The Student Room Group

muslim girls- how do you avoid guys hitting on you, being close/touching you at uni

Scroll to see replies

You don't like my thread?
its not about giving you a chance or not, in fact if you read it, the entire thing was about how i can NOT give people chances lol anyway sorry for offending you if i did.
Original post by Anonymous
Wow. Genuinely offended by the skinny guy thing. At least give us a chance. It’s not all about pecs and biceps. A lot of skinny people are skinny due to them having skinny genes (lol pardon the pun) so it’s not entirely fair/our fault.
Reply 42
You don't like my thread?

It's a crazy thread about being delicate rather than having the guts to open your mouth and say no to unwanted touching. It is such an awful post; stereotyping muslims! Can't you ban your own post? Please try!
Tell them you have chicken pox.
well its not their thread its mine so i wouldnt think so and just a question, are you a muslim?/exposed to many? this is a genuine question that many people (i have since found out) have and if you dont like it you dont have to read it!
Original post by mgi
It's a crazy thread about being delicate rather than having the guts to open your mouth and say no to unwanted touching. It is such an awful post; stereotyping muslims! Can't you ban your own post? Please try!
Reply 45
well its not their thread its mine so i wouldnt think so and just a question, are you a muslim?/exposed to many? this is a genuine question that many people (i have since found out) have and if you dont like it you dont have to read it!

Your point being? Relevance? Are any people anywhere of any religion supposed to enjoy inappropriate touching? Insist on being treated properly. Simple! Thats why your post is ridiculous. So muslims reading this might get a different perspective on your supposed issue that many people (muslims only?). Why not talk about something more interesting like racial integration in Britain?
(edited 4 years ago)
if you'd like a discussion on racial integration into britain go make your own post, and politely please do get off mine. thanks.
Original post by mgi
Your point being? Relevance? Are any people anywhere of any religion supposed to enjoy inappropriate touching? Insist on being treated properly. Simple! Thats why your post is ridiculous. So muslims reading this might get a different perspective on your supposed issue that many people (muslims only?). Why not talk about something more interesting like racial integration in Britain?
Reply 47
if you'd like a discussion on racial integration into britain go make your own post, and politely please do get off mine. thanks.

Passive aggressive heh? I dont think that many people are interested in your stereotypical presentation of 'delicate' muslims who are obsessed with not being inappropriately touched and who, unlike other people, are apparently unable to speak up when that is happening . Ridiculous! Also your rudeness is not a good advert for Islam either!
ive always gone to a girls school but im not your typical frigid, awkward *****y girl i was defo the chilled laid back one who just went there because it was the best school in the area type thing-so obviously i havent ever really had issues with guys who i see/walk with/hang out with everyday liking me and trying to get closer to me etc. Now obviously, i'm a practicing muslim and do take my faith quite seriously but i went on a summer school recently obviously mixed and we quickly formed a mixed group. this guy tho yeah he consistently sat v close to me, had his arm around me(on the sofa so not actually touching) when we were sat on the couch, touched my back and often when we were walking down quite narrow lanes we would just constantly keep bumping into eachother. we also rubbed shoulders alot and when we were on the sofa had a blanket over the two of us ( i didnt realise it was only over us apparently i had the majority of it). i am honestly riddled with guilt and i dunno i just hate this feeling because i know its not allowed to be close to a guy but honestly it was him always initiating/instigating it and i was just trying to be nice back. luckily this was only a week long summer school but i expect had it been freshers week this would have carried on and we wouldve carried on brushing into eachother and all the other minor touching that was going on between us would have continued- i wasnt reciprocating anything like touching him back except a few times when it was necessary so i honeslty wonder how you girls at uni do it? do you just 100% avoid guys altogerther from day one? or just befriend skinny ones lol so you never have to touch, this guy was HENCH unfortunately for me and he took up a lot of the room i know i shouldve hung back or walked ahead or whatever and got out of the close contact situation but that for 3 years straigjt would inevitably get exhausting (and i would just feel rude!) a whole damned essay uno- anyway please do reply and let me know what i should do/what you do. thanks

I just avoid men. Resting b*tch face and me naturally being bad at small talk is enough to repel men. If there is an opportunity where I have to interact with men, I try my best to let someone else do it. My friends know I don’t like interacting with men so if we were walking and there was a guy trying to talk to us, I would walk ahead and let them do the talking. Of course, don’t outright ignore the dude and say hi but that’s it.
Reply 49
I just avoid men. Resting b*tch face and me naturally being bad at small talk is enough to repel men. If there is an opportunity where I have to interact with men, I try my best to let someone else do it. My friends know I don’t like interacting with men so if we were walking and there was a guy trying to talk to us, I would walk ahead and let them do the talking. Of course, don’t outright ignore the dude and say hi but that’s it.

That's fine and it is your right to do so but it doesn't make it right necessarily. One should not stereotype people though.

Small talk is probably one of the most cringe aspects of meeting someone new :colonhash:
Reply 51
Original post by Dunya
Small talk is probably one of the most cringe aspects of meeting someone new :colonhash:

But the description of avoiding guys is odd don't you think?
Original post by mgi
But the description of avoiding guys is odd don't you think?

No. You don't have to converse with someone if you don't want to. Simple as.
Original post by Dunya

Fr. I just die inside every time. 😂

Original post by mgi
That's fine and it is your right to do so but it doesn't make it right necessarily. One should not stereotype people though.

It’s not because of a stereotype. I’m just genuinely awkward with guys because I grew up in an all girls environment until college/sixth form. I usually find that they feel intimidated by me and since I don’t have much to talk to them about anyway, I just take the L on them. Like I said; greet, but before they get friendly run away on your feet.
Reply 54
Original post by Dunya
No. You don't have to converse with someone if you don't want to. Simple as.

no ,but the phrase," i just avoid men" is a bit odd dont you think?
Original post by mgi
no ,but the phrase," i just avoid men" is a bit odd dont you think?

It really isn’t. I can choose to not interact with whomever I do not want to. Pls also remember to use proper grammar next time.
Original post by Jenx301
If you dont want someone to touch you then tell them to stopl. If they don't then they are dicks and you should report them to the uni

^ This. Simple as.
Original post by mgi

Original post by mgi

If she hadn't made the thread, she might still think it was okay for people to touch her in ways she didn't want them to; she might still think she didn't have every right to speak up. It's not constructive to ridicule her for it!

Our society contains elements that put substantial effort into convincing girls that guys are entitled to touch them. Is the idea that the OP might end up in this kind of headspace really so surprising? It IS ridiculous, but is it her fault?
Oh for the racists btw, I’m not Muslim. It’s not just Muslim girls. I’m East Asian. Try being racist next time. Uni is somewhere s*x is so normalised, it’s like it’s not normal if you don’t have it. Men need to realise that not all women are open to s*x at uni; some girls wanna do it which is perfectly fine and some don’t which is also perfectly fine and men need to learn to respect that. Men are not entitled to female attention. Keep your hands to yourself unless you were asked to (and learnt I take a hint pls).
Oh for the racists btw, I’m not Muslim. It’s not just Muslim girls. I’m East Asian. Try being racist next time. Uni is somewhere s*x is so normalised, it’s like it’s not normal if you don’t have it. Men need to realise that not all women are open to s*x at uni; some girls wanna do it which is perfectly fine and some don’t which is also perfectly fine and men need to learn to respect that. Men are not entitled to female attention. Keep your hands to yourself unless you were asked to (and learnt I take a hint pls).

*and learn to take a hint pls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending