The Student Room Group

US University

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a bit of help. I’m currently a year 12 UK student preparing to go (hopefully) abroad and study in America. It’s a completely different process and not an easy one either.

Has anyone gone over to the US from the UK here to study or is anyone going through the same process as me? Please let me know your stories and/or what you are doing.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ewanjwilson
Hi guys,

I’m looking for a bit of help. I’m currently a year 12 UK student preparing to go (hopefully) abroad and study in America. It’s a completely different process and not an easy one either.

Has anyone gone over to the US from the UK here to study or is anyone going through the same process as me? Please let me know your stories and/or what you are doing.

Hi, I am a Y13 student and I am currently applying to US colleges as well, if you need to now anything just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lancpe2002
Hi, I am a Y13 student and I am currently applying to US colleges as well, if you need to now anything just ask :smile:

What are you hoping to go over an study? Plus can you tell me some of the process that you’re doing - I.e are you using common app or ACTs? (that’s what I’m thinking of doing)
What are you hoping to go over an study? Plus can you tell me some of the process that you’re doing - I.e are you using common app or ACTs? (that’s what I’m thinking of doing)

Hi, I am applying for economics at Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I am applying through common app (I am going to sit the SAT soon). What colleges are you going to apply?
Reply 4
Hi, I am applying for economics at Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I am applying through common app (I am going to sit the SAT soon). What colleges are you going to apply?

I’m looking at applying to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford and Chicago, for History and Political Science (hoping to double major).
Oh, that's interesting, I was long unsure whether to apply for Politics instead of economics :smile:, what is your 'spike' in terms of extracurriculars?
Reply 6
Oh, that's interesting, I was long unsure whether to apply for Politics instead of economics :smile:, what is your 'spike' in terms of extracurriculars?

Still deciding right now - how about you?
I was for 3 years National Secretary of a Youth Political Organisation in Italy, my home country, while I was also competing at a national level for athletics (I came in the top 20 for 2 years at the national Italian championships). I am also deputy head boy here in the UK now and President of the Business and Economics Society.
Still deciding right now - how about you?
Reply 8
Wow that sounds really interesting!
Reply 9
I was for 3 years National Secretary of a Youth Political Organisation in Italy, my home country, while I was also competing at a national level for athletics (I came in the top 20 for 2 years at the national Italian championships). I am also deputy head boy here in the UK now and President of the Business and Economics Society.

I'd page theholychilli, but there's no way to tag people on here. He got into Vanderbilt ED with a near-full ride through the Sutton Trust US Programme. I'm actually applying REA to Yale in a few weeks (19 days :frown:) through the same programme. If you meet the financial and grade requirements, I'd thoroughly recommend applying - the support they offer is unparalleled unless you have practically unlimited cash.

Also, your ECs are really good. There's a lot of unique perspectives you can offer, but make sure you continue these ECs into your final year. US universities look for commitment in extracurriculars, and some form of recognition/impact.
Reply 10
I’m looking at applying to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford and Chicago, for History and Political Science (hoping to double major).

Make sure you research universities to find your "fit". They're all very different universities, and it seems you're picking them for the name, not because they have good major options/social environments etc.

I mean, you obviously haven't done much research - you can't even double major at Princeton! The FISKE guide is pretty good place to start, but most the information in it can be found online nowadays (and a pdf of the book itself too lol).
Hi guys,

I'm a year 13 student, though two years older than your typical year 13 student since I'm essentially doing A-Levels again but with different subjects (self-learning and sitting as a private candidate).

I’d only learned of the viability of studying in the US near the end of year 13 and it’s part of the reason why I'm now doing what I'm doing. This is in addition to having had a major change of heart about what I want in life, and not at all being satisfied with my preparation for the initial A-Level exams.

So, I'll be writing A Levels in 2020 and applying to universities one year from now (post-results) to start in 2021, with my current plan being to major in neuroscience/bioengineering (with an emphasis on computational approaches).

In terms of how I'm preparing for their application process, of course, I need to smash A Levels. The SAT/ACT and SAT subjects test (which I'd probably do spring to autumn 2020) should not be too difficult in comparison. Extracurriculars are a work in progress i.e. learning computational neuroscience (want to get a hobbyist club going), building an 8-bit breadboard computer, created a personal website on which I can write on, looking to get some research experience/do some research of my own, may start a hard tech venture - basically I'm taking shots at a lot of things I’m interested in and hopefully something will blossom.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hoixw
Make sure you research universities to find your "fit". They're all very different universities, and it seems you're picking them for the name, not because they have good major options/social environments etc.

I mean, you obviously haven't done much research - you can't even double major at Princeton! The FISKE guide is pretty good place to start, but most the information in it can be found online nowadays (and a pdf of the book itself too lol).

Thank you for the advice. I've only just started to gain information on this, so that's why I haven't done as much research as needed. I'm working with many at my college to progress in ECs and others. Thanks for the information though, and I will definitely look at the FISKE guide.

Original post by Humz007
I'm a year 13 student, though two years older than your typical year 13 student since I'm essentially doing A-Levels again but with different subjects (self-learning and sitting as a private candidate).

I’d only learned of the viability of studying in the US near the end of year 13 and it’s part of the reason why I'm now doing what I'm doing. This is in addition to having had a major change of heart about what I want in life, and not at all being satisfied with my preparation for the initial A-Level exams.

So, I'll be writing A Levels in 2020 and applying to universities one year from now (post-results) to start in 2021, with my current plan being to major in neuroscience/bioengineering (with an emphasis on computational approaches).

In terms of how I'm preparing for their application process, of course, I need to smash A Levels. The SAT/ACT and SAT subjects test (which I'd probably do spring to autumn 2020) should not be too difficult in comparison. Extracurriculars are a work in progress i.e. learning computational neuroscience (want to get a hobbyist club going), building an 8-bit breadboard computer, created a personal website on which I can write on, looking to get some research experience, may start a hard tech venture - basically I'm taking shots at a lot of things I’m interested in and hopefully something will blossom.

Thank you for telling your story/process - it really does help! In terms of applying through the stages, what are you using (I'm going to be using the Common App)?
I think you can get advice from the fullbright commission. Their webpage is also good and they have some web seminars that you can watch. Also khan academy has an SAT prep course

You don't generally apply to specific degree programmes/majors when you apply to US colleges. There is sometimes a section on the application where you can indicate what major(s) you're interested in, but once you begin you aren't bound to these. There are some specific exceptions (usually engineering or business programmes) but generally when you apply to US colleges you are applying to that college "at large", rather than a specific course/department (as in the UK).
Original post by Fear-of-failure
I think you can get advice from the fullbright commission. Their webpage is also good and they have some web seminars that you can watch. Also khan academy has an SAT prep course

Thanks for this! I'll have a look into this.
Thank you for the advice. I've only just started to gain information on this, so that's why I haven't done as much research as needed. I'm working with many at my college to progress in ECs and others. Thanks for the information though, and I will definitely look at the FISKE guide.

Thank you for telling your story/process - it really does help! In terms of applying through the stages, what are you using (I'm going to be using the Common App)?

That's the only one I've heard about so I'll use it where possible ('where possible' because MIT, for instance, has its own application). What are the alternatives to Common App?
Original post by Humz007
That's the only one I've heard about so I'll use it where possible ('where possible' because MIT, for instance, has its own application). What are the alternatives to Common App?

I know for instance, Yale offers three different ways to apply: The Common App, Quest Bridge National College App or Coalition App
Reply 18
How are you going about applying? Are you looking for scholarships? I'm Y13 and struggling to find out all the info I need..
Original post by shantejackson
How are you going about applying? Are you looking for scholarships? I'm Y13 and struggling to find out all the info I need..

I've been looking into the financial aid aspects - specifically looking at the Ivy League Unis because they seem to offer the most financial aid. I've gone via the Common Application process which provides a lot of the information. You should create an account and look at that: https://www.commonapp.org/
Hope this helps. I believe a lot of deadlines are November 1st and November 11th for Financial Aid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending