The Student Room Group

USING THE LAW to DODGE A CRIME.

Would you dodge being arrested and convicted if you killed someone by driving recklessly in your car? As with the USA woman who is protected by Diplomatic Immunity from being charged for killing a 19-year-old lad in England.
As a decent just person (if you are one) surely you hand yourself into a police station???
Its inevitably tempting to use privilege to avoid accountability, no matter how wrong you are, because it’s a lot easier to live with your guilt than to pay for your mistakes.
Reply 2
Original post by JanusGodofDoors
Its inevitably tempting to use privilege to avoid accountability, no matter how wrong you are, because it’s a lot easier to live with your guilt than to pay for your mistakes.

I am asking what YOU would do. Can you say what YOU would do?
I would go to the police station, I have no doubt about that.
didnt bruce jenner kill someone with their car years ago. no sentence nothing.
Reply 4
Original post by HiViz9
Would you dodge being arrested and convicted if you killed someone by driving recklessly in your car? As with the USA woman who is protected by Diplomatic Immunity from being charged for killing a 19-year-old lad in England.
As a decent just person (if you are one) surely you hand yourself into a police station???

Yes I would dodge a prison sentence if I could.

who wants to spend years locked away?

I think most people would use this get out of jail free card too if they could.
Original post by HiViz9

Yes I like to think I would. Not sure I could live with my conscience otherwise.
Original post by HiViz9

Hard to say unless you were in that situation. I would like to think I would hand myself in, but she had the option of staying with her children. You dont know if she was ordered by the US government to leave.
It doesn't help society have closure but she will have to live with what she has done for the rest of her life. And with the internet being what it is these days she will be judged even if not by a court of law.
Original post by ByEeek
It doesn't help society have closure but she will have to live with what she has done for the rest of her life. And with the internet being what it is these days she will be judged even if not by a court of law.

Her name is out now. I dont see her coming back.
Funny thing is they have asked other countries to waive immunity and got it.
Reply 9
Strange people are not addressing the salient point in the question..... what would you do ????? I know 100% what I would do.
Original post by HiViz9

I think its fine to. Its not the persons responsibility if they are still following the law, the fault is within the law itself.
Reply 11
Well isnt that rather the point of hiring a lawyer to defend you (if you dont skip town of course) I mean they are literally paid to try and get you off.
Original post by HiViz9

Diplomatic immunity belongs to the sending country not the diplomat. The USA could have insisted upon it, even if the woman had wanted to stand trial. It has been nearly 80 years since the USA waived diplomatic immunity.
Original post by HiViz9

In this case she’s also handed herself in because it’s the right thing to do and that she’d be viewed as a monster if she just got away with murder also I don’t know how she could live with herself
Original post by ByEeek

Being judged by the internet is arguably worse than being judged by a court of law
Original post by Greywolftwo
Being judged by the internet is arguably worse than being judged by a court of law

Agreed.
Original post by HiViz9

You have no doubt? Really? It's true, we love to think of ourselves as moral, that we'd do the right thing. Easy to say when you're not in that situation (this isn't me saying this is right mind you, but I have no idea how I'd act until I was in that situation)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending