The Student Room Group

Uni housemate has their parents staying over for a week

I currently live in a uni house. I'm definitely not that close with my housemates, and I took up the tenancy because I fancied living in a house rather than halls. They're fine, of course some things annoy me - but their parents are staying in our house for a week?

I wasn't notified, or spoken to about this - it was only mentioned in a conversation they had with each other. I really wouldn't mind it if it was one or two nights, but they're staying for a whole week. I know i'll be confined to my room, feel awkward about using the bathroom, can't sit in the living room and the kitchen areas. Why would they want to stay in a student house?

Anyone have any thoughts about this, or dealt with something similar? I just feel like a guest in my own house at this point.
Original post by Anonymous
I currently live in a uni house. I'm definitely not that close with my housemates, and I took up the tenancy because I fancied living in a house rather than halls. They're fine, of course some things annoy me - but their parents are staying in our house for a week?

I wasn't notified, or spoken to about this - it was only mentioned in a conversation they had with each other. I really wouldn't mind it if it was one or two nights, but they're staying for a whole week. I know i'll be confined to my room, feel awkward about using the bathroom, can't sit in the living room and the kitchen areas. Why would they want to stay in a student house?

Anyone have any thoughts about this, or dealt with something similar? I just feel like a guest in my own house at this point.

I've been through something similar with my flatmates when their friends would constantly be around and sat in the kitchen all the time, so I would stop eating just so I didn't have to go in there and be with them. It absolutely sucks, and tbh you should have a serious talk with your housemate about things like this, as it's not just their house, so they can't do whatever they like with it. They are being really inconsiderate towards you, especially if you weren't even notified of it properly.
It's only a week. I occasionally had mates from other unis visit for a week or so a time every few months.

Its a uni owned house. Dont stay in your room. If you want to feel vindicated, then talk to accomm on a no name basis and they will tell you not allowed, so you can feel you are right. You can ask them if you can do the same, then mention what a large family you have. If you report him then it will mean bad blood all year.

Ps if they had taken over the living room, then I would be considerate, bit it wouldnt prevent me using the kitchen or toilet.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sconesaresuper
I've been through something similar with my flatmates when their friends would constantly be around and sat in the kitchen all the time, so I would stop eating just so I didn't have to go in there and be with them. It absolutely sucks, and tbh you should have a serious talk with your housemate about things like this, as it's not just their house, so they can't do whatever they like with it. They are being really inconsiderate towards you, especially if you weren't even notified of it properly.

It sucks doesn't it, makes you feel like it's not home. I really wanna bring this up, but I have a feeling that it would have no effect. If they've told everyone else and they're okay with it - my opinion isn't going to warrant much.
Reply 5
Original post by Guru Jason
It's only a week. I occasionally had mates from other unis visit for a week or so a time every few months.

Yeah, but how often for a week? They come over every month for a week, or every two? It's a bit different from having mates over vs. someone's actual parents.
I don't have this problem fortunately. I'm quite social with my flatmates, their friends and their family, so I'm not nervous to make myself food while they also may be making food.

good luck to you. I don't really have any advice for you other than be social and not feel awkward.

If the parent's don't bang too loud what's the problem?
Oh god no! That’s not on! You have the right to be consulted and your opinion count. Speak up.
It's their parents and its only a week- where are they from? It's probably justifyable
Just speak to your housemates and say it would be nice for some prior warning or something
Original post by Guru Jason

A week is a long time.

I think it’s an incredibly selfish thing to do. I would probably just grin and bear it. I would definitely report if they tried it again though.
Original post by AzureCeleste
It's their parents and its only a week- where are they from? It's probably justifyable
Just speak to your housemates and say it would be nice for some prior warning or somethingI

I think they're from Kent? Or surrounding areas lol.
It sucks doesn't it, makes you feel like it's not home. I really wanna bring this up, but I have a feeling that it would have no effect. If they've told everyone else and they're okay with it - my opinion isn't going to warrant much.

I think the least you can do in this scenario is try. Just explain to them how it this makes you feel, and try to come to a compromise about it. For example, have them properly notify you a week or so in advance and possibly try to get them not to hog a certain room for hours on end. If they are are a decent person, then they should understand where you're coming from.
Original post by Leviathan1611
I don't have this problem fortunately. I'm quite social with my flatmates, their friends and their family, so I'm not nervous to make myself food while they also may be making food.

good luck to you. I don't really have any advice for you other than be social and not feel awkward.

I am quite social, it's just I know i'll feel awkward bumping into them.
I am quite social, it's just I know i'll feel awkward bumping into them.

by awkward, do you mean the the awkward in an awkward silence?
I think they're from Kent? Or surrounding areas lol.

I don't know what uni you are at, but if it takes a while to get there then its fair enough they stay a while.
If it happens a lot maybe bring it up and ask why? Also ask for them to tell you in advance about it as it is only polite
I would say keep quiet this time, if it happens again say you're not comfortable. But don't change your habits, tbh if you wake them up a few times they'll be less likely to come back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending