The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level

Teaching myself, going through Pure 1 now, how is it usually structured in schools, when they do it in one year, do they cover all pure then move onto Mech&Stats, or work in chronological order?
Well in my school i have 7 lessons of maths a week, 3 lessons of mechanics and stats and 4 lessons of pure - different teachers so it’s basically treated like different subjects

Oh edit// this is for 2 years sorry
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by satsun
Teaching myself, going through Pure 1 now, how is it usually structured in schools, when they do it in one year, do they cover all pure then move onto Mech&Stats, or work in chronological order?

It varies depending on the school. Probably most schools switch between pure, stats and mechanics throughout the year instead of completing all of pure and moving to mechanics etc.
My sixth form did: First Year was Pure 1 Pure 2, Mechanics 1 and Statistics 1.
Then Second Year was Pure 3 Pure 4, Mechanics 2 and Statistics 2
Reply 4
Original post by Sir Cumference
It varies depending on the school. Probably most schools switch between pure, stats and mechanics throughout the year instead of completing all of pure and moving to mechanics etc.

so you’d say it’s easier to cover pure 1, then stats 1, then pure 2, then stats 2. Edexcel btw.
Reply 5
Original post by satsun
so you’d say it’s easier to cover pure 1, then stats 1, then pure 2, then stats 2. Edexcel btw.

I wouldn't say it's easier. I think if I was self teaching I'd learn pure, mechanics and stats kind of in parallel so I didn't get bored. Why are you self-teaching out of interest and not doing it in a school?
Reply 6
I wouldn't say it's easier. I think if I was self teaching I'd learn pure, mechanics and stats kind of in parallel so I didn't get bored. Why are you self-teaching out of interest and not doing it in a school?

It’s because I’m in Year 13, and want to get it done in one year.
Reply 7
Original post by satsun
It’s because I’m in Year 13, and want to get it done in one year.

Ah so you mean that you've only just decided this year that you want to do maths? Self-teaching can be very hard so make sure you use lots of resources including videos to make up for not having a teacher. Also post in the maths forum whenever you need help.
Reply 8
Ah so you mean that you've only just decided this year that you want to do maths? Self-teaching can be very hard so make sure you use lots of resources including videos to make up for not having a teacher. Also post in the maths forum whenever you need help.

Thanks for your help! Yes, I made the decision this year, I’m my GCSE I got a low 6 and was unhappy with it, so self-taught it in around 4 months, and I got an 8 (so close to a 9!), so I feel I can do it, even though I’m not underestimating the toughness.
Reply 9
Original post by satsun
Thanks for your help! Yes, I made the decision this year, I’m my GCSE I got a low 6 and was unhappy with it, so self-taught it in around 4 months, and I got an 8 (so close to a 9!), so I feel I can do it, even though I’m not underestimating the toughness.

An 8/9 means you've got a great foundation so you definitely have a good chance of doing well if you put the effort in. I recommend Examsolutions, DrFrostMaths, Mathsgenie and TLMaths. Also I made this checklist with links to videos and questions which you may find useful.
Reply 10
An 8/9 means you've got a great foundation so you definitely have a good chance of doing well if you put the effort in. I recommend Examsolutions, DrFrostMaths, Mathsgenie and TLMaths. Also I made this checklist with links to videos and questions which you may find useful.

Really, thank you so much, you’ve helped me exponentially😉
Reply 11
Original post by satsun

so I’m choosing maths and further maths for my a levles
and my school does all the a level content in year 12 and then all the further maths content in year 13
its quie tough
we’ve been going through the pure stuff (not in order) but also been doing some stats and mechanics here and there
Reply 12
Original post by Abidha
so I’m choosing maths and further maths for my a levles
and my school does all the a level content in year 12 and then all the further maths content in year 13
its quie tough
we’ve been going through the pure stuff (not in order) but also been doing some stats and mechanics here and there

yeah I’ve looked through pure 1 and tbh it just seems like an extension of hard GCSE topics, so I’m planning to race past that, then move onto the stats and pure 2.
Reply 13
Original post by satsun
yeah I’ve looked through pure 1 and tbh it just seems like an extension of hard GCSE topics, so I’m planning to race past that, then move onto the stats and pure 2.

I've noticed you haven't mention mechanics yet. Just checking you're aware that it is part of A level maths :smile:
Reply 14
I've noticed you haven't mention mechanics yet. Just checking you're aware that it is part of A level maths :smile:

yeah, I do, its just because they’re in the same book, I refer to the stats just so I can type quicker, but thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest