The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes
Would recommend this site for character checking:

https://adrianiainlam.tk/ucas/
Yes it is...don’t get too close to the limit though, mine was 3,999 characters with spaces and UCAS didn’t accept it, so I had to edit it last minute
It is but you should pay more attention to the line limit (47 lines). A well presented, readable PS is actually more like 3,200 to 3,500 characters as you use characters in leaving blank lines between your paragraphs.
Reply 5
Original post by awkwardpenguin22
mine was 3,999 characters with spaces and UCAS didn’t accept it

The character limit also includes paragraph breaks, so it could have been that? There's a limit of 47 lines as well.
Reply 6
Original post by awkwardpenguin22
Yes it is...don’t get too close to the limit though, mine was 3,999 characters with spaces and UCAS didn’t accept it, so I had to edit it last minute

Why wouldn't they accept it? They have a limit of 4000.

I'm already really close and have my conclusion still to write. I guess I'm going to have to do some condensing
Original post by ksurdy2307
The character limit also includes paragraph breaks, so it could have been that? There's a limit of 47 lines as well.

It was 46 lines including paragraph breaks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hwpo1
Why wouldn't they accept it? They have a limit of 4000.

I'm already really close and have my conclusion still to write. I guess I'm going to have to do some condensing

Because most people reach the line limit before they reach their character count limit
Reply 9
Original post by Interrobang
Because most people reach the line limit before they reach their character count limit

Oh right, thanks.
Aim for 3,600 characters including spaces. Any more that that and you’ll be into “wall of text” territory and make it very difficult for readers to pick up your most important points.
Oh and DO NOT post your PS onto some random website with no privacy information or gdpr declarations. UCAS apply has a preview function that will show you your character and line count. Use that.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Oh and DO NOT post your PS onto some random website with no privacy information or gdpr declarations. UCAS apply has a preview function that will show you your character and line count. Use that.

Oh crap, I just checked my PS on the website that a person gave me a link to in this thread.
Thanks for your advice tho, I will deffo check it out.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
Aim for 3,600 characters including spaces. Any more that that and you’ll be into “wall of text” territory and make it very difficult for readers to pick up your most important points.

Thanks for your advice! I'll try and reduce it as much as possible!
Original post by hwpo1
Oh crap, I just checked my PS on the website that a person gave me a link to in this thread.
Thanks for your advice tho, I will deffo check it out.

The website I sent you should be fine as they atleast claim that the process of checking the text is done on your own machine rather than being sent to a foreign server. They could be lying but I used one this year and last year and have had no problems.
Original post by Student 1011
The website I sent you should be fine as they atleast claim that the process of checking the text is done on your own machine rather than being sent to a foreign server. They could be lying but I used one this year and last year and have had no problems.

That link requires you to post your PS online, the very thing you have been warned against.
Original post by Student 1011

Why not just use UCAS Apply? Your PS is secure then and you know how it looks on UCAS.

Latest

Trending

Trending