The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

University Choice Help - LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL

For my GCSEs I got 7 9s, 2 8s, 1 7, 1 6, 1 B and 1 5. The 5 was in English Language.
I’m taking Maths FM Econ Computer Science for A level. I’m looking to apply to LSE or Cambridge but I saw LSE require a 6 in English Lang , so I wanted to know whether it’s worth applying there and the if I still have a good chance.
I’m predicted A*A*A*A with the A in Computer Science.

All advice much appreciated, thanks 😁

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSEs rarely matter in these situations. Make sure you have some other extra curricular experience. They don't want robots they want well rounded people. A lot can change in a year too, be aware of that in terms of your predicted grades. Also there's no reason to do 4 subjects.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by ProbablyPallas
Your GCSEs rarely matter in these situations. Make sure you have some other extra curricular experience. They don't want robots they want well rounded people. A lot can change in a year too, be aware of that in terms of your predicted grades. Also there's no reason to do 4 subjects.

Thanks, my school make you do 3 and FM must be done as a ‘4th a level’. I’m trying my best to get extra circular experience done aswell I understand the importance of it.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, my school make you do 3 and FM must be done as a ‘4th a level’. I’m trying my best to get extra circular experience done aswell I understand the importance of it.

I would drop one at AS. 3 A*s looks better than like 2 A*s an A and a B
The above comment about GCSE grades is not strictly correct. Generally, if an institution indicates a particular grade is required in a specific subject, this is usually pretty stringently enforced - particularly for somewhere as competitive as LSE. It is a very easy way for them to bin your application immediately.

Beyond that, while GCSEs generally aren't super important for most universities, Oxford do use them as part of their formal shortlisting process. The extent to which they get used seems to vary somewhat between subjects, but generally they will look at number and proportion of 8/9 grades at GCSE across your overall profile.

However, Cambridge do not have any GCSE requirements and don't weigh them that heavily, so I would recommend you focus on them. I think you would also be a good prospect for UCL. If you retake your English language GCSE to get above a 6 LSE might be an option. You might also like to consider Warwick, which has a well regarded economics programme and similarly mathematical to Cambridge and LSE.
+1 to what artful said about GCSE's mattering.

They all have their own policy, but those are min specs.
In a competitive uni it does you no harm to have good ones. see what the uni or course says about GCSE as some of them like to see a lot of A grades.
Reply 6
Original post by ProbablyPallas
I would drop one at AS. 3 A*s looks better than like 2 A*s an A and a B

I’m fairly confident with all the 4 and schools don’t do AS anymore as they are linear a levels
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
The above comment about GCSE grades is not strictly correct. Generally, if an institution indicates a particular grade is required in a specific subject, this is usually pretty stringently enforced - particularly for somewhere as competitive as LSE. It is a very easy way for them to bin your application immediately.

Beyond that, while GCSEs generally aren't super important for most universities, Oxford do use them as part of their formal shortlisting process. The extent to which they get used seems to vary somewhat between subjects, but generally they will look at number and proportion of 8/9 grades at GCSE across your overall profile.

However, Cambridge do not have any GCSE requirements and don't weigh them that heavily, so I would recommend you focus on them. I think you would also be a good prospect for UCL. If you retake your English language GCSE to get above a 6 LSE might be an option. You might also like to consider Warwick, which has a well regarded economics programme and similarly mathematical to Cambridge and LSE.

Appreciate the advice. If I don’t resist English Language, will I still have a chance in your opinion of getting an offer at LSE? I’d rather not retake as I’d prefer to focus on my current subjects
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
+1 to what artful said about GCSE's mattering.

They all have their own policy, but those are min specs.
In a competitive uni it does you no harm to have good ones. see what the uni or course says about GCSE as some of them like to see a lot of A grades.

Thanks. If I miss one of the min. grades so the English Language in my case for LSE, would that likely affect my chance of getting an offer as I did get good a majority 8/9 in my GCSEs
Thanks. If I miss one of the min. grades so the English Language in my case for LSE, would that likely affect my chance of getting an offer as I did get good a majority 8/9 in my GCSEs

LSE are tough. Ring and ask admissions, but it wouldnt surprise me if they reject you out of hand, because they state the min and you wouldnt meet it. Talk to them to avoid wasting a choice.
LSE are tough. Ring and ask admissions, but it wouldnt surprise me if they reject you out of hand, because they state the min and you wouldnt meet it. Talk to them to avoid wasting a choice.

The admission tutor was so vague and didn’t give a proper answer. Therefore, I was hoping someone in TSR could help and if anyone has a first has experience of applying to LSE.
For my GCSEs I got 7 9s, 2 8s, 1 7, 1 6, 1 B and 1 5. The 5 was in English Language.
I’m taking Maths FM Econ Computer Science for A level. I’m looking to apply to LSE or Cambridge but I saw LSE require a 6 in English Lang , so I wanted to know whether it’s worth applying there and the if I still have a good chance.
I’m predicted A*A*A*A with the A in Computer Science.

All advice much appreciated, thanks 😁

What do you want to study?

I would say Oxbridge are both equal no 1 (but it sounds like you prefer Cambridge). And then you can still pick both LSE and UCL.

Apply for all 3 (but email LSE, just to make sure your 6 in English Language is not an automatic rejection, as if so no point wasting an application on it)

If LSE is no then Durham, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Notts, KCL are all also very reputable unis. I would have 1 safety uni choice probably at like the AAB mark, but if you have 3A* predictions you could easily put AAA down as an insurance on UCAS when you pick your final 2 unis.
The admission tutor was so vague and didn’t give a proper answer. Therefore, I was hoping someone in TSR could help and if anyone has a first has experience of applying to LSE.

Ring them again. I would reject you as you do not meet the criteria. They have discretion, but will have enough candidates who exceed the criteria.
Ring them again. I would reject you as you do not meet the criteria. They have discretion, but will have enough candidates who exceed the criteria.

That’s a bit harsh. I didn’t go to a bad school, therefore surely some context should be put on my grades
Original post by mnot
What do you want to study?

I would say Oxbridge are both equal no 1 (but it sounds like you prefer Cambridge). And then you can still pick both LSE and UCL.

Apply for all 3 (but email LSE, just to make sure your 6 in English Language is not an automatic rejection, as if so no point wasting an application on it)

If LSE is no then Durham, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Notts, KCL are all also very reputable unis. I would have 1 safety uni choice probably at like the AAB mark, but if you have 3A* predictions you could easily put AAA down as an insurance on UCAS when you pick your final 2 unis.

Much appreciated for the advice. I’ve sent out another email to LSE. The first one she completely misread or ignored my question so I’m hoping for a more concise reply. I’ve heard LSE is really hard to get into even if the English Language grade is fine, so i’ll look into other unis along with Cambridge. Thanks again.
That’s a bit harsh. I didn’t go to a bad school, therefore surely some context should be put on my grades

I did*

They dont need to if its a literal sort. People dont have to make allowances for you and they will have many who wildly exceed the grades. Dont email, phone and talk to a human being.
They dont need to if its a literal sort. People dont have to make allowances for you and they will have many who wildly exceed the grades. Dont email, phone and talk to a human being.

Please bare in mind I did 13 GCSEs with 2 languages. I understand what you’re saying of course but I have a valid circumstance in which was a factor of my weaker grade in English Language. Wouldn’t my grade English Literature also show my literacy as I bagged the 7 in it.
Reply 18
I get you man, my lowest grade at GCSE was in English language aswell and I picked the same a levels as u. You're predicted grades are amazing tho, can you tell how I can get those grades for these subjects aswell?
Please bare in mind I did 13 GCSEs with 2 languages. I understand what you’re saying of course but I have a valid circumstance in which was a factor of my weaker grade in English Language. Wouldn’t my grade English Literature also show my literacy as I bagged the 7 in it.

Not sure it matters.

LSE have an admissions policy. If its rigidly enforced then you dont really have a case to answer, yes its harsh, but thats life.

I would call/email give it a go, but 999tigger points are just honest.

If its an auto rejection then dont waste an application on it (and dont get too hung up on it) their are plenty of other elite Unis.

UCL & Imperial are also in London. (although tbh ive never understand the attraction being a student in London, the Unis charge double the fees at PG, living costs are extortionate, quality of housing & environment is awful. And you dont even get the best bits of UK student culture, but thats just my opinion)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending