The Student Room Group

Canadian Universities

I got an BCC in my A-levels. I want to apply to Canada for universities in Media Studies. I’m applying to about 14 universities in Canada, most of which are in Ontario. Will any university take me?
Original post by SaraNadeem
I got an BCC in my A-levels. I want to apply to Canada for universities in Media Studies. I’m applying to about 14 universities in Canada, most of which are in Ontario. Will any university take me?

if it doesnt work out that way you can do what I'm doing (studying at a UK uni with a year abroad)
Reply 2
@p_helena I want to go to Canada for sure. I’ve applied to many different universities even low-ranked ones, but want to know if I can get in.

Which ones are you applying to?
Reply 4
Original post by zero_gravity
Which ones are you applying to?

I’m applying to:
-Waterloo
-York University
-Ryerson University
-University of McMaster
-Ontario Tech University
-OCAD
-Wilfrid Laurier University
-Brock University
-Trent University
-Humber University
-Sheridan University
-Algoma University
-Laurentian University

So, I feel like the first 6 universities are the more competitive to get in one and the last 6 may be a bit easier. What do you think are my chances according to my AS grades and considering that I’m going into Media Studies so I’m hoping this program won’t be that competitive to get into anyway. Do you think I can get in ?
I’m applying to:
-Waterloo
-York University
-Ryerson University
-University of McMaster
-Ontario Tech University
-OCAD
-Wilfrid Laurier University
-Brock University
-Trent University
-Humber University
-Sheridan University
-Algoma University
-Laurentian University

So, I feel like the first 6 universities are the more competitive to get in one and the last 6 may be a bit easier. What do you think are my chances according to my AS grades and considering that I’m going into Media Studies so I’m hoping this program won’t be that competitive to get into anyway. Do you think I can get in ?

You are probably better off studying at a college for Media Studies. OCAD is a great choice for this field. If you are looking into journalism, Ryerson is worth considering with their strong programme, as well as Carleton (I know it's not on your list, but you can do further research).

I'm not sure about Humber and Sheridan College, but I figure they are also good choices to consider. The other ones you've mentioned aren't necessarily that renowned for Media Studies, but they should provide a decent programme.

Colleges are generally easier to apply to, but I'm not sure if your grades would be sufficient enough to ensure entry. It's best that you contact them directly. As for journalism, it is a rather competitive programme, so you will need to improve your grades. For the other programmes, you should be able to get in, as they are not competitive.
Reply 6
Original post by zero_gravity
You are probably better off studying at a college for Media Studies. OCAD is a great choice for this field. If you are looking into journalism, Ryerson is worth considering with their strong programme, as well as Carleton (I know it's not on your list, but you can do further research).

I'm not sure about Humber and Sheridan College, but I figure they are also good choices to consider. The other ones you've mentioned aren't necessarily that renowned for Media Studies, but they should provide a decent programme.

Colleges are generally easier to apply to, but I'm not sure if your grades would be sufficient enough to ensure entry. It's best that you contact them directly. As for journalism, it is a rather competitive programme, so you will need to improve your grades. For the other programmes, you should be able to get in, as they are not competitive.

Hmm true Journalism would be tougher to get in. Thing is I’m not going into Journalism though. I’m going into Media Studies or Graphic Designing, so shouldn’t this field be relatively less competitive? Also, may I ask why you’re not sure about Humber and Sheridan? Do you mean it’s because you haven’t heard of them or do you mean that they’re not that good? Thing is I had to spread out my university list so that it contains some universities which may be easier to get in.
Hmm true Journalism would be tougher to get in. Thing is I’m not going into Journalism though. I’m going into Media Studies or Graphic Designing, so shouldn’t this field be relatively less competitive? Also, may I ask why you’re not sure about Humber and Sheridan? Do you mean it’s because you haven’t heard of them or do you mean that they’re not that good? Thing is I had to spread out my university list so that it contains some universities which may be easier to get in.

The programme that you are applying to are generally taught in colleges, so it isn't really helpful if you are going to university for media studies. As for graphic design, it's possible to consider Ontario Tech University. However, it's a fairly new university, so it might be difficult to get a job after graduating.

Humber and Sheridan are good colleges, but I'm not sure whether they have a good programme for media studies. However, if you are talking about graphic design, I know that Sheridan has a great programme. In fact, one of the alumni in their animation programme won an Oscar for her Pixar short film.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending