The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bulbasaur55
Where can i find the scoring system for uni of edinburgh medicine?

If it's not openly available (i.e. on their website or the interview invite) it's likely they don't want you to know. These systems are changed fairly frequently, and generally do not have anything on them that you wouldn't otherwise expect. It is painfully obvious to admissions tutors if you try to game the system.
Reply 81
Original post by bulbasaur55
Where can i find the scoring system for uni of edinburgh medicine?

Have you seen the "applying to medicine" document? Shortlisting is 50% academic (half for best 8 GCSEs, half for A levels), 35% UCAT decile (within their cohort of applications), 15% SJT. Only 59 RUK places this year.
Reply 82
Original post by TCL
Have you seen the "applying to medicine" document? Shortlisting is 50% academic (half for best 8 GCSEs, half for A levels), 35% UCAT decile (within their cohort of applications), 15% SJT. Only 59 RUK places this year.

Where did you get the stat that there are only 59 seats this year?
Reply 83
Original post by SxTagal
Where did you get the stat that there are only 59 seats this year?

Open day
Does anyone happen to know what interview scores will be out of this year?
Reply 85
Hey what do you think my chances are of getting into edinburgh especially since the seat numbers are so low this year.

GCSE: 9 A*s and 1 A
Predicted: A*A*AA
My UCAT: 2800 Band 1 (90th percentile)

Thanks!
Reply 86
Original post by SxTagal
Hey what do you think my chances are of getting into edinburgh especially since the seat numbers are so low this year.

GCSE: 9 A*s and 1 A
Predicted: A*A*AA
My UCAT: 2800 Band 1 (90th percentile)

Thanks!

Edinburgh are interviewing this year, so you would have to do well in that for a place.
Your score look good, but bare in mind Edinburgh use their own deciles to score applicants and average score of those are well above the standard
Hi, I'm a Scottish student and am applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
UCAT score of 2770 with Band 1. (88th percentile, but will obviously score differently with Edinburgh's own deciles)
Nat 5's in Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, German all A's.
Highers in the same subjects (along with English, which I sat in the same year as my Nat 5's) all A's
This year doing Adv. Higher Bio, Chem, German and Higher history predicted for AAAA.
I've been reading some threads though and some people with similar UCAT scores have been told not to apply to Edinburgh because of their points system. Is this just based on the fact that 2770 would not in the top decile? How big of a disadvantage would it be? Also, do the other universities I'm applying to seem okay? As I'm from Scotland I'm limited to where I can apply (only 5 Scottish unis that do medicine) but would I be better swapping one for St Andrews?

Thank you
Reply 88
Original post by imogenx.x
Hi, I'm a Scottish student and am applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
UCAT score of 2770 with Band 1. (88th percentile, but will obviously score differently with Edinburgh's own deciles)
Nat 5's in Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, German all A's.
Highers in the same subjects (along with English, which I sat in the same year as my Nat 5's) all A's
This year doing Adv. Higher Bio, Chem, German and Higher history predicted for AAAA.
I've been reading some threads though and some people with similar UCAT scores have been told not to apply to Edinburgh because of their points system. Is this just based on the fact that 2770 would not in the top decile? How big of a disadvantage would it be? Also, do the other universities I'm applying to seem okay? As I'm from Scotland I'm limited to where I can apply (only 5 Scottish unis that do medicine) but would I be better swapping one for St Andrews?

Thank you

Only 59 RUK places this year so better for Scottish candidates. Edinburgh have required very strong stats in the past, but cut-off was lower last year than in previous years.
Original post by TCL
Only 59 RUK places this year so better for Scottish candidates. Edinburgh have required very strong stats in the past, but cut-off was lower last year than in previous years.

Thank you for your reply, helpful information (:
Reply 90
Original post by imogenx.x
Thank you for your reply, helpful information (:

I thnk it is also that Edinburgh have not released exactly how they are going to score applicants, which just makes it hard to assess anybody's chances.
Past scoring require minimum 8 A* GCSE, A*A*A at A level, full marks at PS and their average successful UKCAT score was around 715 (for RUK which is mainly who we advise)! And until this last year, you could only drop 10% of the available marks and still be successful. As TCL says, that was lower last year, but so are the number of RUK places this year. And have they totally changed the way they are scoring things, or just slightly? I personally hate a risk I cannot assess, so would rather not take it and I guess that naturally makes me pessimistic about Edinburgh this year. I think it is safer for Scottish applicants and their cut off will probably drop as a result, so provided you score well in all other areas (you do) then your UCAT should not stop you getting an interview
Original post by GANFYD
I thnk it is also that Edinburgh have not released exactly how they are going to score applicants, which just makes it hard to assess anybody's chances.
Past scoring require minimum 8 A* GCSE, A*A*A at A level, full marks at PS and their average successful UKCAT score was around 715 (for RUK which is mainly who we advise)! And until this last year, you could only drop 10% of the available marks and still be successful. As TCL says, that was lower last year, but so are the number of RUK places this year. And have they totally changed the way they are scoring things, or just slightly? I personally hate a risk I cannot assess, so would rather not take it and I guess that naturally makes me pessimistic about Edinburgh this year. I think it is safer for Scottish applicants and their cut off will probably drop as a result, so provided you score well in all other areas (you do) then your UCAT should not stop you getting an interview

I can understandable why lots of people have doubts about applying this year (:
And thank you also for your detailed reply
I got 648 in UCAT should I apply to Edinburgh?
I got 648 in UCAT should I consider applying to Edinburgh?
I got 648 in UCAT SJT band 1 should I apply to Edinburgh?
ooh, this thread is quiet! Just thought to remind that most interview offers will be sent by the end of next week.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by Razza2000
ooh, this thread is quiet! Just thought to remind that most interview offers will be sent by the end of next week.

Good luck everyone!

When do unis get ucat scores ?
Reply 97
Original post by lois_____
When do unis get ucat scores ?

They have already been delivered!
Reply 98
Anyone received any offers?
Original post by Razza2000

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the info! How do you know the dates they deliver interview invites?

Latest