it will feel a lot better.

I don’t think so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending