The Student Room Group

GSCE AQA Music Composition

Heya,
I am currently doing my composition to a brief pf a solemn, reflective piece. The problem is the lyrics. Are we allowed to use a piece of poetry etc as lyrics?
Thanks
Yes you can! Words don't matter, it's the melody that's important :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SweetLeilani
Yes you can! Words don't matter, it's the melody that's important :smile:

I thought so but my teacher is unmoving on this matter as she is saying that it is important for the lyrics to be written as one's own. Do you have any advice?
Original post by HelpGcse
I thought so but my teacher is unmoving on this matter as she is saying that it is important for the lyrics to be written as one's own. Do you have any advice?

Fair enough, writing your own lyrics probably makes it more fluid. The lyrics really don't matter that much in total, they just add a nice touch to make it feel like a proper song.
I suppose just write about something solemn and reflective. Perhaps write about an event in your life, like a holiday or a happy moment. Or maybe make it simple by making a metaphor, like water/rivers/ocean. That's what I would start with.
Most importantly, listen to your piece and create a picture of it in your mind. Then establish sentences to fit with the melody, perhaps a rhyme scheme, and a structure to fit your piece. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by SweetLeilani
Fair enough, writing your own lyrics probably makes it more fluid. The lyrics really don't matter that much in total, they just add a nice touch to make it feel like a proper song.
I suppose just write about something solemn and reflective. Perhaps write about an event in your life, like a holiday or a happy moment. Or maybe make it simple by making a metaphor, like water/rivers/ocean. That's what I would start with.
Most importantly, listen to your piece and create a picture of it in your mind. Then establish sentences to fit with the melody, perhaps a rhyme scheme, and a structure to fit your piece. Good luck!

Thanks for responding but honestly I don't know where to start with it. I would like to do a piece about mental health as I have written poetry about it before but I am scared about what my teacher will think as we are not in a close teacher/student relationship. Should I still do it?
Reply 5

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest