The Student Room Group

Stopped coursemate from getting a job?

So my course mate applied for a job where I work in a social media role. I don't know her particularly well, but I don't dislike her. However, I was horrified to find out that she had posted nasty things on her anonymous (but not very well disguised) blog about one of our senior managers, so I told the hiring manager, and I her application is being put in the bin.

I feel really bad because I don't want to stop people from getting opportunities, but she lists our uni on her blog and from a few posts you can work out who she is. The stuff she was posting was slander and I wouldn't feel comfortable if she'd got the job, which is why I feel selfish. Did I do the right thing?
Original post by Anonymous
So my course mate applied for a job where I work in a social media role. I don't know her particularly well, but I don't dislike her. However, I was horrified to find out that she had posted nasty things on her anonymous (but not very well disguised) blog about one of our senior managers, so I told the hiring manager, and I her application is being put in the bin.

I feel really bad because I don't want to stop people from getting opportunities, but she lists our uni on her blog and from a few posts you can work out who she is. The stuff she was posting was slander and I wouldn't feel comfortable if she'd got the job, which is why I feel selfish. Did I do the right thing?

The better thing to do would have been to talk with your course mate about the content she is posting and get her to rethink what she writes. In what context does she know or is writing about your senior manager?
What did she say? I wouldn’t have said anything personally. None of my business.
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
The better thing to do would have been to talk with your course mate about the content she is posting and get her to rethink what she writes. In what context does she know or is writing about your senior manager?

Original post by YaliaV
What did she say? I wouldn’t have said anything personally. None of my business.

Said stuff about how people hate the senior manager (based off rumour) and that they were having an affair with someone (which isn't true due to information I know but I'm not going to start commenting and denying things because I didn't want to reply).

I didn't think that messaging her was the right thing to do as I (admittedly selfishly) didn't want to get drawn into it like that.
Said stuff about how people hate the senior manager (based off rumour) and that they were having an affair with someone (which isn't true due to information I know but I'm not going to start commenting and denying things because I didn't want to reply).

I didn't think that messaging her was the right thing to do as I (admittedly selfishly) didn't want to get drawn into it like that.

You didn’t want to get drawn into it, but you stopped her from getting the job. Are you absolutely sure it was her and are you sure of all your facts? I really hope someone doesn’t do that to you one day.
Reply 5
Original post by YaliaV
You didn’t want to get drawn into it, but you stopped her from getting the job. Are you absolutely sure it was her and are you sure of all your facts? I really hope someone doesn’t do that to you one day.

It's up to the hiring manager who decided to take the action.

100% sure, the blog has the same name as some of her other social media which you can see her name on.
It's up to the hiring manager who decided to take the action.

100% sure, the blog has the same name as some of her other social media which you can see her name on.

Oh come on now.
Treat people how you'd like to be treated. As someone said above, it would have been better to talk to your course mate first.
Is youre sure they actaully said that then I think you did the right thing. Workplace gossip can tear colleagues apart when then are supposed to work as a team. I assume that the hiring person did their own check too so I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 9
Original post by Guru Jason
Is youre sure they actaully said that then I think you did the right thing. Workplace gossip can tear colleagues apart when then are supposed to work as a team. I assume that the hiring person did their own check too so I wouldn't worry about it.

The hiring manager and another person checked and saw it so they did do their research.
Some advice to this other person. If you want a job with a company, don’t **** them off online and talk about rumours. Not a good idea.
Reply 11
Original post by Andrew97
Some advice to this other person. If you want a job with a company, don’t **** them off online and talk about rumours. Not a good idea.

Indeed, in the infamous words of Jamie Vardy, "Chat s***, get banged"
Reply 12

It's pretty obvious you didn't want her getting the job or you wouldn't have c0ckblocked her like that.

If it was one of your BFF's in that same situation writing sh*t then i'm sure you wouldn't have done what you did. I'm sorry but I don't like the way you went about things, I've worked many jobs in the past and in the majority of them people talked sh*t about senior management. It happens all the time, and quite frequently. People sometimes talk sh*t about other workers too.

What you do, is you learn to keep your mouth shut and don't go flapping your gums. People hate grasses. There was a big one at a place I worked a few years back and he really annoyed me with it. Used to take any oppertunity he got to run and tell tale on workers to management [including myself]

He was not a popular person.

I suggest next time you keep your mouth shut when you hear people talking crap about management or you're just going to make a lot of trouble for yourself when if it gets back to them..
tbh I don't think you did anything wrong... she was *****ing about the boss before she even got the job??? It's a good job she didn't get hired bc it could have been drama city and youd get drawn in if you know each other

telling on your colleague is different to preventing someone getting the job imo, she's nrver gonna find out about this and if she does she'll assume someone else found the blog
Original post by doodle_333
tbh I don't think you did anything wrong... she was *****ing about the boss before she even got the job??? It's a good job she didn't get hired bc it could have been drama city and youd get drawn in if you know each other

telling on your colleague is different to preventing someone getting the job imo, she's nrver gonna find out about this and if she does she'll assume someone else found the blog

Thank you - this is what I thought.
Honestly, I think you did the right thing.
She doesn't sound like the most mature or stable of people, and you really don't need to bring that stress into your life, especially if she ended up working with you.

My only advice (which is obvious), is to not let her know that you had anything to do with it. Then forget about the whole thing and get on with your life.

Latest

Trending

Trending