The Student Room Group

A levels are making me depressed

I’m not understanding the work in Sociology and I started to realise that I was really down, even outside of class. I don’t feel like I can cope anymore and I think I am becoming depressed. This is AS. Should I drop out?
Maybe change the subject or do BTEC’s instead. I also hated my A Levels just like most others so I feel the pain 😂
Reply 2
Original post by OR321
Maybe change the subject or do BTEC’s instead. I also hated my A Levels just like most others so I feel the pain 😂

The fact that I am not getting it is making me feel down, and sometimes the pressure from the teacher can have an impact too.

One person said to me “what makes you think you can do an access course if you can’t even do sociology? What are you going to do if you don’t do sociology?”

What they are implying is, A level sociology is one of the easiest A levels there is, even though some might find it harder than others. I am good with other subjects, it’s just that one that I have an issue with. Are they right though? Is A level sociology the easiest it’s going to get? It’s not knowing the stuff that’s a problem it’s writing and picking out notes from textbooks.
Original post by Anonymous
The fact that I am not getting it is making me feel down, and sometimes the pressure from the teacher can have an impact too.

One person said to me “what makes you think you can do an access course if you can’t even do sociology? What are you going to do if you don’t do sociology?”

What they are implying is, A level sociology is one of the easiest A levels there is, even though some might find it harder than others. I am good with other subjects, it’s just that one that I have an issue with. Are they right though? Is A level sociology the easiest it’s going to get? It’s not knowing the stuff that’s a problem it’s writing and picking out notes from textbooks.

The person that said that needs a slap lmao. I don’t know anything about sociology tbh but I did business studies which was pretty easy and quite straightforward so maybe look into that?

Don't let one person make you feel bad about yourself. Everyone has a weak subject and it sounds like your teacher is making it even more stressful.
Reply 5
Original post by Bismuth83
Don't let one person make you feel bad about yourself. Everyone has a weak subject and it sounds like your teacher is making it even more stressful.

He knows I can do it but I don’t feel like I can. I was once able, and now I am not, I guess that’s why I feel down and it’s stressful. What do you recommend that I do?
He knows I can do it but I don’t feel like I can. I was once able, and now I am not, I guess that’s why I feel down and it’s stressful. What do you recommend that I do?

If he believes in you then I do too. You aren't worse than you were before, I think you're feeling overwhelmed because it's the start of a new year and some subjects are just really hard to get used to at first so you shouldn't think it's your fault. Do you have a tutor or someone at school you can talk to about feeling stressed? They could offer you extra help with the subject or give advice since they'll have dealt with stressed year 12s before. I think if doing sociology is bad really bad for your mental health and you don't think you can continue for another year then just drop it or switch subjects (if you still can).
I honestly just think that the pressure of A-levels just crushes a lot of people I’m in my final year and I cried myself into panic attacks throughout the middle and end of my first year and still do occasionally now due to the pressure put on me by myself I think u have got to push through it. Unless u genuinely dislike the subject or the pressure could cause u physical harm as well as mental instability.
Hey, I'm predicted an A* for AQA sociology if you need any help feel free to pm me :h:

Its very easy! you can be a sh*t essay writer, but trust me you pick up skills along the way.

My revision is basically memorizing key concepts and sociologists' studies etc. I don't practice doing essays, I probably should but on the whole, I think its one of the most easiest A-levels out there!
I honestly just think that the pressure of A-levels just crushes a lot of people I’m in my final year and I cried myself into panic attacks throughout the middle and end of my first year and still do occasionally now due to the pressure put on me by myself I think u have got to push through it. Unless u genuinely dislike the subject or the pressure could cause u physical harm as well as mental instability.

Eventually I think the depression might cause physical harm and mental instability yes. This happened to my friend in sociology from February onwards and she panicked so much that she started her period and was crying to her tutor because she thought illness was going to cause her to fail everything. It was very late in the year and it was too late for her to drop sociology so she kept panicking even after her exams. She couldn’t stop worrying about the fact her sixth form may kick her out. She didn’t get kicked out but left due to illness and excessive anxiety.

I thought i was the only one who cried over something as small as that and had panic attacks and cried like that. I did get upset more than once already and I felt guilty afterwards. “Teachers/tutors aren’t there to hold your hand” that’s what someone told me and I felt worse about crying.
Eventually I think the depression might cause physical harm and mental instability yes. This happened to my friend in sociology from February onwards and she panicked so much that she started her period and was crying to her tutor because she thought illness was going to cause her to fail everything. It was very late in the year and it was too late for her to drop sociology so she kept panicking even after her exams. She couldn’t stop worrying about the fact her sixth form may kick her out. She didn’t get kicked out but left due to illness and excessive anxiety.

I thought i was the only one who cried over something as small as that and had panic attacks and cried like that. I did get upset more than once already and I felt guilty afterwards. “Teachers/tutors aren’t there to hold your hand” that’s what someone told me and I felt worse about crying.

I went through a extremely dark phase during my last GCSE year which cause me to physically harm myself. Thankfully I was able to get out of it by taking up an outlet for my anger, frustration and overwhelming sadness. U shouldn’t feel bad about crying the pressure is crushing for A-levels and people tell u it’s the rest of your life when quite frankly it isn’t. I get panic attacks still when I’m revising and I get frustrated causing me to break down into panic induced sobbing still. But u should definitely talk to someone like a really close friend, your tutor even people on here.
I did A-level sociology and it wasn’t an easy course and so many found was super hard (I genuinely loved the subject so admittedly found it easier than a few others) but you shouldn’t get yourself down thinking you can’t do it.
Ask a teacher for help if possible or look online for stuff. There were loads of useful websites that explain everything- I used plenty because my teacher was pretty useless at times

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest