The Student Room Group

Bristol A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjhanrah
If you go on the course page on Bristol's website, it says that for 2019 entry, applicants with a UCAT score of 2730 or above were invited to interview.

That was LAST YEAR.

Please read the posts above about why this doesn't predict the threshold for THIS year.
Original post by returnmigrant
That was LAST YEAR.

Please read the posts above about why this doesn't predict the threshold for THIS year.

Very true. Also not much should be read into the quoted number that would have been the cut point the year before as process would be different. It may to some extent be useful however as personally I wouldn’t have risked it at 630 for example as it can be said Bristol is unlikely to be short of applicants even though the cutoff will inevitably vary as it may go up if more people with high scores apply or down if people are too afraid to based on what happened making it tough to call unless you have a very extreme score either way
Original post by returnmigrant
Any offer would include that GCSE grade as an extra condition. If you don't meet it, you'll get rejected.
It really is that simple!

Really doesn't answer the question.
Here is a breakdown.
One of UoB minimum requirements = 4 (English Lang)
Applicant has achieved 4 (English Lang)
Applicant meets the minimum requirement
Applicant decides to retake (English Lang) to get a higher score (even though they've achieved the minimum grade already)
Applicant decides later, they no longer wish to sit the retake
Applicants UCAS form states applicant has not achieved the minimum requirement in the NEW RETAKEN GRADE.
Will the university use the original grade (which meets the requirement) and potentially make an offer OR
Will the university use the new (retake) grade and reject the applicant for not meeting minimum requirements.
Reply 63
Original post by TSU - Mod
Really doesn't answer the question.
Here is a breakdown.
One of UoB minimum requirements = 4 (English Lang)
Applicant has achieved 4 (English Lang)
Applicant meets the minimum requirement
Applicant decides to retake (English Lang) to get a higher score (even though they've achieved the minimum grade already)
Applicant decides later, they no longer wish to sit the retake
Applicants UCAS form states applicant has not achieved the minimum requirement in the NEW RETAKEN GRADE.
Will the university use the original grade (which meets the requirement) and potentially make an offer OR
Will the university use the new (retake) grade and reject the applicant for not meeting minimum requirements.

If you drop a subject you have down as a pending grade on your UCAS form, you are, in theory, expected to get permission to do so from any uni you have applied to, as otherwise they are basing any potential offer on inaccurate info.
In theory, many med schools won't care if you have met minimum offer but always as well to keep them informed
Original post by GANFYD
If you drop a subject you have down as a pending grade on your UCAS form, you are, in theory, expected to get permission to do so from any uni you have applied to, as otherwise they are basing any potential offer on inaccurate info.
In theory, many med schools won't care if you have met minimum offer but always as well to keep them informed

Is it even wise to do this then? Seems like the Uni might freak out. Only 1 of my 5 choices requires a higher language component (7+), I was planning to sign up for a retake and if I didn't get an offer from this uni, in particular, I'd just forget about it.
Reply 65
Original post by TSU - Mod
Is it even wise to do this then? Seems like the Uni might freak out. Only 1 of my 5 choices requires a higher language component (7+), I was planning to sign up for a retake and if I didn't get an offer from this uni, in particular, I'd just forget about it.

I have never known them freak out, or raise any objection, if you meet their requirements. You will be rejected from the choice that needs a 7 if you apply without it, so it is up to you
If you decide to drop any qualification you are taking - a GCSE resit, a 4th A level, an EPQ etc etc - you just tell both UCAS and all the relevant Unis. If these qualifications are not part of any offer it will not matter.

Its quite common for applicants to drop unnecessary qualifications at a later stage (ie. once they have got their offers) - Universities will not 'freak out'....
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I was just scared the Uni might use my new grade instead of old in the even I got a lower grade the second time around or, decided not to take it.
I emailed the university a while ago and they said that the cut-off last year was a 2730? 2730 happens to me my exact UCAT score this year; is it too risky to apply? I am an international by the way (they said intls and locals have the same cut-off)
Reply 69
Original post by desperateintl
I emailed the university a while ago and they said that the cut-off last year was a 2730? 2730 happens to me my exact UCAT score this year; is it too risky to apply? I am an international by the way (they said intls and locals have the same cut-off)

Wait to see tmz if grade boundaries go up or down with respect to last year.
Anyone know how many places there are for A100 at Bristol?
Reply 71
Original post by desperateintl

Is that for a standard applicant? Not contextual or international? As there were people with higher scores than this rejected last year according to the thread on here
Original post by Christbelle
Anyone know how many places there are for A100 at Bristol?

I think the 2019 web page said 257 - may have increased don’t know. Emailed asking how many offers they have last year and they said they didn’t know?
Original post by GANFYD
Is that for a standard applicant? Not contextual or international? As there were people with higher scores than this rejected last year according to the thread on here

This is what they said: “the score that would have been enough to be invited to interview in 2018/19 was 2730” They also said that they use the same score for home and international applicants... I get what you mean though, it is quite confusing.
I got a 2680 in UCAT but looking at more BMAT unis.

Bristol - is their UCAT contextual or just grades? Im predicted 4 A*s and got 5 9s 2 8s 2 A*s and 1 A

Also i dont have lots of work experience due to having caring commitments for sister - do they take this in to account?

thanks
Original post by Ed_Harris111
I got a 2680 in UCAT but looking at more BMAT unis.

Bristol - is their UCAT contextual or just grades? Im predicted 4 A*s and got 5 9s 2 8s 2 A*s and 1 A

Also i dont have lots of work experience due to having caring commitments for sister - do they take this in to account?

thanks

Commitments possibly accounted for . UCAT is not contextually looked at as it doesn’t tend to be impacted by socioeconomic factors like grades etc
Ah okay, I only started revising for it few days before since I was on the fence whether to take a year out. Also had big disruptions in the exam but do not know how to report these? Do you think my ucat is strong enough?
Applied and got my track login yesterday- got all my other emails from other unis confirming my application but not from Bristol.

Anyone got their email and how long after sending it all off (getting a track login etc)?
Original post by HxshBrxwn
Applied and got my track login yesterday- got all my other emails from other unis confirming my application but not from Bristol.

Anyone got their email and how long after sending it all off (getting a track login etc)?

I got my first acknowledgement email from them the day after I applied
Original post by HxshBrxwn

Don’t worry at least your college have sent applications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending