The Student Room Group

Help me narrow down to my 5 uni choices!

Hello! My Name’s Jon and I’m currently a Y13 Student hoping to apply to study Psychology this year. I’ve been looking at different universities and to be honest I’m not really sure on what to apply to yet so I’ll list them down and if you guys can post what your 5 for me would be.

INFO -
GCSE’s: 1A* 2B’s 4C’s 4D’s (C in Maths so I’m resitting)

I’ve resit a year.

A-Levels: Psychology (A*) Maths (B) English Lit (B) Welsh Bac (B/A)

I qualify for a contextual offer (school is ranked 200+/212) and live in a Polar 4 quintile 1 area for HE.

Now on to my Universities:

Aspirational - Some require B in GCSE Maths
Durham: BSc Psychology (AAA)
York: BSc Psychology (AAA) Conditional will ask for a B in GCSE
Warwick BSc Psychology (AAB) accept my A-level in place of GCSE
Nottingham: BSc Psychology (AAB) will accept A-level Maths in place
Southampton: BSc Criminology and Psychology (ABB)
Cardiff: BSc Human and Social Sciences (ABB)

Target unis:
Aberdeen: MA Psychology (BBB)
Bangor: BSc Psychology with Clinical and Mental Health (BBC)
Swansea: BSc Psychology (ABB-BBB)
UEA: BSc Psychology (ABB)
Aberystwyth: BSc Psychology (EE) Yep. I completed their summer school which gives a reduced offer of two A-level passes.

Now that’s the long ass list I was hoping to do 2 Aspirations and 3 targets. So if you can keep to that format please do.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply 1
We can't pick for you. Attend some open days and decide whether you like the cities. Have a look at the unit modules and decide which courses offer you the best complete degree. The Southampton one sounds quite interesting because it may open up some additional job possibilities.
Its impossible to make a decision for you as what impresses one person might not another. Some factors you need to consider are how far from home you wish to be, whether you want to be in a big or small city, whether you want a campus university.

I think the first issue is Durham and I believe Warwick wont accept the Welsh Bac. Very few Welsh students will apply to Aberdeen due to the distance involved and the same might be true of UEA. Durham is a very small city with a college system and is an outstanding university and would be one of my aspirational choices but they will not accept a dropped grade so it depends whether you actually believe you can achieve AAA. Dependent on how you view the course and where you live I would probably apply to Cardiff. It is a very good university in an excellent student city if you do not see the city as too large. It is likely you will get an offer there and they also tend to accept lower grades on results day. Why are you not applying to Psychology there. In terms of everything these are the 2 aspirational choices I would suggest but like already said you need to look and decide what YOU prefer.

For target unis I would apply to Aber and Swansea and if you feel comfortable with the distance UEA. If not Bangor in place of UEA. I wouldnt go as far as Aberdeen. It is very difficult to get to.
Further to my earlier reply if you dont feel you can achieve the Durham grade I would probably apply for Nottingham as long as you are comfortable in a sizeable city. In your circumstances I would avoid York as if you fail to achieve your Maths grade you would be a week after everyone else trying to get accommodation in your insurance university.
Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly
Hello! My Name’s Jon and I’m currently a Y13 Student hoping to apply to study Psychology this year. I’ve been looking at different universities and to be honest I’m not really sure on what to apply to yet so I’ll list them down and if you guys can post what your 5 for me would be.

INFO -

I’ve resit a year.

I qualify for a contextual offer (school is ranked 200+/212) and live in a Polar 4 quintile 1 area for HE.

Target unis:
Aberystwyth: BSc Psychology (EE) Yep. I completed their summer school which gives a reduced offer of two A-level passes.

Now that’s the long ass list I was hoping to do 2 Aspirations and 3 targets. So if you can keep to that format please do.

Thanks in advance!!!

This is a difficult process and we can’t really tell you where to go. Use The Complete University guide to see the universities highly ranked for psychology but also look at other important indicators such as graduate employability. Then investigate these universities by searching through course modules to shorten it down to 5 universities.

Just arrange like 1-2 hours to research and you should be fine. I don’t know why you would want someone else to pick the universities for you. And don’t forget, visit open days!
Original post by swanseajack1
Its impossible to make a decision for you as what impresses one person might not another. Some factors you need to consider are how far from home you wish to be, whether you want to be in a big or small city, whether you want a campus university.

I think the first issue is Durham and I believe Warwick wont accept the Welsh Bac. Very few Welsh students will apply to Aberdeen due to the distance involved and the same might be true of UEA. Durham is a very small city with a college system and is an outstanding university and would be one of my aspirational choices but they will not accept a dropped grade so it depends whether you actually believe you can achieve AAA. Dependent on how you view the course and where you live I would probably apply to Cardiff. It is a very good university in an excellent student city if you do not see the city as too large. It is likely you will get an offer there and they also tend to accept lower grades on results day. Why are you not applying to Psychology there. In terms of everything these are the 2 aspirational choices I would suggest but like already said you need to look and decide what YOU prefer.

For target unis I would apply to Aber and Swansea and if you feel comfortable with the distance UEA. If not Bangor in place of UEA. I wouldnt go as far as Aberdeen. It is very difficult to get to.

That’s a fair analysis. My personal view is I have no inhibition behind how far a place is. My whole Life I’ve spent living in 2 homes around the UK and travelling. In all fairness I’ve been reserved to Wales, London, Oxford Cambridge and areas in that region but I’ve also lived a month in Japan for an exchange and in all honesty I just want a clean start. I don’t mind where I end up as long as It’s a good place with decent modules.
(edited 4 years ago)
Further to my earlier reply if you dont feel you can achieve the Durham grade I would probably apply for Nottingham as long as you are comfortable in a sizeable city. In your circumstances I would avoid York as if you fail to achieve your Maths grade you would be a week after everyone else trying to get accommodation in your insurance university.

I don’t think I’ll miss GCSE maths but I think it’ll be nerve wracking on results day. Luckily, the university have mentioned to me that they’ll accept me on results day I’ve got my be in A-level maths
That’s a fair analysis. My personal view is I have no inhibition behind how far a place is. My whole Life I’ve spent living in 2 homes around the UK and travelling. In all fairness I’ve been reserved to Wales, London, Oxford Cambridge and areas in that region but I’ve also lived a month in Japan for an exchange and in all honesty I just want a clean start. I don’t mind where I end up as long as It’s a good place with decent modules.

In that case you need to decide for yourself. Nobody is going to be able to help you as they wont know enough about all the modules at the individual universities. I dont know where in Wales you live but given you attended an Aberystwyth summer school I assume it is in that area. The sheer logistical problems of travelling from there to anywhere is immense. A train journey from Aber to Swansea .nearly 5 hours for 90 miles as there is no direct route. The bus or car is quicker.es There is very little public transport in Mid Wales and no motorways compare to the South Wales corridor. Have you considered how you will get to Aberdeen or Norwich. It is difficult enough to get to Swansea or Cardiff let alone those places from Mid Wales.
I don’t think I’ll miss GCSE maths but I think it’ll be nerve wracking on results day. Luckily, the university have mentioned to me that they’ll accept me on results day I’ve got my be in A-level maths

This contradicts your earlier statement
This contradicts your earlier statement

Yeah, it does doesn’t it? It makes no sense but that’s what i got from the Admissions. I’mm trying to figure it out myself
In that case you need to decide for yourself. Nobody is going to be able to help you as they wont know enough about all the modules at the individual universities. I dont know where in Wales you live but given you attended an Aberystwyth summer school I assume it is in that area. The sheer logistical problems of travelling from there to anywhere is immense. A train journey from Aber to Swansea .nearly 5 hours for 90 miles as there is no direct route. The bus or car is quicker.es There is very little public transport in Mid Wales and no motorways compare to the South Wales corridor. Have you considered how you will get to Aberdeen or Norwich. It is difficult enough to get to Swansea or Cardiff let alone those places from Mid Wales.

Luckily I don’t live in Aberystwyth. I live South West Wales but I do understand what you mean the only train from my town to Aber is 6 hours around the whole of Wales. Also that is a point point about Aberdeen the way to get there will be a proble but I hoping to drive up even so it’ll take 8 hours+
As above, its about your needs/comforts/interests and someone else's opinion of a course/Uni isnt the same as yours.
Just make sure you look at the course content (unit descriptions) for all three years of the course - which ones would you choose, and why. Remember its the course you study for three years, not the Uni.

PS. Bristol also accepts Welsh Bac - you can use it instead of any 'non-specified subject' grade - and they would consider your predicted grades.
Luckily I don’t live in Aberystwyth. I live South West Wales but I do understand what you mean the only train from my town to Aber is 6 hours around the whole of Wales. Also that is a point point about Aberdeen the way to get there will be a proble but I hoping to drive up even so it’ll take 8 hours+

Your probably not going to be able to take your car. Most universities dont allow you to park on campus and it is difficult to find anywhere to park Swansea dont neither do Bath or Exeter amongst others. You will probably get the same problem with East Anglia. By train you will get the Swansea to London train then across London to Liverpool Street or St Pancras I suspect then onto Norwich. By car you would via M4 and M25. If your travelling from South West Wales have you considered the likes of Exeter or Reading which are fairly easy to get to by train. Bath is excellent but requires an A in GCSE Maths unless they accept A level Maths instead. Southampton and Nottingham are both pretty easy to travel to. I assume from your comments that you are coming west of Carmarthen.

INFO -

I’ve resit a year.

Target unis:

Thanks in advance!!!

Hey there @GoogGooglyMoogly :smile:

Fantastic to hear that you have put so much thought into your university choices and that you were able to attend a Summer School at Aberystwyth University recently, I hope you enjoyed it! :smile:

I am a current student at Aberystwyth University and even though my personal area of study is not in Psychology, I have met various people from the department and also know a lot of other students who have studied in this department, they have praised the teaching quality, how interesting the modules and content are, and the facilities which the university has on offer. The psychology department at Aberystwyth University was also recently awarded 96% Student Satisfaction (NSS 2019) which is a fantastic achievement for the University and for the department!

I also notice that you mention driving at university. Aberystwyth University does offer parking permits to all students living in university accommodation, here is some more information about this, regarding price and what the permit offers: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/parking/

In terms of narrowing down your choices, have you had a chance to visit many open days? Open days are a fantastic way of getting a true feel for a university campus, seeing the university buildings for yourself and being able to talk to staff face to face and discuss teaching methods, opportunities, careers advice, etc. If you haven't already done so I would certainly recommend visiting as many open days as possible before narrowing down your choices.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions or need any advice,

Eliza
Hi @GoogGooglyMoogly,

UEA is a great place to go! Check out the BSc Psychology course page here. The School of Psychology has a great variety of Psychology modules
Additionally, in second and third year, you will have the opportunity to study modules from across different schools, such as Development, Education, History, and Creative Writing.
The School of Psychology also has great careers and employability help too, supporting their students with internships, extracurricular activities, and alumni events!

You might also fancy this video about Norwich to get a feel for the city. It's a really nice place to live!

At UEA, we also have a great careers service called CareerCentral, which provides one-to-one CV and interview advice, workshops, career opportunities and many more. This service is available for the three years after you graduate, too.

If you let us know what your top priorities are when choosing a university, we can give you further advice!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Emilie - Official UEA TSR Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending