The Student Room Group

LOW UCAT Dentistry-EU student

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help out a bit. I am an EU student and just graduated in July this year with a BSc(Hons) in Biomedical Sciences (2:1). I am just about to send out my application for dentistry but I am really confused as to which universities to apply to. As an EU student I don't have any GCSE or A levels so I am not sure if anyone would accept that?
I also got a 590 UCAT average and band3 which I know it's really low but I was thinking to try Cardiff, Bristol and Plymouth.
Does anyone know if they would consider my application, especially for Cardiff as I am aware they look at GCSE?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ammilea
Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help out a bit. I am an EU student and just graduated in July this year with a BSc(Hons) in Biomedical Sciences (2:1). I am just about to send out my application for dentistry but I am really confused as to which universities to apply to. As an EU student I don't have any GCSE or A levels so I am not sure if anyone would accept that?
I also got a 590 UCAT average and band3 which I know it's really low but I was thinking to try Cardiff, Bristol and Plymouth.
Does anyone know if they would consider my application, especially for Cardiff as I am aware they look at GCSE?

Hi!:smile:
We got similar UCAT (2360) and band 4 and graduated as well this July from Southampton uni with 1st in BSc. Biomed.
I am doing a master in Reading in Nutrition and Food Science.
I applied this year to Bristol, Cardiff, Queen Mary and Queen's Belfast.
I didn't apply to Aberdeen (quite fat), neither Birmingham (rejected me last year with having 2350).
Did you sit the GAMSAT for Plymouth?
I don't think Cardiff will look a lot on your GCSE since they mostly gonna look to your BSc overall classification.
Reply 2
Original post by Sara1498
We got similar UCAT (2360) and band 4 and graduated as well this July from Southampton uni with 1st in BSc. Biomed.
I didn't apply to Aberdeen (quite fat), neither Birmingham (rejected me last year with having 2350).
I don't think Cardiff will look a lot on your GCSE since they mostly gonna look to your BSc overall classification.

Hi! Best of luck!

I didn't sit the GAMSAT as I am only applying for undergrad and UCAS is saying GAMSAT should be taken only if you are out of education for more than 5 years? Hope I am not wrong..

I tried Queen Mary last year and they rejected me with 2520 so no chance I will try again this year...
Original post by ammilea
Hi! Best of luck!

I didn't sit the GAMSAT as I am only applying for undergrad and UCAS is saying GAMSAT should be taken only if you are out of education for more than 5 years? Hope I am not wrong..

I tried Queen Mary last year and they rejected me with 2520 so no chance I will try again this year...

Thank you so much wishing you the same as well!!:wink:
I contacted Plymouth and told me that since we are applying as a graduates we have to sit GAMSAT for being considered so that is why I did not apply as well.
Did Queen Mary rejected directly without interview and also do you think it would be better to apply to Aberdeen instead with a score 2360 and band 4?
Which other schools are you applying to?
Reply 4
Thank you so much wishing you the same as well!!:wink:
I contacted Plymouth and told me that since we are applying as a graduates we have to sit GAMSAT for being considered so that is why I did not apply as well.
Did Queen Mary rejected directly without interview and also do you think it would be better to apply to Aberdeen instead with a score 2360 and band 4?
Which other schools are you applying to?

Oh dear...So might as well just forget about Plymouth too, haha. I am set on Bristol, Cardiff at the moment so started to panic a lot as I have no idea what others to apply to.
They rejected me without an interview. Not sure what it happened so I can't tell you it was due to my UCAT score. Basically the reference I used was from a dentist I am working with and QMUL emailed me asking for another reference letter from my tutor from university mentioning my predicted grades, which she never sent. I don't know if that weighted a lot in my application, I was too disappointed to ask for further details. Was checking their website now and apparently they consider applicants whose score is not below the 3rd decile. So might consider applying now again.

I know nothing about Aberdeen, sorry, I am not considering it as it is way too far for me to move over there. I currently live in Slough (you may know where this is as you're doing your master in Reading) so moving so far away would be really inconvenient. But was reading some threads here saying they have a set number of places for Scottish students with only a few for UK/EU students.
Original post by ammilea
Oh dear...So might as well just forget about Plymouth too, haha. I am set on Bristol, Cardiff at the moment so started to panic a lot as I have no idea what others to apply to.
They rejected me without an interview. Not sure what it happened so I can't tell you it was due to my UCAT score. Basically the reference I used was from a dentist I am working with and QMUL emailed me asking for another reference letter from my tutor from university mentioning my predicted grades, which she never sent. I don't know if that weighted a lot in my application, I was too disappointed to ask for further details. Was checking their website now and apparently they consider applicants whose score is not below the 3rd decile. So might consider applying now again.

I know nothing about Aberdeen, sorry, I am not considering it as it is way too far for me to move over there. I currently live in Slough (you may know where this is as you're doing your master in Reading) so moving so far away would be really inconvenient. But was reading some threads here saying they have a set number of places for Scottish students with only a few for UK/EU students.

I am applying as an EU as well. I am from Greece.
I think you will very good for Queen Mary since I called them and told me that if I scored 2260 I would be considered last year.
Also, Birmingham rejected me last year due to UCAT. Bristol due to my personal statement not scoring high.
And the only interview I got was from QUB which I think went very well but rejected me post-interview due scoring 136/151 in the rank. I will reapply to them this year as well.
I was considering UCLAn but I don't want to travel twice (once to give exam and one for interview).
Also, I can't apply to Midland unis cause of my band 4.:frown:
Reply 6

why sis aberdeen "quite fat"? lol
Original post by DK :)
why sis aberdeen "quite fat"? lol

I am from Greece and also did my undergrad in Southampton and my postgraduate now in Reading so I don't want to travel further away from London.:frown:
Are you applying as a graduate as well?
Reply 8
I am from Greece and also did my undergrad in Southampton and my postgraduate now in Reading so I don't want to travel further away from London.:frown:
Are you applying as a graduate as well?

no, undergrad for medicine but dont know where to apply with low ucat of 2330
Reply 9
Maybe try Cardiff as they don’t look at the ucat score but make sure you meet the other criteria and that your statement is on spot
no, undergrad for medicine but dont know where to apply with low ucat of 2330

Maybe try cardiff, belfast, queen mary (last year their cutoff was around 2300?) and maybe plymouth.
Reply 11
I looked up Plymouth and on their website it’s saying cut off for 2020 is 2390
Original post by ammilea
I looked up Plymouth and on their website it’s saying cut off for 2020 is 2390

Oh no:frown:
Reply 13
Hey I called QMUL and their cut off for dentistry this year is 2218 so maybe that’s an option too
Reply 14
Maybe try cardiff, belfast, queen mary (last year their cutoff was around 2300?) and maybe plymouth.

thanks but queen mary does not look below 3rd decile (3600) :frown:, and plymouths cut off is 2390 :frown:, thinking abt choosing cardiff, belfast, uea, but dont know me fourth onr any suggestions?? plz helpp
thanks but queen mary does not look below 3rd decile (3600) :frown:, and plymouths cut off is 2390 :frown:, thinking abt choosing cardiff, belfast, uea, but dont know me fourth onr any suggestions?? plz helpp

I think you have a chance for Queen Mary cause their last year 3rd decile was around 2250 (call them last week). :wink:Does UEA have dentistry?
I would pick Belfast, Cardiff and maybe Bristol for the others cause they seem more holistic than other unis. What band did you get for SJT?
Reply 16
No I can’t do queen mary cuz this years cut off is 3600 and idk if uea has dentistry and sjt was 2 wbuw

Quick Reply

Latest