The Student Room Group

Should referendum results be honoured?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Burton Bridge
The referendum was not legally binding. The European Union Referendum Act 2015 didn’t say anything about implementing the result of the vote. It just provided that there should be one,

So you admit that no government is under any obligation to implement the referendum result (manifesto pledges are similarly not legally binding).
Combined with the fact that MPs are not obliged to vote the way any particular section of their constituency prefers, why are you making such a fuss about parliament not implementing the referendum result?

however this is where you seized to be correct.

"Ceased".
Do you read much? Serious question.

In other countries, referendums are often legally binding

Love the irony of a Brexiteer claiming we should be more like other countries!

So, purely as a matter of law, neither the government nor Parliament has to do anything about the referendum.

Correct.

However it was widely accepted that the vote would be politically binding on future Westminster Parliaments. Nonsense. Some people may have wanted it to be binding, but that is something entirely different.
No government is obliged to enact the policy of previous governments.
Parliament is sovereign (remember). It is not constrained in any way in its duties except by the law, and as you pointed out the law states that the referendum does not have to be implemented. It certainly is not constrained by the expectations of some people.
Reply 41
Here lies the issue, the extremist ends of the argument dont seem on the whole to be interestested in what's best for the country. Unfortunately they are just interested in getting their own way, this could bring the counties democracy down if we dont get a grip soon.

Indeed. People insisting that any final decision of major import must go through the democratic process are bringing down democracy.
"If a democracy cannot change its mind, it is no longer a democracy" - Davis Davies
"We should have a second referendum, after the negotiations" - Mogg
"F*ck business" - Boris
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
Let me ask you this question.

In 2004 Turkish Northern Cyprus voted in a Referendum for re-unification with the Greek south.

Should that Referendum result be honoured?

There is only one problem. The Greek Cypriots also voted in a Referendum not to have them back.

The similarities will Brexit are these. Most Brexit voters voted for Brexit on the basis of terms that either aren't available from Brussels or which a sufficient number of British Brexiteers won't agree to, so that there is no overall majority for those terms. How do you deliver a Brexit tha isn't available and why do you presume that people who voted for an unavailable Brexit would back an available one?

Sorry nulli I have to completely disagree, I'll explain why.

The EU has been quite accommodating to the UK government regarding brexit, they have given us more or less everything we have asked for. The problem is not that some brexits are unavailable or some are available. In any case how to leave is up to parliamentarians to sort out how we leave and parliamentarians have chosen to block all forms of brexit. That's the problem not the EU.
Original post by QE2
So you admit that no government is under any obligation to implement the referendum result (manifesto pledges are similarly not legally binding).
Combined with the fact that MPs are not obliged to vote the way any particular section of their constituency prefers, why are you making such a fuss about parliament not implementing the referendum result?

"Ceased".
Do you read much? Serious question.

Love the irony of a Brexiteer claiming we should be more like other countries!

Correct.

Struggling to find any realistic points to reply too in that word salad post. You are again spilting my words down again to make false points and defeat points I'm not even making, very boring and pointless.

Parliament is sovereign seems to be a buzz phrase with remainers at present, has one of you're poltical idols said it recently? Parliament should be sovereign but it currently is bound in some cases by the superiority of EU law, so it's not as sovereign as it should be.

The referendum result was not legally binding; however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be politically binding on future Westminster Parliaments.Meet reality

https://youtu.be/gUsKWsPcRXE
Original post by QE2
Indeed. People insisting that any final decision of major import must go through the democratic process are bringing down democracy.
"If a democracy cannot change its mind, it is no longer a democracy" - Davis Davies
"We should have a second referendum, after the negotiations" - Mogg
"F*ck business" - Boris

Removing context to make incorrect points is not big or clever. All you do is make incorrect points.
Original post by HiViz9
You should not tell others how to think and speak. You have no right. You dont seem to answer the salient points. Fascists tell people how to think and speak.

Oh I have, when you start shouting facist at everyone you disagree with you over use the word. In the end we will need a different name for actual fascists if we carry on with this social decay and lack of tolerance.
Reply 46
Struggling to find any realistic points to reply too in that word salad post. You are again spilting my words down again to make false points and defeat points I'm not even making, very boring and pointless.

That's because of your poor comprehension skills.

Parliament is sovereign seems to be a buzz phrase with remainers at present, has one of you're poltical idols said it recently?

Are you high? It was a cornerstone of the Leave campaign! I guess you missed it as you never got past the chapter on immigration.
The reason that Remainers are bringing it up is because of the delicious irony of Leavers complaining when parliament exercises its sovereignty. Probably a bit complicated for you to grasp.

Parliament should be sovereign but it currently is bound in some cases by the superiority of EU law, so it's not as sovereign as it should be.

Which particular laws that have been imposed on the UK by the EU do you object to?

The referendum result was not legally binding; however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be politically binding on future Westminster Parliaments.Meet reality
https://youtu.be/gUsKWsPcRXE

Okaay...
1. Could you give me the time code for the point where he says that the referendum result will be binding on future parliaments.
2. That is just a political PR speech, what Cameron said in it does not define "widely accepted". Or if it does, you therefore acknowledge that Remaining in the EU is "widely accepted" as "unambiguously in the national interest". (That's one of the problems of an "appeal to authority", you can't then cherry pick what that authority is authoritative on).
3. Even if Cameron explicitly stated that the result would be politically binding on future parliaments, everyone with the slightest understanding of how our system works would have laughed and ignored it, because it would have been an utterly meaningless promise - which is probably why he never made it.
Original post by QE2
That's because of your poor comprehension skills.

Are you high? It was a cornerstone of the Leave campaign! I guess you missed it as you never got past the chapter on immigration.
The reason that Remainers are bringing it up is because of the delicious irony of Leavers complaining when parliament exercises its sovereignty. Probably a bit complicated for you to grasp.

Which particular laws that have been imposed on the UK by the EU do you object to?

Okaay...
1. Could you give me the time code for the point where he says that the referendum result will be binding on future parliaments.
2. That is just a political PR speech, what Cameron said in it does not define "widely accepted". Or if it does, you therefore acknowledge that Remaining in the EU is "widely accepted" as "unambiguously in the national interest". (That's one of the problems of an "appeal to authority", you can't then cherry pick what that authority is authoritative on).
3. Even if Cameron explicitly stated that the result would be politically binding on future parliaments, everyone with the slightest understanding of how our system works would have laughed and ignored it, because it would have been an utterly meaningless promise - which is probably why he never made it.

Now the name call, put downs and insults start, very predictable all we need now are the claims of self brilliance and superior intelligence.

Just watch the video and reply, the fact you cannot reply to points without wildly distorting the text of you're opponent, lying picking up spelling errors or engaging in namecall and belittlement shows how utterly deluded you are.

Combine a lack of self-awareness with low cognitive ability and you overestimate your own intelligence and competence. You say it's the people who generally idoits I say self evaluation may be key to improving you're future life.
Reply 48
Oh I have, when you start shouting facist at everyone you disagree with you over use the word. In the end we will need a different name for actual fascists if we carry on with this social decay and lack of tolerance.

I dont be told how to speak or think or what words I can use. Never have and never will. It is not for others to tell me how to think. I dont care if they are offended, not one bit.
Original post by QE2
Either is correct English, wherever you are. You weren't being pedantic, you were just being wrong.

No the correct spelling in English (UK) is spelt, in the US it's spelled.
https://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/spelled_spelt.htm

It has become more used over here because of the Americanisation of our culture, much like the term can I get when, for example, ordering a drink which is also incorrect as the answer should be no you can't get it but I will for you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 50
It is extremely rude to correct how a person speaks. It is shallow.
Original post by HiViz9
So you define the purpose of the referendum and what would happen if the REMAINERS won.? Are you saying an IN-OUT referendum can not rely upon the people asked to vote on it? I bet you a million pounds the remainers would be very happy with a vote for remain in EU.
I did not see a question on the voting paper saying.... "you want this referendum to be indecisive" i/e no point in having it?

No. We're going to leave. But a bit of respect and acceptance on all sides would go a long way. A lot of people are going to lose a lot post Brexit. The ideaology of hard Brexiteers sees this collateral damage as just one of those things and those who openly object to that loss are condemned as remoaners.
Original post by HiViz9
It is extremely rude to correct how a person speaks. It is shallow.

You are missing the point. Sometimes acting a self absorbed know all comes back to bite a person in the bum.

I dont believe @ColinDent actually gives a flying flamingo how words are spelt, however when someone is acting so condescending, pedantic and insulting, a taste of own medication is warranted.
Reply 53
Original post by ByEeek
No. We're going to leave. But a bit of respect and acceptance on all sides would go a long way. A lot of people are going to lose a lot post Brexit. The ideaology of hard Brexiteers sees this collateral damage as just one of those things and those who openly object to that loss are condemned as remoaners.

The first line of respect is to accept the referendum result. A "remoaner" has a specific meaning. Its a word with meaning. They are a disgrace. They are losers who can not accept democracy. If you call "respect" giving in and agreeing all the time in case two-faced duplicitous liars are offended, you wont get it from me. Nothing personal, I see your point I just do not agree.
Original post by QE2
Love that you made a point of repping someone that was wrong. Is Colin your girlfriend?

He's not wrong :rofl:

Nice insults again, if you was a leaver you would of been banned by now
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
Dont over use facist and racist, what you are doing is trivialising real prejudice

MAybe so but its now a fact of life, just as anti-semite etc. are used as rhetorical cudgels. However, in this case and given the case examples i used i feel the terms are accurate.
Reply 56
Original post by QE2
ikr
Why do Brexitists think that "liberal left" is a pejorative? I'd have it on a tattoo.

PRSOM
Original post by QE2
Love that you made a point of repping someone that was wrong. Is Colin your girlfriend?

Hey... they usually both gang up on me! I'm feeling jealous. Guess they just got fed up losing every time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HiViz9
The first line of respect is to accept the referendum result. A "remoaner" has a specific meaning. Its a word with meaning. They are a disgrace. They are losers who can not accept democracy. If you call "respect" giving in and agreeing all the time in case two-faced duplicitous liars are offended, you wont get it from me. Nothing personal, I see your point I just do not agree.

Try showing a football supporter his appalling team stats after an unexpected win... his response would be less than reasonable. 25% of the electorate are still in terrace mentality and it is being fuelled by those who should know better. Cheap insults such as losers, remoaners and surrender bill belong in a terrace chant, not in Parliament.
(edited 4 years ago)
Here lies the issue, the extremist ends of the argument dont seem on the whole to be interestested in what's best for the country. Unfortunately they are just interested in getting their own way, this could bring the counties democracy down if we dont get a grip soon.

I agree... the ERG need reminding who started this awful mess in the first place. Instead we let 30 or so right wing extremists call the shots in an assembly of over 600. Democracy is down already!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending