The Student Room Group

Who would be to blame if EU negotiations break down and we leave with no deal?

Poll

Who would be to blame?

Debate I heard on the radio this morning.

I recon I can guess the answer this website will give.

Poll above.

Scroll to see replies

By all accounts Johnson hasn't even attempted to negotiate a new deal, just put forward a deliberately absurd Irish border, so it's hard to see how we don't blame him.
Good old BoJo
in order from most to least blame:

1. May+co.

If she hadn't lost her majority and messed up her negotiating possition, we would all be out of the EU on a compromise possition by now. Love it or hate it, she trully killed any chance of a compromise.

2. Boris + ERG

Obviously, as he would be the person to pull the trigger.. may started the fight, bought him the gun and linned it up for him, but he his the one who will fire it.

3. Labour

Lets be honest, and as much has been admitted to in interviews and on political shows. There is no deal that boris can ever bring that Labour will back. None. Even if he brings the most perfect deal imaginable, they will reject it... they have to. Why? because if its a bad deal, they need to rejected it out of good sense and care for this country... but if its a good deal they still have to reject it because admiting that boris and the tories saved brexit, is political suicide. So they are somewhat stuck, but their possition is also a large contributing factor to us getting no deal.

4. Cameron

For calling the referendum in arrogance, and making the awful election promise of having one, whilst expecting to be in a coalition that would never have to deliver the promise.

5. The EU

They are doing what they should do, and protecting their interests.. but they are playing a risky game. They know that making the deal as bad as possible is the best way to push the UK into remaining - and its currently working. But if by some method unthought of boris manages to get around the law and does leave.. they will hold a bit of responsibility. I think their gamble will pay off though, for me the only thing that is potentially stopping us from really being on the road to remaining is Labour's messy policy. If they can just stomach joining up with the Libs on this, they will win the next election, and can either revoke article 50, or have another referendum (which remain would comfortably win).

Not to blame: SNP, Lib dems, Greens etc. They stood on clear manifestos to remain, and all of their actions have been in line with what their voters voted for.
Spectators doing to speculate.

Hedge funds going to fund Brexit while short selling the market for gross profits.
Johnson put forward a proposal he knew perfectly well wouldn’t work, and can now push for a no deal Brexit while still claiming to have tried for a deal.

But the real blame lies with Cameron. Using a public referendum to solve a party political issue dragged this entire country into social and political quicksand. The more we try to solve or escape the issue of Brexit, the worse and more entrenched it becomes. Any solution will alienate between a third and a half of our populace, and a compromise makes everyone angry. The only way to have avoided this mess was to simply not have had a referendum. Cameron made the error of a lifetime, and it will be his legacy to have torn Britain in two, out the of arrogance that he could win.
Original post by Shining Stars
Good old BoJo

He's not good, though yes he would be entirely to blame, given the proposals he has made he knows full well are a non-starter. Indeed the lies on the side of the bus are partly his doing, as he would have known the true figure, and going further back he wrote untrue stories when a journalist.
Original post by barnetlad
He's not good, though yes he would be entirely to blame, given the proposals he has made he knows full well are a non-starter. Indeed the lies on the side of the bus are partly his doing, as he would have known the true figure, and going further back he wrote untrue stories when a journalist.

Exactly why he is to blame :yep:
All of them.
Reply 9
"Be to blame" are the wrong words. "We have to thank" would be more appropriate.

No Deal is the best way forward at this stage.
Reply 10
Original post by Andrew97

Poll above.

Well obviously it's the fault of the Brexiteers who started this mess, and the government that then failed to sort it out.........
Reply 11
I go for all education secretaries over the last forty odd years; whilst education, education, education was a mantra it produced ignorance. ignorance, ignorance.
Reply 12
Leavers in general. They voted for this after being told repeatedly that it would be a cluster****.
Reply 13
Original post by Andrew97

Poll above.

Who exactly forms this err 'remain alliance'? I mean whilst theres plenty of leavers and remainers floating about outside of things like the ERG i wouldnt say you posit there being any sort of alliance among those wish to stay.
Original post by Napp
Leavers in general. They voted for this after being told repeatedly that it would be a cluster****.

And that cluster**** has been delivered by petulant MP's who cannot accept that the general public voted to leave the EU, parliament as a whole for me.
Reply 15
Original post by ColinDent
And that cluster**** has been delivered by petulant MP's who cannot accept that the general public voted to leave the EU, parliament as a whole for me.

Heaven forbid some of them stand up for the other half of the population :rolleyes:
Either way seeing as no one ever expressed an intention of how to leave, and no you cannot say that a hard brexit should be treated as a default, it is still their fault.
Original post by Napp
Who exactly forms this err 'remain alliance'? I mean whilst theres plenty of leavers and remainers floating about outside of things like the ERG i wouldnt say you posit there being any sort of alliance among those wish to stay.

It’s the general mashing together of SNP,Ldem, Remain Labour and Rebel Tories. (Ie I ran out of options and didn’t know how to add more)
Original post by Napp
Heaven forbid some of them stand up for the other half of the population :rolleyes:
Either way seeing as no one ever expressed an intention of how to leave, and no you cannot say that a hard brexit should be treated as a default, it is still their fault.

Yet when the intention of those who did vote to leave is made clearer by say, oh I don't know, a massive vote for the brexit party in the EU elections, it is then ignored as fact and that particular argument is put on the back burner.
As you can see from the following info in areas that voted to leave the brexit party surged and Labour in particular struggled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48403131
Original post by ColinDent
Yet when the intention of those who did vote to leave is made clearer by say, oh I don't know, a massive vote for the brexit party in the EU elections, it is then ignored as fact and that particular argument is put on the back burner.

Which parties do you think represented leave in the EU elections?
Original post by SHallowvale
Which parties do you think represented leave in the EU elections?

Labour, conservatives, ukip, Brexit party..

Based on their official positions at the time.

Quick Reply