The Student Room Group

AMA about Islam, beliefs & point of views. Share YOURS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amen4
Well, personally I consider dating as okay in Islam so when it comes to that I am not seeking a righteous spouse I'm seeking someone to dat who'll support me.... I would say that dating makes things a lot easier than a set up wedding, but if you prefer that or think its better then go for it just don't worry too much even if it seems that it's rare to find someone righteous who fear God.... It's still something not impossible just don't expect to find someone by a setted wedding who's perfect (righteous modest fear god...) you just need to work things together and help each other....

Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not mean through traditional arranged marriage setups, thats more of a cultural thing. Although personally I wouldn't mind an arranged marriage, in terms of finding a husband with the help of family, friends etc. and by getting to know him through "halal" dating if thats how you wanna put it. same applies if I find him on my own.

When you say dating is okay, what do you mean by this? being in a relationship prior to marriage?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yep thats exactly how i feel about marriage too.
Reply 22
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not mean through traditional arranged marriage setups, thats more of a cultural thing. Although personally I wouldn't mind an arranged marriage, in terms of finding a husband with the help of family, friends etc. and by getting to know him through "halal" dating if thats how you wanna put it. same applies if I find him on my own.

When you say dating is okay, what do you mean by this? being in a relationship prior to marriage?

Oh, sorry if I misunderstood. Yes, that's what I meant falling in love.... prior to marriage and more in a "halal" way If I may say that
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous__02
Yep thats exactly how i feel about marriage too.

but like I just want to ask a question like what's your opinion on marriage in general and how useful and different it is from dating? and Islams views on virginity. just wanted to know someone elses opinion on these topics .
Original post by Amen4
but like I just want to ask a question like what's your opinion on marriage in general and how useful and different it is from dating? and Islams views on virginity. just wanted to know someone elses opinion on these topics .

I’m assuming you’re a Muslim ? Male or female? I am too. Imo there’s a lot of forced marriage going on because of culture and this gives Islam a bad image , it’s culture that does this. Also, I don’t have anything against arranged marriage, as long as the final decision is purely on the person getting married and not the parents, because that does tend to happen. My ideal marriage would probably be finding someone who I truly love by myself. All these cousin marriages etc are slowly dying out now with the new generation
Reply 25
I’m assuming you’re a Muslim ? Male or female? I am too. Imo there’s a lot of forced marriage going on because of culture and this gives Islam a bad image , it’s culture that does this. Also, I don’t have anything against arranged marriage, as long as the final decision is purely on the person getting married and not the parents, because that does tend to happen. My ideal marriage would probably be finding someone who I truly love by myself. All these cousin marriages etc are slowly dying out now with the new generation

Yeah, I mean arranged weddings can somehow work better in some cases I've seen in real life, but now that ppl discovered being in a relationship more and how it works its hard for them to accept the idea of having an an arranged marriage. and the thing that makes arranged marriage worse is that most Muslim couples who were set by an arranged wedding don't accept the idea themselves and just make it harder for both of them so its more of an outdated idea for todays generation Most times it won't work out even if its not the most horrible idea originally
Original post by Amen4
Yeah, I mean arranged weddings can somehow work better in some cases I've seen in real life, but now that ppl discovered being in a relationship more and how it works its hard for them to accept the idea of having an an arranged marriage. and the thing that makes arranged marriage worse is that most Muslim couples who were set by an arranged wedding don't accept the idea themselves and just make it harder for both of them so its more of an outdated idea for todays generation Most times it won't work out even if its not the most horrible idea originally

Oh and my view on virginity, should only be lost after marriage, no exception.
What are your thoughts on the beard. Obviously my end goal is to have at least a full fist but at the moment it’s difficult to not at least clean up the sides etc because honestly when there’s hair all over the place it’s not a good look.
Reply 28
Oh and my view on virginity, should only be lost after marriage, no exception.

As a Muslim female I agree and I definitely don't see it as a form of oppression like yeah, societys way of dealing with it can be absurd, sometimes ESP with cases where the girls lost their virginity by rape or biologically. but in general having sexual relationships out of marriage is very risky and can lead to dangerous diseases like AIDS.... so seeing that sexual relationships main purpose is having children and the best scenario for having children is when married, I can definitely understand why Islam would like to keep sexual relationships until marriage At the end the virginity is not only fot the The female in a way, if most females would keep their "virginity" than males won't mostly find someone to have sexual relationship with out of marriage so yeah its rather something nice and wise then opressing or anything like that
Reply 29
What are your thoughts on the beard. Obviously my end goal is to have at least a full fist but at the moment it’s difficult to not at least clean up the sides etc because honestly when there’s hair all over the place it’s not a good look.

As a female I don't have that much to say about beards, but as a Muslim I don't share those opinions that say that you should grow a beard without shaving it or its a must to grow a beard. I mean as long as you look like a male and your looks are clean and appropriate I don't see why anything should be wrong with it
All religions have this attitude of I am right and you are wrong. It is inevitable that this narrow perspective of the will of god will cause conflict. It is not what allah wished for us. We are in no place to judge the will of allah and should accept it exists in the conscience of all men. Only those who ignore their conscience.. their true link with god, deny him.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Amen4
As a female I don't have that much to say about beards, but as a Muslim I don't share those opinions that say that you should grow a beard without shaving it or its a must to grow a beard. I mean as long as you look like a male and your looks are clean and appropriate I don't see why anything should be wrong with it

What do you mean you don’t agree with keeping a beard being compulsory. It’s quite a big part of faith, there’s a Hadith saying shaving a beard is like putting a sword to the prophets chest (ask for forgiveness if I said it wrong)
Reply 32
Original post by Vinny C
All religions have this attitude of I am right and you are wrong. It is inevitable that this narrow perspective of the will of god will cause conflict. It is not what allah wished for us. We are in no place to judge the will of allah and should accept it exists in the conscience of all men. Only those who ignore their conscience.. their true link with god, deny him.

can you please put what you're saying in a another way I'm afraid I can't tell your point exactly I can kinda see whatt you're saying but making it more clear would make it easier for me to respond . Thanks
Original post by Amen4

maybe cuz the prophet (peace and blessings upon him) commanded it
Reply 34
Original post by Vinny C

Okay, since you didn't answer my last question I am still goingto try and answer according to what I was able to understand so basically you're saying that all religions says that they are right and you're wrong, therefore it's inevitable to have conflicts between them and so we shouldn't say or try to stop those conflicts as they are the will of Allah and by such attitude we're judging him.... First like yeah if Islam, for example, says that drinking is wrong while the books that christian now follows says that it's okay, there's something contradictory between them but that doesn't mean we should fight about it or not get along like why would you be bothered At most if you have someone close to you who's a christian and drinks you could advise him on, why not to drink but that person doing that thing that his religion or what he follows says he can do doesn't mean you should be provoked ,mad or fight Only in rare cases so no it doesn't mean that naturally we shouldn't get along or we should fight and that's how god created us like no that's not right at all at least its not okay and not natural to fight with someone just bcz hes of another religion its not something religions were created for or or their differences. Difference between religion might cause not getting along in some cases, but it isn't okay, it isn't something allah wished for us. At least this is how I see it from my personal point of view and how I will act if my religion says something that other religions says differently. (There are cases where my attitude should be different, but they are few and particular)
Original post by Leviathan1611
is halal meat basically meat that has been sacrificed to allah? like how some religions would sacrifice an animal to their god?

Halal meat is meat cut in a certain way which means the animal feels no pain halal meat is also blessed by the person slaughtering
Reply 36
What do you mean you don’t agree with keeping a beard being compulsory. It’s quite a big part of faith, there’s a Hadith saying shaving a beard is like putting a sword to the prophets chest (ask for forgiveness if I said it wrong)

I mean I'm not the only one who's saying it ain't compulsory like as far as I know it's nowhere mentioned in the Quran so yeah its not compulsory neither a big part of faith. faith is a whole other thing. but again, I see it this way like say for example you're applying for a job and they tell you you have to shave your beard and this job will give you the opportunity to present something to the world and earn money for your family..... you can't just say oh its gonna upset the prophet if I'm gonna shave my beard (you can't say its compulsory as it's not mentioned in the Quran) so I'm gonan refuse this job offer like NO the job is much more important than your beard in this case probably not the best example, but in general what I'm meaning is that the whole purpose out of it is to look more like a man... the purpose of other things like jobs... are more important therefor sometimes it can be super fun to shave it it depends on your intentions what important are the results of your actions and your intentions
Original post by Amen4
I mean I'm not the only one who's saying it ain't compulsory like as far as I know it's nowhere mentioned in the Quran so yeah its not compulsory neither a big part of faith. faith is a whole other thing. but again, I see it this way like say for example you're applying for a job and they tell you you have to shave your beard and this job will give you the opportunity to present something to the world and earn money for your family..... you can't just say oh its gonna upset the prophet if I'm gonna shave my beard (you can't say its compulsory as it's not mentioned in the Quran) so I'm gonan refuse this job offer like NO the job is much more important than your beard in this case probably not the best example, but in general what I'm meaning is that the whole purpose out of it is to look more like a man... the purpose of other things like jobs... are more important therefor sometimes it can be super fun to shave it it depends on your intentions what important are the results of your actions and your intentions

Just because it’s not in the Quran (as you say I’m not 100% sure) doesn’t mean it isn’t compulsory. You have heard of Hadith haven’t you? I literally mentioned one above
Reply 38
Just because it’s not in the Quran (as you say I’m not 100% sure) doesn’t mean it isn’t compulsory. You have heard of Hadith haven’t you? I literally mentioned one above

Yes, I know hadith but when you say something is compulsory, you mean its "wajeb" not doing it is haram and that only applies to things mentioned in Quran and most imams adopt the understanding that says its not compulsory
Original post by Amen4
Yes, I know hadith but when you say something is compulsory, you mean its "wajeb" not doing it is haram and that only applies to things mentioned in Quran and most imams adopt the understanding that says its not compulsory

No they don’t

Quick Reply

Latest