The Student Room Group

Any chance of me getting into Oxford???

I've always been a pretty high-achieving student but I have a tendency to procrastinate. Although my grades are good I have a feeling that I'm not well-rounded enough to get into Oxford (and I am desperate to go!!)

GCSE grades: 99999 A*A*A*A*A*
A Level Predicted: A*A*A*A (Biology, History, Politics and EPQ)
Experience/extra-curricular: 3 work experience placements at law firms, attended Oxford McWhirter Conference, entered two essay competitions, keep up to date with law news, attend local political events, read law-related books and volunteering at the local library.

I'm really passionate about Law and I would hope that would come across in an interview. Just concerned that my 'extra' stuff isn't impressive enough to warrant an interview offer.
Would really appreciate honest answers x
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ewerner9
I've always been a pretty high-achieving student but I have a tendency to procrastinate. Although my grades are good I have a feeling that I'm not well-rounded enough to get into Oxford (and I am desperate to go!!)

Experience/extra-curricular: 3 work experience placements at law firms, attended Oxford McWhirter Conference, entered two essay competitions, keep up to date with law news, attend local political events, read law-related books and volunteering at the local library.

I'm really passionate about Law and I would hope that would come across in an interview. Just concerned that my 'extra' stuff isn't impressive enough to warrant an interview offer.

You sound like an absolutely brilliant applicant for Oxford and for other top law courses!! Your passion really comes across, especially through all of your super-curricular activities. And your grades are excellent, well done :smile:

Obviously I’m not in any way able to tell you whether or not you’ll get an interview/offer, but your application sounds extremely strong to me. Just make sure you draw on what you’ve gained from all the exciting law-related things you’ve been doing and I’m sure you’ll be fine. Perhaps talk about reading and volunteering as extra-curriculars? But what they’re most bothered about is academic achievement and a strong passion for the subject, both of which you are evidently very good at. I think you’re a strong applicant and have a high chance of securing an interview, from what you’ve said here. Best of luck with everything X
Reply 2
Original post by lemmens
You sound like an absolutely brilliant applicant for Oxford and for other top law courses!! Your passion really comes across, especially through all of your super-curricular activities. And your grades are excellent, well done :smile:

Obviously I’m not in any way able to tell you whether or not you’ll get an interview/offer, but your application sounds extremely strong to me. Just make sure you draw on what you’ve gained from all the exciting law-related things you’ve been doing and I’m sure you’ll be fine. Perhaps talk about reading and volunteering as extra-curriculars? But what they’re most bothered about is academic achievement and a strong passion for the subject, both of which you are evidently very good at. I think you’re a strong applicant and have a high chance of securing an interview, from what you’ve said here. Best of luck with everything X

Thank you so much! x

Funny. You need at least 20 A* GCSEs and 8 A*s at 'A' level ..

On the off-chance that you're serious - stop worrying. Apply.

I really don't know why people post these threads; you know full well that you'll get in bases on your predicted grades.

I'm guessing you're in your first year of sixth form: a lot can change between now and your exams. Furthermore, Oxford doesn't want just academic robots, they want cultural and well rounded people. If you're concerned that your extra curricular activities aren't enough, do more.

Looks fine to me. Practice the LNAT, as a good score will be instrumental in getting you an interview. The interview will be all about logic and reasoning.
Original post by ProbablyPallas
I really don't know why people post these threads; you know full well that you'll get in bases on your predicted grades.

I'm guessing you're in your first year of sixth form: a lot can change between now and your exams. Furthermore, Oxford doesn't want just academic robots, they want cultural and well rounded people. If you're concerned that your extra curricular activities aren't enough, do more.

But OP may not get in. There are no guarantees. It isn't just about good grades. But there is one way they definitely won't get in. By not applying.
Reply 7
Is this a joke?

If it isn't, I want you to tell me what the hell in all the world would be "good enough"
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Mum
But OP may not get in. There are no guarantees. It isn't just about good grades. But there is one way they definitely won't get in. By not applying.

That's exactly what I said, and I never said that they shouldn't apply.
Original post by Sinnoh
Is this a joke?

Or an ego fest 🙄
Reply 10
Or an ego fest 🙄

I think you know full well that having good grades doesn't set you apart from the other 5 thousand people that also have straight a-stars. I'm applying for Law and with many other applicants having done international debating competitions, head girl etc. I was honestly worried that work experience and reading around the subject wouldn't be enough.

Don't really know why I'm explaining myself to you when it's obvious that you're only here to make someone else feel bad. Hope you have a nice day x
Reply 11
Those grades are obviously great and none of us know what your personality is like so not sure how one would be able to answer this tbh. Did you place in any of those essay writing competitions that you entered?

I know a girl who got rejected from Cambridge for medicine despite getting all 11A*, 1A at GCSE and A*A*A*A at A level. Another was also rejected from Cambridge for maths despite having similar grades. So grades aren’t everything, but I think they both at least interviewed. You should definitely at least be offered an interview, then the rest is up to you.

Are you an original thinker or do you just know how to follow a mark scheme well? That’s where I think a lot of people with good grades fall short and where some people who don’t do as well, but get in, excel.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by hau28
Those grades are obviously great and none of us know what your personality is like so not sure how one would be able to answer this tbh. Did you place in any of those essay writing competitions that you entered?

I know a girl who got rejected from Cambridge for medicine despite getting all 11A*, 1A at GCSE and A*A*A*A at A level. Another was also rejected from Cambridge for maths despite having similar grades. So grades aren’t everything, but I think they both at least interviewed. You should definitely at least be offered an interview, then the rest is up to you.

Are you an original thinker or do you just know how to follow a mark scheme well? That’s where I think a lot of people with good grades fall short and where some people who don’t do as we, buy get in, excel.

I didn't place in the essay competitions (which makes me quite nervous) but the feedback I got was that my essays were good.
Yeah, stories like that are what makes me so nervous as good grades don't guarantee anything with Oxford. Hopefully, my interview goes well. Sometimes I do panic in pressured situations like an interview, so all I can do is pray I don't have a meltdown or anything! Thank you for the advice x
I think you know full well that having good grades doesn't set you apart from the other 5 thousand people that also have straight a-stars. I'm applying for Law and with many other applicants having done international debating competitions, head girl etc. I was honestly worried that work experience and reading around the subject wouldn't be enough.

Don't really know why I'm explaining myself to you when it's obvious that you're only here to make someone else feel bad. Hope you have a nice day x

You stand as good a chance as anyone, frankly. No-one knows if they'll get in until they are in that interview room, when you will be put through your paces by the tutors.
I didn't place in the essay competitions (which makes me quite nervous) but the feedback I got was that my essays were good.
Yeah, stories like that are what makes me so nervous as good grades don't guarantee anything with Oxford. Hopefully, my interview goes well. Sometimes I do panic in pressured situations like an interview, so all I can do is pray I don't have a meltdown or anything! Thank you for the advice x

My son is in his third year at Oxford medicine. He entered for a Cambridge essay competition and wasn't placed anywhere. Don't let this put you off. These competitions are great because they teach you to research independently and craft a good essay. Please do not over think. As the crazy Greek singer in Mamma Mia (one of my favourite screen characters) said, "thinking at all is pretty much a mistake". Just go for it. What do you have to lose?
Go for it
Reply 16

Depending on the topic of the essays, you could not mention that you entered competitions, but rather that you do creative writing in your spare time. Then post the essays on a blog or submit them to the school newspaper.

I said, "Oxford doesn't want robots". If you're worried about extra curricular activities, just do more of them. I don't know what you're asking here, so this post just seems, to me, like either a troll or an ego fest.

- An Oxford Offer Holder
Furthermore, Oxford doesn't want just academic robots, they want cultural and well rounded people.

No, they don't. They don't care about ECs unrelated to the chosen subject(s).
Original post by RogerOxon
No, they don't. They don't care about ECs unrelated to the chosen subject(s).

In fact, they do. It shows you're well rounded. 60% of my interview I'd say had no relevance to my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending