The Student Room Group

Year 11 GYG (2019-2020)

Hi guys, this is my first GYG blog and I know this year is going to be a pretty busy year and I thought why not keep track of it as this is the year I do my GCSE mocks starting on November 25th and my actual GCSEs that I will be sitting in 2020. For my mocks I intend to reach or preferably exceed my target grades as our school gives our mock results on Parent's Evening (I know!) and I realise I have less than two months until they actually start. So that being said, I will be posting about school, general feelings and updates on my revision. I think I will be posting my revision resources like mindmaps on here, that way I will know I have been revising for these mocks and it will prevent cramming for the exam. For my A levels I intend to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics which are definite as I would love to do at Maths degree and complete a PhD in Maths at somewhere like Oxbridge as Maths is my favourite subject. Obviously, it is extremely important for me to achieve a 9 in this GCSE mock in November but in general I would like to do really well in mocks.Not sure yet if I want to do a fourth A level, depends on how I do in my mocks. So just a final thank you in advance for anyone who will be reading my posts on this GYG thread. :smile:
Target grades for each subject:
(Edexcel) Maths-Grade 9
( AQA) Biology-Grade 8/9
(AQA) Chemistry-Grade 8/9
(AQA) Physics- Grade 8/9
(AQA) Computer Science- Grade 8/9
(AQA) Business- Grade 8/9
(OCR B) Geography - Grade 8/9
(AQA) French-Grade 8
(AQA) English Literature - Grade 7/8
(AQA) English Language- Grade 7/8
(edited 4 years ago)
hey, good luck for this year! i'm doing maths & further maths for my a levels too (i just started yr12), so if you need any advice about anything, just ask! :smile:
we have a few gcses in common - maths, bio, chem, physics, computer science, english lit, and english lang. so if you want any advice on those subjects throughout the year ill try my best to help! hope you get all the grades you want at mocks, it's great that you're prepared and motivated already!:tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by casabonita
hey, good luck for this year! i'm doing maths & further maths for my a levels too (i just started yr12), so if you need any advice about anything, just ask! :smile:
we have a few gcses in common - maths, bio, chem, physics, computer science, english lit, and english lang. so if you want any advice on those subjects throughout the year ill try my best to help! hope you get all the grades you want at mocks, it's great that you're prepared and motivated already!:tongue:

Aw thank you so much! It's great that you are doing those subjects, I wish you the best in your A level journey. At least I know in a years time I will only be doing 3 or 4 subjects so I can focus on what I enjoy more.
Reply 3
Here are my revision mindmaps for English Literature: An Inspector Calls
IMG_0505.JPGIMG_0508.JPG
Here is also an attachment of the mindmaps
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey guys, decided to post a picture of the Maths I did the other day
IMG_0520.jpg
Reply 5
Here is some more English Literature mindmaps
IMG_0533.JPGIMG_0534.JPG
Also, here are the attachments
Reply 6
Now I can thankfully do some Maths :smile:
Original post by Nithumigah
Hi guys, this is my first GYG blog and I know this year is going to be a pretty busy year and I thought why not keep track of it as this is the year I do my GCSE mocks starting on November 25th and my actual GCSEs that I will be sitting in 2020. For my mocks I intend to reach or preferably exceed my target grades as our school gives our mock results on Parent's Evening (I know!) and I realise I have less than two months until they actually start. So that being said, I will be posting about school, general feelings and updates on my revision. I think I will be posting my revision resources like mindmaps on here, that way I will know I have been revising for these mocks and it will prevent cramming for the exam. For my A levels I intend to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics which are definite as I would love to do at Maths degree and complete a PhD in Maths at somewhere like Oxbridge as Maths is my favourite subject. Obviously, it is extremely important for me to achieve a 9 in this GCSE mock in November but in general I would like to do really well in mocks.Not sure yet if I want to do a fourth A level, depends on how I do in my mocks. So just a final thank you in advance for anyone who will be reading my posts on this GYG thread. :smile:
Target grades for each subject:
(Edexcel) Maths-Grade 9
( AQA) Biology-Grade 8/9
(AQA) Chemistry-Grade 8/9
(AQA) Physics- Grade 8/9
(AQA) Computer Science- Grade 8/9
(AQA) Business- Grade 8/9
(OCR B) Geography - Grade 8/9
(AQA) French-Grade 8
(AQA) English Literature - Grade 7/8
(AQA) English Language- Grade 7/8

Good luck
Nice mind maps for Inspector Calls.
What other texts are you doing for English Literature.
Reply 9
Original post by Satyr
Nice mind maps for Inspector Calls.
What other texts are you doing for English Literature.

I am also doing A Christmas Carol and Macbeth :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you, I am also doing A Christmas Carol and Macbeth
Thank you, I am also doing A Christmas Carol and Macbeth

I’m doing macbeth, AIC, and Dr Jekyll and Hyde. Any tips that you got because I have noooo idea how to get top grades or just how to do revision in general other than mind maps
Reply 12
Original post by Isabelpayne200
I’m doing macbeth, AIC, and Dr Jekyll and Hyde. Any tips that you got because I have noooo idea how to get top grades or just how to do revision in general other than mind maps

Thanks for your post , I think for English I usually use Mr Bruff as an information source as he explains really great concepts and top mark essays. Then it is just a case of practice, there are loads of past papers online and you can just do the section that you have done in class as this improves your style of writing. Good luck for Year 11, I know you will do amazing :smile:
Thanks for your post , I think for English I usually use Mr Bruff as an information source as he explains really great concepts and top mark essays. Then it is just a case of practice, there are loads of past papers online and you can just do the section that you have done in class as this improves your style of writing. Good luck for Year 11, I know you will do amazing :smile:

Thank you☺️ I like Mr Bruff, mr salles gives brilliant grade 9 analysis but just a case of not getting confused🥴 Ive given practice papers to my teacher, it’s just having no clue on what to do when I get the mark back🤦🏼*♀️ Good luck with year 11 too! We are all in the same boat I suppose
I am also doing A Christmas Carol and Macbeth :smile:

Same, but instead of Inspector Calls I'm doing Animal Farm.
Reply 15
Original post by SlightlySummer
Hey keep me tagged please :smile: I like how you're including pictures
For maths, the sciences, French and English we're doing the same boards :biggrin:

I will and that's great that we are doing the same exam boards
@SlightlySummer
Reply 16
IMG_2887.JPG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending