The Student Room Group

Going into Psychiatry

The subject I have chose are psychology,R.E and history. I was wondering if I could go to do medicine after doing a psychology degree. I haven't chose any science subjects and my science grades were not the best for my GCSE but is it possible to go on to medicine after a psychology degree? Thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course!
Original post by Skinnersrat
The subject I have chose are psychology,R.E and history. I was wondering if I could go to do medicine after doing a psychology degree. I haven't chose any science subjects and my science grades were not the best for my GCSE but is it possible to go on to medicine after a psychology degree? Thanks for your help!

Yes, it is possible to do medicine after any degree. Most medical schools will still insist that you have appropriate science A-levels (at least Chemistry or Biology) before they will consider you.

Check the graduate entry requirements carefully on the individual med school web sites.
Reply 3
Original post by Lostx
Of course!

So just to confirm the fact that I'm not doing science for any of my A levels or that my science GCSE grades are not the best won't affect me going into medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by 学生の父
Yes, it is possible to do medicine after any degree. Most medical schools will still insist that you have appropriate science A-levels (at least Chemistry or Biology) before they will consider you.

Check the graduate entry requirements carefully on the individual med school web sites.

Thanks, when choosing my A levels I was more interested in clinical psychology but medicine has fascinated me.
So just to confirm the fact that I'm not doing science for any of my A levels or that my science GCSE grades are not the best won't affect me going into medicine.

Where would you consider studying? Knowing that would help advise you on the exact requirements.
Reply 6
I would retake it but i'm in my final year and I think it would just take a bit too long. Thanks for your reply.
Reply 7
Original post by 学生の父
Where would you consider studying? Knowing that would help advise you on the exact requirements.

To be fair I would't mind travelling anywhere if it increases my chances on getting a place.
Reply 8
That is true but I still have a deep interest in psychology and I would like to do that as well, I do know its cheeper to do what you proposed. Thanks for helping me.
Reply 9
Thanks for all the help. I just want to go back to the original question for a second.
Psychology degree: 3 years
Medicine : 5 years
Foundation: 2 years
Pyschiatry training : 6 years (foundation and futher training)
I know this is a different question but what would help me get into a GEM.
I know this is a different question but what would help me get into a GEM.

Also I know a GEM is modified but could I just do the normal 5 years course as it is just another year as well as being less competitive?
You have been very helpful thanks!
To be fair I would't mind travelling anywhere if it increases my chances on getting a place.

Ok, well the GEM programme at Swansea doesn't require Chem or Biol A-levels, but you must achieve a minimum overall GAMSAT score of 50, together with a minimum of 50 in Paper 3 (Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences) in order to be considered.
Sorry but I have another question. Do universities want bot GAMSAT or UKCAT or just one.
Which test would you recommend doing. I
I know this is quite an asked question but what scores would you been asked to get for each.
How long would you revise for these tests also would you do them in your final year of the undegraduate degree or before it.
So would you even do that if you were going to do a GEM. What I mean is would you take it after you do the undergraduate or while you doing it.
This is the fina question, thanks you have been a great help. I know you can do it only once a year. But do they stack up if you do it in your second year and get a good score will it last or will you need to redo it. If so could you do it in the first, second and third year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending