The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone wanna be study buddies and help each other,etc? Also any more taking tips and suggestions. And how to not procrastinate and ease anxiety and insomnia
Wow, we are only on page 2.
ive just started the gcse courses for all 3 sciences-and really want to be prepared for yr 11
do you think I should get revsion guides and which ones(doing aqa triple science)
thanks
Original post by realistpotato
Wow, we are only on page 2.

yeah...definitely NOT doing as well as the year 11 thread lol :tongue:
Hey,
Just started Year 9. Quite a lot of surprises actually.
I’m in Set 1 out of 7 for maths and I don’t even know why (I was in the bottom set last year.):confused: I think I just failed both of the unit tests we have had.:s-smilie:
All my friends in maths have older siblings with GCSE revision guides and stuff but I’m the older kid so I don’t really have anything. But we haven’t really started the GCSE course yet. Do I need to buy something? Maybe that’s why I’m struggling with the unit tests and stuff?

Also we started our GCSE course on triple science ( OCR Gateway 9-1 I think). Am I supposed to be studying really hard now that we’ve actually started the course? Do I need to buy revision guides and workbooks and answer sheets and things? There are so many brands that I’m just so lost. And if I search for any recommendations, I get stuff from 2010. I really don’t know. Help.:eek:

I feel like I’m not studying hard enough or something. I know I’ve down the 11+ but aren’t GCSE’s really important?

Please send some advice. Thanks.:h:
Original post by summerberry19
Hey,
I’m in Set 1 out of 7 for maths and I don’t even know why (I was in the bottom set last year.):confused: I think I just failed both of the unit tests we have had.:s-smilie:
All my friends in maths have older siblings with GCSE revision guides and stuff but I’m the older kid so I don’t really have anything. But we haven’t really started the GCSE course yet. Do I need to buy something? Maybe that’s why I’m struggling with the unit tests and stuff?

Also we started our GCSE course on triple science ( OCR Gateway 9-1 I think). Am I supposed to be studying really hard now that we’ve actually started the course? Do I need to buy revision guides and workbooks and answer sheets and things? There are so many brands that I’m just so lost. And if I search for any recommendations, I get stuff from 2010. I really don’t know. Help.:eek:

I feel like I’m not studying hard enough or something. I know I’ve down the 11+ but aren’t GCSE’s really important?

I don't think I'm gonna help but I'm in yr 9 as well and all I do is make sure to take notes in lessons so I can revise later, I usually just search things up on Google so I doubt you will really need to buy revision guides and books unless you're really struggling.:^_^: Just make sure to keep revising the stuff you learn very often so you'll remember it :h: I hope I could be useful even though I probably wasn't lol
Original post by RedandGrey
I don't think I'm gonna help but I'm in yr 9 as well and all I do is make sure to take notes in lessons so I can revise later, I usually just search things up on Google so I doubt you will really need to buy revision guides and books unless you're really struggling.:^_^: Just make sure to keep revising the stuff you learn very often so you'll remember it :h: I hope I could be useful even though I probably wasn't lol

Okay! Thanks for the advice....:h:
Hey,

Hi,
Imo, I think that it is really good to be prepared for the challenges that you'll have to overcome in the next 2 years. As you're doing the GCSE course for science, you could maybe start looking at revision guides to help with exam q's, homeworks and just as a reference to what you have learnt in class. I recommend CGP: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/science/biology/brr45-grade-9-1-gcse-biology-ocr-gateway-revisi
You can buy them for all 3 sciences, and there are workbooks to correspond with the revision guides.
As for maths, I recommend this for year 9: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/ks3/maths/m3nn31-ks3-maths-textbook-3
However. as you've not started the GCSE course yet, only buy revision books/guides if you're REALLY struggling, as they normally cover the foundation for the GCSE in year 9
Hope this helps xx
Original post by anonymous7861
Hi,
Imo, I think that it is really good to be prepared for the challenges that you'll have to overcome in the next 2 years. As you're doing the GCSE course for science, you could maybe start looking at revision guides to help with exam q's, homeworks and just as a reference to what you have learnt in class. I recommend CGP: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/science/biology/brr45-grade-9-1-gcse-biology-ocr-gateway-revisi
You can buy them for all 3 sciences, and there are workbooks to correspond with the revision guides.
As for maths, I recommend this for year 9: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/ks3/maths/m3nn31-ks3-maths-textbook-3
However. as you've not started the GCSE course yet, only buy revision books/guides if you're REALLY struggling, as they normally cover the foundation for the GCSE in year 9
Hope this helps xx

Hey,

these are really good gcse maths revision books though, but that will be REALLY hard if you're struggling with the year 9 work: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/maths/mhn43-maths-for-gcse-and-igcse%C2%AE-textbook,-higher?c=52985573
https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edexcel-Mathematics-Higher-Revision/dp/1447988094 -for edexcel
they're also available for foundation...
these are really good gcse maths revision books though, but that will be REALLY hard if you're struggling with the year 9 work: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/maths/mhn43-maths-for-gcse-and-igcse%C2%AE-textbook,-higher?c=52985573
https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edexcel-Mathematics-Higher-Revision/dp/1447988094 -for edexcel
they're also available for foundation...

Thank you so much.... I’ll have a look at the science ones....I’m not sure I need the maths ones yet....I’ll see. Thank you again!
Thank you so much.... I’ll have a look at the science ones....I’m not sure I need the maths ones yet....I’ll see. Thank you again!

It’s okay. Xx
HiI've been in year 9 for a month and it's definitely not what I expected.My options are Sport science Triple ScienceComputer scienceFrench (which I really regret picking as I'm awful)GraphicsGeographyI'm really enjoying all these subjects except FRENCH.I've never enjoyed French in primary school and KS3 and I still have no idea what possessed me to pick that subject. It's painfully boring! Sadly, I don't think I can change it because I picked it as EBACC. (picking options of English maths, science and a languages subject). Whenever we have tests or quiz's or mini assessments, I'm usually achieving lowish/average scores. I dread the subject and I find it extremely boring. I bet I'm going to do foundation on it. We do get a lot of homework in French and as someone who does their homework a days before it's due, I find it concerning that I'm always doing my French homework the night before or even on the day! I'm thoroughly enjoying all my other subjects though. :smile: Unfortunately, I have to be in one of the naughtiest math classes in the year. We're constantly having supplies and I haven't learn anything since the first few lessons! Does anyone have any French revision tips ? I really want to improve my scores but most of all learn to enjoy the subject. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Funnyleaves
HiI've been in year 9 for a month and it's definitely not what I expected.My options are Sport science Triple ScienceComputer scienceFrench (which I really regret picking as I'm awful)GraphicsGeographyI'm really enjoying all these subjects except FRENCH.I've never enjoyed French in primary school and KS3 and I still have no idea what possessed me to pick that subject. It's painfully boring! Sadly, I don't think I can change it because I picked it as EBACC. (picking options of English maths, science and a languages subject). Whenever we have tests or quiz's or mini assessments, I'm usually achieving lowish/average scores. I dread the subject and I find it extremely boring. I bet I'm going to do foundation on it. We do get a lot of homework in French and as someone who does their homework a days before it's due, I find it concerning that I'm always doing my French homework the night before or even on the day! I'm thoroughly enjoying all my other subjects though. :smile: Unfortunately, I have to be in one of the naughtiest math classes in the year. We're constantly having supplies and I haven't learn anything since the first few lessons! Does anyone have any French revision tips ? I really want to improve my scores but most of all learn to enjoy the subject. Thanks :smile:

this is what I use for my GCSE langauges (french and german aqa):
Memrise
Quizlet
Languages Online
Conjugeumos
Seneca
also, you should try and make flashcards/revision materials as you go along as it can be REALLY annoying having to make them two months before ur exams
try your best to not have to drop your language as many unis respect students who have MFL GCSEs
this is what I use for my GCSE langauges (french and german aqa):
Memrise
Quizlet
Languages Online
Conjugeumos
Seneca
also, you should try and make flashcards/revision materials as you go along as it can be REALLY annoying having to make them two months before ur exams
try your best to not have to drop your language as many unis respect students who have MFL GCSEs

Thanks you!!! I suppose all the irritatingly hard work will be worth it in the end.
Thanks you!!! I suppose all the irritatingly hard work will be worth it in the end.

It's okay
Hi there!
I'm in year 9 and joined TSR halfway through October. Honestly it has been one of the best choices ever.
In year 8 I picked my GCSE options and as well as Maths,English and Combined science, I am doing Media (Eduqas),Spanish (AQA) and History (Eduqas) as well as Health and Fitness (level 1/2).
So far it's been ok, though the first week's were full of teachers saying "you must work hard now because everything that you are doing now WILL come up in the real exam"
This made me overwhelmed because realistically how can you 100% remember something over 2 years?
Also out of all the sciences chemistry is the one that I find the hardest. I just am confused between atomic configuration and the ionic bonds and everything. My first go to website is BBC Bitesize and then I go onto Get Revising to see if there are any resources ( by the way I have made a document on electrolysis there, if you want to check it out here it is https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/efficiency-4)
Am I doing the right thing by taking notes down if I don't know a topic well and then when I do get it, make flashcards?

Supplies are the WORST!
Then again there are some nice ones
Original post by realistpotato
Chose my GCSE in year 8.
Starting my GCSE in year 9.

Same here

Latest