The Student Room Group

Alevel advice needed

Basically long story short I’ve picked the wrong alevels for my dream uni course. I want to study medicine but I’ve picked English Lang&lit, history and media alevels. I’ve decided to do maths alevel online separate from my college. This ensures me into two other options I’m interested in such as business and nursing but my heart is in being a doctor. It’s too late to change at my college now but I just want advice to know if maybe I should take maths and chemistry online as extra or if there is any good foundation years for medicine at uni or if I should just give up haha.
Are you in y12 or y13?
Taking two A levels online extra is a load of work..
Reply 2
why do you want to do medicine?
Original post by Adam :)
why do you want to do medicine?

Ever since I was younger I’ve always been interested in medicine and in general science. I feel like it would be a fulfilling and rewarding job. I also enjoying looking after and helping people and I’m not sure if this sounds weird but I also like the atmosphere of hospitals? It’s hard to explain but I’m passionate about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Ashleighkami
Ever since I was younger I’ve always been interested in medicine and in general science. I feel like it would be a fulfilling and rewarding job. I also enjoying looking after and helping people and I’m not sure if this sounds weird but I also like the atmosphere of hospitals? It’s hard to explain but I’m passionate about it.

you say this passion started when you were younger, but you picked the wrong a levels?
(edited 4 years ago)
you say this passion started when you were younger, but you picked the wrong a levels?

I didn’t get the correct grades to pursue this dream due to lack of studying for my GCSE’s because of my mental health etc. However I’m in a much healthier state now and I’m serious about studying and getting good grades.
Chemistry is of course essential with another science (most people do biology, but I don’t think it’s a requirement).

Online might be harder. I know someone in my school is retaking year 12 to do the A-Levels needed for their course- would that be an option for you?
Reply 7
I didn’t get the correct grades to pursue this dream due to lack of studying for my GCSE’s because of my mental health etc. However I’m in a much healthier state now and I’m serious about studying and getting good grades.

you need the grades you realise.

minimum of a B in chem/bio and maths was my schools requirements for chem and bio.

do you have these requirements?

If you dont then how will you cope with the a level spec and even get the grades needed?
Reply 8
Original post by TakeMeToHogwarts
Chemistry is of course essential with another science (most people do biology, but I don’t think it’s a requirement).

Online might be harder. I know someone in my school is retaking year 12 to do the A-Levels needed for their course- would that be an option for you?

OP doesnt have the correct grades she said
Original post by confuzzledteen
Are you in y12 or y13?
Taking two A levels online extra is a load of work..

I’m in year 12
Original post by TakeMeToHogwarts

I’m not entirely sure it’s a possibility but I could always take a gap year after college to finish up these extra alevels.
you need the grades you realise.

minimum of a B in chem/bio and maths was my schools requirements for chem and bio.

do you have these requirements?

If you dont then how will you cope with the a level spec and even get the grades needed?

I got 554 in science and a 5 in maths. At my college 6s are required.
Firstly, you need to do some relevant work experience to see if you really do want to do Medicine.
Shadowing a GP for a week, volunteering in an Aged Care facility etc etc.
Then you need to go to some Uni Open Days and listen to the Medicine School talks/presentations.

Its all fine to think 'I want to be a doctor' - but what is the reality of the job like, and can you sustain an interest in Medicine for 5 long years at Uni.

There are Medicine Foundation courses for those with the 'wrong' A levels but high grades - Southampton as one example. Or you could spend a year doing a science based Access to HE course once you have finished these A levels. All Med schools would accept this with high grades. And you will need to have a high grade Maths GCSE. And btw, if you are thinking you 'can't be bothered' to take an extra year to get to Med School then clearly Medicine is not actually that important at all.

Lots of advice about Applying for Medicine here - including work exp, and Foundation courses etc. : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by returnmigrant
Firstly, you need to do some relevant work experience to see if you really do want to do Medicine.
Shadowing a GP for a week, volunteering in an Aged Care facility etc etc.
Then you need to go to some Uni Open Days and listen to the Medicine School talks/presentations.

Its all fine to think 'I want to be a doctor' - but what is the reality of the job like, and can you sustain an interest in Medicine for 5 long years at Uni.

There are Medicine Foundation courses for those with the 'wrong' A levels but high grades - Southampton as one example. Or you could spend a year doing a science based Access to HE course once you have finished these A levels. All Med schools would accept this with high grades. And you will need to have a high grade Maths GCSE. And btw, if you are thinking you 'can't be bothered' to take an extra year to get to Med School then clearly Medicine is not actually that important at all.

Lots of advice about Applying for Medicine here - including work exp, and Foundation courses etc. : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Yes, I’ve been planning to do medicine based work experience in my second year of college. In terms of foundation courses I’ve found that I’m not eligible to many because of my alevel choices (not having bio etc) although I am still searching. In terms of an access to medicine course I could pursue this however when looking into them they seem to be incredibly expensive compared to alevel online courses. However thank you for the information.
Yes, I’ve been planning to do medicine based work experience in my second year of college. In terms of foundation courses I’ve found that I’m not eligible to many because of my alevel choices (not having bio etc) although I am still searching. In terms of an access to medicine course I could pursue this however when looking into them they seem to be incredibly expensive compared to alevel online courses. However thank you for the information.

your ONLY OPTION resit ALL your GCSEs.

im telling you if you struggled with gcse chemistry and biology they are something else at a level. trust me I do them both so i can vouch.

You should really think about another healthcare option

best regards,
Adam

Quick Reply

Latest