The Student Room Group

Deferred entry and UCAS ... advice please?

So, basically I was late starting my uni course this year and missed the first two weeks of classes, so my uni said that basically I should just defer for next year as it'll be hard to catch up.

I took their (and my family's) advice and did that, though I really wanted to start this year.

Anyway, as I now basically have another surprise gap year, I thought it might be cool to apply to see if I could get into a conservatoire (my uni course is for drama).

Can I apply to drama school through UCAS while holding an offer for 2020 at a uni? My uni has really been amazing with all my delay issues and such, but it really would be fun to see if I could get into a drama school instead as I've been put in this odd position.

Would I have to withdraw my 2019 application entirely to do it? If I did that, would my uni still hold my deferred entry place?
@PQ - hi there, 999tigger said I should tag you :smile:
Original post by RainbowParrot
@PQ - hi there, 999tigger said I should tag you :smile:

What does your Track say?

Has your university deferred your place on there?
You can't 'hold' a deferred place and apply again this year.
To do this you will have to give up your deferred place.

You could always do a non-UCAS short course this year : https://www.cssd.ac.uk/short-courses
Original post by PQ
What does your Track say?

Has your university deferred your place on there?

Yes, they did it last Friday it seems
Original post by returnmigrant
You can't 'hold' a deferred place and apply again this year.
To do this you will have to give up your deferred place.

You could always do a non-UCAS short course this year : https://www.cssd.ac.uk/short-courses

Do you know if there are any summer drama courses? If I give up my deferred place through UCAS does the uni remove my place? Thank you
Yes, they did it last Friday it seems

They you would need to ask your firm university to withdraw your deferred place to apply through UCAS for 2020 entry.

You *could* apply through UCAS conservatoires but you would then need to get your firm to withdraw you if you wanted to accept any offer - you can't hold an offer in both UCAS and UCAS Conservatoire.

A lot of the drama schools have stopped using UCAS Conservatoires though - if you're applying directly then you don't need to worry about UCAS at all.
Original post by PQ
They you would need to ask your firm university to withdraw your deferred place to apply through UCAS for 2020 entry.

You *could* apply through UCAS conservatoires but you would then need to get your firm to withdraw you if you wanted to accept any offer - you can't hold an offer in both UCAS and UCAS Conservatoire.

A lot of the drama schools have stopped using UCAS Conservatoires though - if you're applying directly then you don't need to worry about UCAS at all.

So basically I could apply to drama school through UCAS conservatoires while holding my uni offer, and only if I received an offer would I have to withdraw my deferred place - correct (just want to make sure I'm getting this straight)? And yes, I noticed that some like RADA do have you apply directly (which is great), but some good ones (like old vic in bristol) seem to still use UCAS :frown: And thanks for your help, you're awesome! :smile:
So basically I could apply to drama school through UCAS conservatoires while holding my uni offer, and only if I received an offer would I have to withdraw my deferred place - correct (just want to make sure I'm getting this straight)? And yes, I noticed that some like RADA do have you apply directly (which is great), but some good ones (like old vic in bristol) seem to still use UCAS :frown: And thanks for your help, you're awesome! :smile:

That's how it works if you apply through UCAS and UCAS Conservatoires in the same cycle. You can apply through both but as soon as you want to accept an offer on one you mist withdraw from the other.

It might be worth ringing up UCAS just to double check that you can have a Conservatoires application while holding a deferred offer on UCAS standard.
Original post by PQ
That's how it works if you apply through UCAS and UCAS Conservatoires in the same cycle. You can apply through both but as soon as you want to accept an offer on one you mist withdraw from the other.

It might be worth ringing up UCAS just to double check that you can have a Conservatoires application while holding a deferred offer on UCAS standard.

Will phone them now, thank you! Fingers crossed!
How did it go?
I called UCAS Conservatoires and they said it wouldn't affect my offer. I decided to stick with my uni offer but I would have been able to apply through UCAS Conservatoires too. Hope that helps!
I called UCAS Conservatoires and they said it wouldn't affect my offer. I decided to stick with my uni offer but I would have been able to apply through UCAS Conservatoires too. Hope that helps!

Where are you going this year?
Original post by Unknown2112
Where are you going this year?

UoM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending