The Student Room Group

Not sure if I have a perforation in my tympanic membrane

...in other words I have a hole in my eardrum. I stuffed an earphone in my ear once and ever since then I felt the left side of my neck being sore and had severe bleeding at night which could be from teeth or neck. I don’t have symptoms of having a hole in my eardrum though. I checked the nhs website. Any advice on what it could be?

What is inside earphones?
Reply 1
Call 111.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
...in other words I have a hole in my eardrum. I stuffed an earphone in my ear once and ever since then I felt the left side of my neck being sore and had severe bleeding at night which could be from teeth or neck. I don’t have symptoms of having a hole in my eardrum though. I checked the nhs website. Any advice on what it could be?

What is inside earphones?

A tiny speaker. The eardrum is self repairing but get the doc to have a look anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by Vinny C
A tiny speaker. The eardrum is self repairing but get the doc to have a look anyway.

I’m worried that it might have been a broken earphone. Why would my neck feel sore though? Unless something went inside (a wire) through the Eustachian tube
Reply 4
I’m worried that it might have been a broken earphone. Why would my neck feel sore though? Unless something went inside (a wire) through the Eustachian tube

Even if broken, the wires are generally too short to stick out. Did you fall asleep with it in or something?
Reply 5
Original post by Vinny C
Even if broken, the wires are generally too short to stick out. Did you fall asleep with it in or something?

No I was watching something on my phone
Reply 6
No I was watching something on my phone

Well... unless the plastic casing was cracked and had sharp edges, I can't see how an earphone would cause it unless you had it wanged up to 100dB. A doctor or surgery could check it in seconds.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Vinny C
Well... unless the plastic casing was cracked and had sharp edges, I can't see how the earphone would cause it unless you had it wanged up to 100dB. A doctor or surgery could check it in seconds.

What’s 100dB? Is that volume?
Reply 8
What’s 100dB? Is that volume?

Yes... dB stands for decibels. It would be like having your head next to a pneumatic drill without ear protection.

Quick Reply

Latest